Rename Removable Drives?

Discussion, questions and support.
pool boy

Rename Removable Drives?

#1 Post by pool boy » 18.08.2015, 19:44

Hello to All,
This is my 1st post. Here goes...
I'm attempting to rename several USB drives connected to my system. My attempts @ renaming these drive are unsuccessful. I'am able to rename my standard hard drives & blu-ray disk drives but none of my removable drives.
I previously owned PowerDesk Pro V.9 (a very similar program) & was able to rename all my drives.
Does anybody know if it is possible to rename removable drives using FreeCommander XE?
Thanks for listening!

PB

Timon

Re: Rename Removable Drives?

#2 Post by Timon » 18.08.2015, 20:17

How do you make drive rename? Describe step by step procedure.

Drive rename is done by your operating system in Context menu - Properties - Volume Label, but not by FC.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 18.08.2015, 20:30

Current release 694 on Windows 8.1/64:
- go to Desktop
- go to Computer
- select your removable drive
- press F2 for rename
- rename the drive

Works fine for me.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 18.08.2015, 21:17

It works the way above here too, takes about 10 seconds though, FC is not responding, no dialog...

FC 694 x64, Win 7 x64.

pool boy

#5 Post by pool boy » 20.08.2015, 20:30

Marek wrote:Current release 694 on Windows 8.1/64:
- go to Desktop
- go to Computer
- select your removable drive
- press F2 for rename
- rename the drive

Works fine for me.
I've tried all of the above methods...nothing works :(
I'm using the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Win 10 system w/16gb of RAM. So far Win 10 has been very good although missing a few items from past OS.
I'm wondering if the Freecommander 64-bit would solve any this problem. As I'm more than willing to contribute $$ to this program, is the FC 64-bit version complete?

As Always, THANKS for any & all support!

PB

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 20.08.2015, 22:56

Probably it's Win 10, but what do you mean by "nothing works", removable drive is not listed, F2 doesn't work, or any error dialog is shown?

pool boy

#7 Post by pool boy » 29.08.2015, 18:32

Dreamer wrote:Probably it's Win 10, but what do you mean by "nothing works", removable drive is not listed, F2 doesn't work, or any error dialog is shown?
I'm back!
Everything I've tried (the standard procedure and various other options of the same operation) doesn't work...
In the file tree, I highlight the drive letter (usb drives only), right click to show the context menu, click on Rename & nothing happens.
So, I single click on the drive letter to put it in edit mode, rename the drive
(in this case PATRIOT128) but, after several minutes of "spinning its wheels" the name won't change.
So, I open the context menu of ThisPC, click on Manage, click on Disk Management to open a drive list which shows all drives (usb drives included) with all individual names I've assigned to each drive. I can change the drive names here BUT they don't show in FreeCommander XE 32-bit.
The only place my drive name changes don't show is in FreeCommanderXE 32-bit.
My final attempt will be to purchase the FC 64-bit version, install it and attempt to rename my usb drives again.
BTW, do I have to uninstall FC 32-bit to install FC 64-bit? I'm hoping this is not required as I'd like to save my settings I currently have in FC 32-bit to use in FC 64-bit.

As Always, thanks to all for your answers/suggestions!

PB

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 29.08.2015, 20:51

I don't know how exactly Win 10 works, I don't like it and I don't know when, or if I will upgrade my Win 7 to 10, but where is the FC installed? C - program files ? Try to download the portable version and unpack it to different path, perhaps even different drive, if possible, to D:\Programs\FreeCommander for example, then run the FreeCommander.exe as administrator.

Regarding the other question, I replied already in the other topic.

pool boy

#9 Post by pool boy » 29.08.2015, 22:11

Dreamer wrote:I don't know how exactly Win 10 works, I don't like it and I don't know when, or if I will upgrade my Win 7 to 10, but where is the FC installed? C - program files ? Try to download the portable version and unpack it to different path, perhaps even different drive, if possible, to D:\Programs\FreeCommander for example, then run the FreeCommander.exe as administrator.

Regarding the other question, I replied already in the other topic.
THX for your input!!

PB

Marines-11

#10 Post by Marines-11 » 30.08.2015, 17:02

Don't know what OS sys your running but any windows, 7 etc, use admin tools, disk management, to rename or
any format tool will allow you to rename any drive.
RV

Larc

#11 Post by Larc » 31.08.2015, 23:26

pool boy wrote:In the file tree, I highlight the drive letter (usb drives only), right click to show the context menu, click on Rename & nothing happens.
PB
Trying to rename a drive that way never works for me. I can do it if I click on Computer in the tree and rename the drive in the file/folder list pane. You can do it in Windows by right clicking on My Computer (or whatever it's called in your Windows version), selecting Manage and then Disk Management under Storage. Once that opens, right click on the drive you want to change the name of and go to Properties. A box at the top of the properties window has the name of the drive. You can change it.
Larc

pool boy

#12 Post by pool boy » 01.09.2015, 06:09

Larc wrote:
pool boy wrote:In the file tree, I highlight the drive letter (usb drives only), right click to show the context menu, click on Rename & nothing happens.
PB
Trying to rename a drive that way never works for me. I can do it if I click on Computer in the tree and rename the drive in the file/folder list pane. You can do it in Windows by right clicking on My Computer (or whatever it's called in your Windows version), selecting Manage and then Disk Management under Storage. Once that opens, right click on the drive you want to change the name of and go to Properties. A box at the top of the properties window has the name of the drive. You can change it.
Thanks for your input, please read below...

Everything I've tried (the standard procedure and various other options of the same operation) doesn't work...
In the file tree, I highlight the drive letter (usb drives only), right click to show the context menu, click on Rename & nothing happens.
So, I single click on the drive letter to put it in edit mode, rename the drive
(in this case PATRIOT128) but, after several minutes of "spinning its wheels" the name won't change.
So, I open the context menu of ThisPC, click on Manage, click on Disk Management to open a drive list which shows all drives (usb drives included) with all individual names I've assigned to each drive. I can change the drive names here BUT they don't show in FreeCommander XE 32-bit.
The only place my drive name changes don't show is in FreeCommanderXE 32-bit.

PB

Dreamer
Site Admin

#13 Post by Dreamer » 01.09.2015, 20:32

It's weird. Try to rename in other program and then download the new FC portable version, unpack to another location, D: or C: (out of Program files), then run as admin. Perhaps FC store the name in some cache...

pool boy

#14 Post by pool boy » 02.09.2015, 00:26

Dreamer wrote:It's weird. Try to rename in other program and then download the new FC portable version, unpack to another location, D: or C: (out of Program files), then run as admin. Perhaps FC store the name in some cache...
The more attempts I make the more I think it is probably Win 10 as I feel that it is just not close to completion (as to be expected in this early stage of its development).
I will try your suggestion. I appreciate your input!

PB