Multi-rename with F5, F6 & Search files/folders

Discussion and questions - donor version.
lgilbert99

Multi-rename with F5, F6 & Search files/folders

#1 Post by lgilbert99 » 09.11.2023, 17:11

On almost a daily basis I am in need of the multi-rename options page when copying (F5), moving (F6) and within the Search files/folders results. I do not see that the multi-rename feature exists with these 3 tasks. But, I wanted to check-in here first to be sure that I have not missed a setting or a feature that would allow what I need. If not then I would submit a request in the proper forum.
Thanks,
Larry Gilbert

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Multi-rename with F5, F6 & Search files/folders

#2 Post by Dreamer » 09.11.2023, 17:36

I don't understand what exactly do you need, could you explain, perhaps with some example?

lgilbert99

#3 Post by lgilbert99 » 10.11.2023, 19:41

I have a file in one folder that I need to copy or move to another. I am unable to rename (not allowed by our rules) the original file in the original folder. Those files may have periods in place of spaces and/or upper/lower case that need to be fixed. Presently I do a plain copy or move and then have to rename the file once it is saved by using CTRL-M and choosing a profile I have created. With small files that is not inconvenient. But, many of the files copied or moved could take several minutes to complete and while waiting I want to move onto the next task. As it is if I move on to the next task I then have to return to the copied/moved file that is now mixed in with other correctly named files, find it, and then rename the recently copied file, or I sit and wait several minutes until the copying is complete, CTRL-M to rename, and then move to the next task.
Plus, I search for incorrectly named files, usually typos or a misunderstood spelling when the file was originally named. When I search for and find those files with the same incorrect term I would like to be able to highlight all the files in the find window and rename them to fix the incorrect term.
Thanks,
Larry Gilbert

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 10.11.2023, 20:36

OK, so you'd like to multi-rename files + copy/move in one step?

When copying/moving single file, you can rename it in the dialog, so the name will be changed on destination.

Workaround / hint - you can copy/move the files to temporary folder in destination, then multi-rename files and then just move to correct destination - within the same disk it would be instant.

lgilbert99

#5 Post by lgilbert99 » 12.11.2023, 17:19

Your suggestions are appreciated, but that's some of what I am already doing when possible & feasible. The file to be copied is in it's own folder and each file is copied/moved to other folders on other drives, none to the same folder at the same time. A file may look like this: TEXT.TEXT.TEXT.TEXT.1234.TEXT.TEXT.ext. It needs to end up like this TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT 1234 TEXT TEXT.ext. I have the profile set to remove the periods along with other profiles to deal with different file naming problems. So, just looking for a CTRL-M type of option when using F5 or F6.
AND, also within the "Search file/folders". An F2 or CTRL-M option when not copying or moving.
Larry Gilbert

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 12.11.2023, 18:56

If it's just about removing dots, it can be changed easily, even after copying/moving.

If it's more complicated, probably you should create a feature request and explain it.

lgilbert99

#7 Post by lgilbert99 » 12.11.2023, 19:47

Okay, basically you have verified that there is nothing better than what I am already dong. As mentioned I fully understand the ease of renaming a file after the copy/move is completed, but that meant I would need to wait in that folder while the file is copied/moved - which is what I do not want to do for the sake of efficiency. The files are usually large and can take anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute or more. And obviously if the file is being moved to the same drive the task is almost instant and quickly rename that file; but I also copy/move from other internal & external drives and other devices on the network to which I do not want to wait for the task to complete to rename (CTRL-M), I wish to immediately move on to the next copy/move task. I will make the enhancement request.
Larry Gilbert

ok1

#8 Post by ok1 » 13.11.2023, 12:14

From what I can see "Advanced Renamer" should do what you want and it can be integrated in to FreeCommander. Quick search, https://freecommander.com/forum/search. ... ed+renamer