Main menu - File - Compare files...
After activating the menu item "File → Compare files..." or the shortcut "Ctrl+Alt+V" the content of two selected text files is compared. These selected files may be contained in the same panel, or in two different panels.
Which text files are to be compared
- If several text files are selected in the active panel, the topmost two selected text files are compared.
- If only one text file is selected in the active panel, it is compared with the topmost selected text file from the inactive panel.
- If no text file is selected in the active panel, the topmost two selected text files from the inactive panel are compared.
Which comparison program compares the two text files
The content of two text files can be compared only if under the menu item "Tools → Settings → Programs" in the tab "Compare files" a comparison program is defined (with a filter suitable for the two text files).
- If no suitable comparison program is defined, the error dialog "Please define external program Settings → Programs → Compare files" is shown.
- If more suitable comparison programs are defined, the topmost suitable program of the tab "Compare files" is used.
Execution of the comparison
FreeCommander calls the determined external comparison program with the parameters "text file1" and "text file2". The execution of the comparison depends on the external comparison program.