Forez

FileContainers naming scheme adjustments

#1 Post by Forez » 28.05.2023, 12:43

I suggest two changes to howFileContainers feature names its FCC files

#1] Switch from using numbering format

Code: Select all

to

i.e. start counting them from number 1 written as "0001" and not "1" - for the purpose of keeping arithmetical order in the ascending / descending sort done by the Name column

[If I recal correctly, it is possible somewhere in Settings to change how sorting by Name should behave when it comes to numbers - but FileContainers should be automatically "exempted" from this issue by this mean proposed by me]

#2] Add date and time in form of

_YYYY-MM-DD_00-00-00_

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: FileContainers naming scheme adjustments

#2 Post by Dreamer » 28.05.2023, 13:28

I created 12 file containers and they are sorted correctly in the FileContainers folder, from 1 to 12.

Workaround, create file containers or just copy/paste, go to folder FileContainers, press Ctrl+A, F2 and use Multi rename to rename to format you want.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 28.05.2023, 15:24

This is how alphabetical sort order looks like in my Build 889 64-bit Donor Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2

Which is what I expect but do not like, as it is sometimes counterproductive; but nevertheless but often alleviate by utilizing leading zero or many zeroes

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 28.05.2023, 15:54

Just use Natural sorting.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 28.05.2023, 21:32

Dreamer wrote: 28.05.2023, 15:54 Just use Natural sorting.
This was hat I wa referring to
Forez wrote: 28.05.2023, 12:43 [...]
it is possible somewhere in Settings to change how sorting by Name should behave when it comes to numbers
[...]
i.e. choice available at

Tool > Settings >View > File/folder list > Sorting > [box]

But different systems or software with file / list management capabilities might interpret and implement natural sorting differently - which can lead to inconsistent sorting results across platforms. And I am unable to apply natural sorting in every program I use - but I am able to apply leading zeros

Ergo: it would be unwise for me to start using different kinds of sorting in different programs and to be forced to remember where I did not apply leading zeros trick - which gimmick should be applied automatically wherever it is possible

It is such little inconsistencies that lead to lost of time, energy and data; overtime accumulating to feelings of annoyance and tiresome

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 28.05.2023, 21:37

Forez wrote: 28.05.2023, 21:32 [...]
It is such little inconsistencies that lead to lost of time, energy and data; overtime accumulating to feelings of annoyance and tiresome
So, come to think of it: how the FCC files look like and what info they contain should be in power of users - let them decide [with a simple syntax] as to what and where to put in those filenames

This would be in concurrence with the already given to users over control over options like

Tools > Settings > View > Status Bar

and

Tools > Settings > File/folder operations > Rename / Create > Create file/folder - name suggestions

I myself would like for example to see e.g.

FileContainer #36 ● 2021 01 01 - 17.24.56
instead of just

TmpFileContainer-36
And this is because when I go to

C:\PORTABLES\FreeCommander\Settings\FileContainers

for the purpose of finding some temporary Tab-based work setup from around two weeks ago I do not like wasting time on avoidable clicking and extra exploring of FCC files