Please add a "open new window" option

Suggestions and feature requests.
vsrawat

Please add a "open new window" option

#1 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 04:49

often we are working in fc with all our many tabs open, and the view is set and fills up the fc window.

We don't want to disturb that and we quickly want to do something else in some other partitions/ folders/ files.

For this, windows explorer has a handy option of File - Open new window. With this we can quickly open new window of windows explorer, do our work there and close the window, without disturbing our settings or position in the previously opened window.

I guess the same option can be added in fc to provide the same functionality.

or if there is already a work around in fc for this, I am not finding this. I work in single pane and other pane has been slided out of the edge of the fc so that that is totally invisible.

Thanks.

joby_toss

Re: Please add a "open new window" option

#2 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 08:14

Make sure you allow multiple instances:

Add a button to the (favorite) toolbar indicating FC XE executable path:

Of course, you can add command line parameters to this button (e.g. "/Ini=test.ini" for a different set of settings, or "/Layout=MyPrecious" for a specific layout) in the Parameter field:
http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... eters.html

vsrawat

#3 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 10:20

yes, mine was set to single instance that I have now changes to multi instance.

however, then onward it is eluding me.

The second screen in your pic is not appearing on my system (64 bit w10), nor is joby appearing and nor appearing from clicking on edit favourites also.

Also, in the right pane "default command options", "Open New Window" option is just not there, so I can't add to that. nor can add a new such button or command in left pane under toolbar.

Something has gone different.

Thanks.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 10:59

That's an example from my setup, from my favorite toolbar, I thought you knew how to add your own.
Here is the help file section on that: http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... lbars.html

vsrawat

#5 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 16:52

Yes, that was it.

I could create a OpenNewInstance button, which first appeared on a separate toolbar,
but then I merged that and now that is peacefully appearing on the main toolbar.

That did what I wanted.

However, that is opening a copy of fc window with all my existing settings/ folders, etc.,
and is covering the previously open fc window exactly.

I would have liked to open this at a different location, anywhere, and without any of my existing folders open,

As you said, there are different startup options that I could add to command line that would control such behavior.I shall look into that some day.

And when I close that new window, that must "not" update the settings backup as that would mess up with my existing preferred setup so carefully set.

Thanks.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 18:20

In Parameter field write:

Code: Select all

/Ini=FreeCommander2.ini
and you'll have different settings/window size&position for the second FC instance.

vsrawat

#7 Post by vsrawat » 29.04.2016, 09:26

yes, it worked.

There is an icon in the toolbar now, clicking which opens a new fc windows.

I don't have to any change in ini file. I selected another another file, and now whatever changes I do in this new window, like closing folder, changing folder, changing screen location, are already getting saved in the ini file, so next time it is opening with those settings.

That is what I needed.

Thanks a lot.
--
Rawat

freethecode

#8 Post by freethecode » 04.05.2023, 12:57

this program is so awesome. It is so customizable.

I only have one "complaint" and that is that a flaw with many file explorer type utilities, not just Free Commander.. when you copy or move files it completely "blocks".. it can't do this in the background. I can't remember if it blocks the whole UI or just starting new operations but anyhow.. it is frustrating especially when many big files are involved. Other than that the program is almost perfect.

or is this just a limitation of the free non-donation version?

Marek
Author
Author

#9 Post by Marek » 04.05.2023, 20:25

- Try to use queues for file operations
- For file operations use the options "Use FreeCommander"
- If using drag&drop - try to deactivate the option "Use blocking transfer..."
- Avoid Copy&Paste

Forez

#10 Post by Forez » 06.05.2023, 16:33

vsrawat wrote: 28.04.2016, 04:49 [...]
windows explorer has a handy option of File - Open new window. With this we can quickly open new window of windows explorer, do our work there and close the window, without disturbing our settings or position in the previously opened window
[...]
if there is already a work around in fc for this, I am not finding this
[...]
A simple trick would be to use two instances of FC: by installing one while the second using as portable

You can then also import setting from one to the other or even keep them in the same place; and then / or in order to tell them apart by looking at Taskbar of Windows and top bar of windows of features of them - please follow these instructions: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13188