Add a Search box in the settings dialog box

Suggestions and feature requests.
vodoomoth

Add a Search box in the settings dialog box

#1 Post by vodoomoth » 11.08.2013, 18:14

Hi,
I think a Search box is needed in the Settings window. There are just too many settings for me to remember exactly which path I should follow for each of the settings I happen to change.

For instance today, I copied a folder hierarchy with "Use Windows" selected in "Settings > File/folder operations" but I realized that the timestamp is not preserved for folders.

I went to Google, which led me to this thread saying that timestamp preserving for folders is implemented but the poster doesn't say where... (Actually, you have to select a file, press F5 or F6 for copying or moving files/folders, and check the checkbox in the dialog box that opens after you've pressed the key, which I don't find very discoverable).

Needless to say, I closed the Settings window: I wouldn't know where to start looking for that option other than in the File/folder operations tab.

I suggest there be a search box that would allow "skimming" the Settings window: I would type in "timestamp" and only options with strings containing the keyword/substring would remain visible.

I know filtering options would require a great deal of work but I just wish it were possible! Settings overload is a problem that plagues most programs. The Eclipse people implemented a very good solution to the problem.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Add a Search box in the settings dialog box

#2 Post by Dreamer » 11.08.2013, 23:40

I have suggested this long ago, but I can't find that topic. There is such an option in keyboard shortcuts dialog, but there is only one list of options.

I support this suggestion, it would be very useful, of course, but Marek has to decide, if it's worth to implement this option.

Scott_Y

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 24.08.2013, 09:24

The standard means for understanding settings and searching for topics is a good help file. But I expect that won't be available at least until major development has been completed. Until then, I think it would be best for Marek to continue to focus on development rather than a help file. It's one of the costs of using a beta version.

vodoomoth

#4 Post by vodoomoth » 24.08.2013, 10:23

@Scott: I totally agree that it's the cost of using beta software. I mean, every user should accept going through lots of options before finding the one that they are looking for.
However, I believe the "beta" aspect of software isn't really that explanatory or decisive when it comes to densely-packed settings windows: most programs that I have just have NO means of filtering the settings window. Period. Examples: Opera, Firefox, Notepad++, KMPlayer (!), etc. If I'm not mistaken, Eclipse is the only one to have it.

Moreover, off the top of my head, I think adding such a complicated feature later down the development line is more costly than planning for it from the very beginning. I'm not really expecting it to ever be in FreeCommander but more kind of expressing the wish that it already were.

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 24.08.2013, 16:41

@Voodomoth: Agreed, a settings search would be nice; I've certainly appreciated having it for the keyboard shortcuts. One long-term benefit of such a feature could be that it would always be up to date, whatever the current version of the software. Creating a help file and updating it is a big project in itself and usually doesn't appear until the end of development.

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 25.08.2013, 17:53

Creating a help file and updating it is a big project in itself and usually doesn't appear until the end of development.
I agree with you!!! The German help is almost completed. I hope, I can find a translator :).