The FcRights add-on module can be used to create a "limited" program environment when it is necessary that some program functions should be blocked for network users.
This add-on module is only available in the 64-bit version.
How can I use FreeCommander Admin module FcRights?
I already have a "normal" program environment and want to create a "limited" environment.
1. What do I need?
- the "normal" program environment from the version "FreeCommander XE Build 772 64-bit"
- the "limited" program environment as a copy of the "normal" environment. The folder for this environment should have limited user rights (permissions) - just read and execute should be possible.
- additional module FcRights.dll; the file must be in the same folder as FreeCommander.exe - in the "limited" program environment
- First create the FreeCommander.rights file and copy it into "Admin" subfolder of the "limited" environment (please see point 3 below)
- Create file FreeCommander.adm.opt and copy it into "Admin" subfolder of the "limited" environment (please see point 3 below)
- A new line in the file fcStart.ini of the "limited" environment (section [Start]) must be added: LimitedRights = 1
The file fcStart.ini can be found in the Install folder. The file can also be generated if it does not exist.
Example of the fcStart.ini file:
The "Limited" program environment:
3. How do I create files: FreeCommander.rights and FreeCommander.adm.opt
These steps are to be done in the "normal" program environment.
- Under "Tools-> Define keyboard shortcuts ..." define a shortcut for the action "Admin customizer", e.g. Alt + R
- Open admin customizer dialog with Alt + R
- If a command should be locked for the user, then disable check boxes in the line with this command
- If in the settings an area should be locked for the user, then deactivate the checkbox in the row in the group "Settings"
- With "File-> Load rights from file ..." an existing file with rights can be loaded in dialog
- With "File-> Define locked options ..." you can define options that are disabled for the users. These options are common to all users.
This operation begins by selecting the FreeCommander.adm.opt file. If the file does not exist, it will be generated.
If the settings dialog is closed with OK, then the options are stored to the previously selected FreeCommander.adm.opt.
This file may need to be manually copied to the "limited" environment.
- When exiting the dialog "Admin customizer" with OK, the file FreeCommander.rights is created and saved in a Temp folder. This file must be manually copied to the "limited" environment.
4. What else do I have to consider
- The folder for "limited" environment should have limited user rights (permissions) - just read and execute should be possible.