Enhancement request for plugins installation

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Timon

Enhancement request for plugins installation

#1 Post by Timon » 06.12.2012, 20:51

It would be good to add ability of automatic WCX and WLX plugins install from archive file, like Total Commander is able to do. Archive with plugins contain pluginst.inf in which there is all necessary information. If archive file is opened by Enter, and if it contains *.wcx or *.wcx64 or *.wlx or *.wlx64 file and pluginst.inf, program should offer to install plugin - This archive contains the following plugin/addon: <here must be shown plugin name from pluginst.inf>. Do you want to install it? Yes or No.

Also, despite the fact that I am using FC XE for a long time, recently discovered (to my surprise) that internal viewer supports WLC-plugins. I believe that setting of all plug-ins should be brought "Tools" - "Settings" - "Plugins" - WCX, WLX, WFX, ... as in Total Commander is done.
Not every user will find how to install and configure additional wlx-plugins in internal viewer.

I think that in "Tools - Settings - Archiver plugins - WCX" there should be notice for users, that "File extensions specified by user must be supported by WCX for both packing/unpacking files". For example, Total7zip plugin may both pack/unpack: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, WIM; unpack only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.
This may be the reason why, for example, user would try to pack files into .rar archive with Total7zip plugin, get Windows Error Message with FC XE close and do not understand why it occured (Free Commander - freeware file manager for Windows - error is detected. Application would be closed. We apologize for the inconvenience...)

Dan-cer

Re: Enhancement request for plugins installation

#2 Post by Dan-cer » 20.03.2023, 10:33

This enhancement request is over 10 years old. Unfortunately it is still up to date.
@the developers of Free Commander:
Please automate the installation of plugins. At least the manual describes in a clear way how to install plugins manually, I didn't find anywhere that I have to manually create an appropriate subdirectory and unzip the plugin zip file in it.

Forez

Re: Enhancement request for plugins installation

#3 Post by Forez » 25.03.2023, 16:08

Also, there is this side issue: when I recently moved from version x86 [installed] to x64 [portable], taking with me my old settings, it did not occur to me to have to change the old path to the 64-bit version file, and not merely adjusting the folders location