Size of folders improvements / issues

Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Size of folders improvements / issues

#1 Post by Dreamer » 24.02.2019, 18:05

Size of folders option is useful, but it's not easy to use, few common issues:

- If I enable it for one tab, I may forgot to disable it and it's loading size of all folders on all tabs, even on root dir and it's slow.
- Using "Size of selected folders" is a workaround, but I have to select folder, use shortcut, deselect folders - and the size is lost on tab change.

My suggestions for improvements:

1) Save "Size of folders" state per tab, or per locked tabs only.
2) Add "Size of tabs" option to "Automatic views", to be able to have it always enabled only for some folders (add options enable/disable/no change). (Implemented in 864)
3) Add new option "Size of tab folders" - 1-click workaround to show size of all tab/visible.

Another issue is, that sizes are lost on tab change, is it possible to preserve the size on tab change? If so, add "*" next to old size and calculate new size automatically or manually by refreshing the view, then remove "*" if the size is updated.

Forez

Re: Size of folders improvements / issues

#2 Post by Forez » 13.03.2019, 00:08

How about the Auto Size icon on the Splitter, highlighted with a color when it is active?

I use it all the time, but have an issue with it: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=8535

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 07.01.2022, 21:03

I still miss this feature.
Forez wrote: 13.03.2019, 00:08How about the Auto Size icon on the Splitter, highlighted with a color when it is active?
I already use the toolbar button, but it's not enough, the problem is when I forgot to disable that option and the system is slow, disk is working all the time.

For some folders it's useful to see the size of folder, for large files, multimedia files, but for some folders generating the size of folders is slow and unwanted.

Currently if I set it for one tab, then switch to other tab, e.g. root, or folder with many subfolders/files, all these subfolders are processed and if I switch multiple tabs, it's even worse.

The best solution would be implementing the "Size of folders" state to Automatic views.

Another solution would be saving the state of "Size of folders" per tab, not per panel.

BTW I think that some users use that option even by mistake, or they forgot to disable it and their system is slow and they don't know where is the problem, it's not even disabled on program restart, when using locked tabs, the path after the program restart can be different, from folder with just few subfolders to root, so the system can be very slow on program start.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 10.01.2022, 19:14

Dreamer wrote: 07.01.2022, 21:03 [...]
Another solution would be saving the state of "Size of folders" per tab, not per panel.
[...]
Yes; and by default. But also leave the [current] option for the user to have it appliable to whole Panel and not just a Tab

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 05.02.2022, 13:44

Implemented: Automatic views - "Show size of folders" property added
Added in 864, thanks, Marek.