Rename using text editor - How to use it?

Discussion, questions and support.
stephen147

Rename using text editor - How to use it?

#1 Post by stephen147 » 15.11.2021, 15:01

In one of the latest versions of FC there was an option to rename using a text editor.

How does this work?

When I clicked on that it brought up a text doc and I changed the names to these. There's was 112 files here that I wanted to rename to the following in the code box below. I tried having no carriage return at the end of the file and with one but noting happens when I save it.

I saved the file but what happens next? I thought there would be a mask like `[n]` to use for using the external file.

It hasn't been added to the help docs yet. https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Multirename.html

Code: Select all

Lang.am
Lang.ar-sa
Lang.as
Lang.az-Latn
Lang.be
Lang.bg
Lang.bn-BD
Lang.bn-IN
Lang.bs
Lang.ca
Lang.ca-ES-valencia
Lang.cs
Lang.cy
Lang.da
Lang.de
Lang.de-de
Lang.el
Lang.en-GB
Lang.en-US
Lang.es
Lang.es-ES
Lang.es-MX
Lang.es-US
Lang.et
Lang.eu
Lang.fa
Lang.fi
Lang.fil-Latn
Lang.fr-CA
Lang.fr-FR
Lang.ga
Lang.gd-Latn
Lang.gl
Lang.gu
Lang.ha-Latn
Lang.he
Lang.hi
Lang.hr
Lang.hu
Lang.hy
Lang.id
Lang.ig-Latn
Lang.is
Lang.it
Lang.it-it
Lang.ja
Lang.ka
Lang.kk
Lang.km
Lang.kn
Lang.ko
Lang.kok
Lang.ku-Arab
Lang.ky-Cyrl
Lang.lb
Lang.lt
Lang.lv
Lang.mi-Latn
Lang.mk
Lang.ml
Lang.mn-Cyrl
Lang.mr
Lang.ms
Lang.mt
Lang.nb
Lang.ne
Lang.nl
Lang.nl-BE
Lang.nn
Lang.nso
Lang.or
Lang.pa
Lang.pa-Arab
Lang.pl
Lang.prs-Arab
Lang.pt-BR
Lang.pt-PT
Lang.qut-Latn
Lang.quz
Lang.ro
Lang.ru
Lang.rw
Lang.sd-Arab
Lang.si
Lang.sk
Lang.sl
Lang.sq
Lang.sr-Cyrl-BA
Lang.sr-Cyrl-RS
Lang.sr-Latn-RS
Lang.sv
Lang.sw
Lang.ta
Lang.te
Lang.tg-Cyrl
Lang.th
Lang.ti
Lang.tk-Latn
Lang.tn
Lang.tr
Lang.tt-Cyrl
Lang.ug-Arab
Lang.uk
Lang.ur
Lang.uz-Latn
Lang.vi
Lang.wo
Lang.xh
Lang.yo-Latn
Lang.zh-Hans
Lang.zh-Hant
Lang.zu
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.

Karol

Re: Rename using text editor - How to use it?

#2 Post by Karol » 16.11.2021, 08:28

For me it works:
- open multi rename dialog
- select lines for editing
- from menu "Rename using text editor..." open the text editor
- text editor is opened
- in background is dialog visible with the message "Waiting for closing edited file names"
- change the file names in text editor (the number of lines should be not changed)
- save the changes and close editor
- changed names are now visible in multi rename dialog

stephen147

#3 Post by stephen147 » 16.11.2021, 11:27

Thanks for checking this.
For me it works:
  1. open multi rename dialog
  2. select lines for editing
  3. from menu "Rename using text editor..." open the text editor
  4. text editor is opened
  5. in background is dialog visible with the message "Waiting for closing edited file names"
  6. change the file names in text editor (the number of lines should be not changed)
  7. save the changes and close editor
  8. changed names are now visible in multi rename dialog
Here yesterday step 5 didn't appear but today it did. Perhaps it did on the very first run but today again after the 1st attempt it flashes very briefly (like half a second) and opened up a file `MultiRename1.txt` as opposed to `MultiRename.txt` so it had added 1 to the end of the filename.

But once I change the text file in both cases, save and close it that doesn't disappear or no update is shown in the MR dialog.

My default text editor is Sublime Text. Perhaps FC is looking for notepad to close?

What editor do you use?

stephen147

#4 Post by stephen147 » 16.11.2021, 11:41

If I choose in the menu: Options>Select editor and choose notepad.exe then all works fine.

If I choose sublime_text.exe then I experience the same issues that I've mentioned.

Perhaps, if it's possible for FC to check the file itself for any changes as opposed to looking for the editor to close then it has the advantage of undoing the actions in the editore and restoring the renamed files to the original.

Closing the editor is a bit destructive. Leaving the editor open while FC looks for changes to the file I think would be better.

I'll create a feature request for this I think. Here it is: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 20&t=12358

SVN

#5 Post by SVN » 19.01.2022, 20:14

For me it works with any editor (I tried Notepad, Notepad++, Sublime text) as soon as I close the editor window upon editing. I fully agree with you, this is so much inconvenient (given the fact plethora of people tend to do a lot of work in text editors), that it leaves impression of a half-baked feature (no offence to the developers, yes, I remember you guys give it away for free, which is rather noble and decent). So thank you for creating that feature request.

The best course of actions I trust is to use Notepad and copy the list of names to be changed from it to the editor your choice, do your editing and copy everything back. Sub-optimal workaround, of course (but, possibly, a perfect use case for Notepad, who uses it any way?).