How to make folder "activate" for a drop down of files only when hovering mouse pointer precisely over its name?

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

How to make folder "activate" for a drop down of files only when hovering mouse pointer precisely over its name?

#1 Post by Forez » 28.08.2022, 14:54

I would like to implement a tiny fail-safe to my workflow in form of having to move my mouse pointer all the way over the name of a folder in order to be able to drop to it items that I happen to be dragging. So that I do not drop it to a wrong folder, because my hand twitches or a mouse bumps on a not-a-desk-surface [which happens very rarely - but nevertheless is annoying waste of time with possible huge negative consequences]

And so: is this possible at all? The

Tools > Settings > File/folder operations > Drag&Drop

does not seem to have an option governing this, while tinkering with

Tools > Settings > Select items > General > Full row select
Tools > Settings > Select items > General > Theme off (need program restart)

and restarting the FC every time did not affect how dropping to folders works

I am using version 861 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: How to make folder "activate" for a drop down of files only when hovering mouse pointer precisely over its name?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 28.08.2022, 20:17

What about the option "Show popup menu for left button drop", or use right mouse button for drop.

You can use the thumbnail view mode, the items are larger, so it's easier to drop the items, in the new beta version the new views are available, Thumbnail list and Thumbnail details.

Another workaround is using F5/F6 keys to copy to other panel, or the splitter copy/move buttons, this way you have the correct folder already opened, so you can't do it wrong - and if using also the queue, the information with the source/destination path is also shown in the queue bar. This way you can use the confirmation dialog if you want, but with the option you can auto minimize this dialog.

Forez

Re: How to make folder "activate" for a drop down of files only when hovering mouse pointer precisely over its name?

#3 Post by Forez » 29.08.2022, 00:13

Thank you for the workarounds, but:
Dreamer wrote: 28.08.2022, 20:17 What about the option "Show popup menu for left button drop",
I recon this would annoyingly interrupt my workflow around 1000 times for every one prevention of a wrongly executed drop movement

Dreamer wrote: 28.08.2022, 20:17 or use right mouse button for drop.
This would change almost nothing as hastily or too slow released Right Mouse Button would happen about as many times as hastily or too slow released Left Mouse Button; I reckon

Dreamer wrote: 28.08.2022, 20:17You can use the thumbnail view mode, the items are larger, so it's easier to drop the items, in the new beta version the new views are available, Thumbnail list and Thumbnail details.
I only use thumbnails when looking visually for some image; which I do very rarely

To me thumbnails always have been and probably always will be an abominable waste of work space. As for Thumbnail Details- I use Detailed View when in need of checking some detailed info of more than one item

Dreamer wrote: 28.08.2022, 20:17 Another workaround is using F5/F6 keys to copy to other panel, or the splitter copy/move buttons, this way you have the correct folder already opened, so you can't do it wrong - and if using also the queue, the information with the source/destination path is also shown in the queue bar. This way you can use the confirmation dialog if you want, but with the option you can auto minimize this dialog.
But this does not apply in a situation, when it is needed the most: when laying in a bed without a keyboard for a convenience, thus operating only with a mouse
Last edited by Forez on 31.08.2022, 02:23, edited 3 times in total.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 29.08.2022, 12:11

It seems that I have lost all together the highlight of a folder to which I move dragged items, during a process in which I wanted to finally ditch the Windows colors in my FC

I Had not and do not use anything from

Tools > Settings > Select items > NC-Mode (sticky selection)

while now I have

Tools > Settings > Select items > General > Theme off (need program restart)

set as ON [i.e. with its checkbox being checked] and

Tools > Settings > Select items > Colors > Use Windows colors

set as OFF. On top of this I have selected all 3 border check boxes, i.e.

Tools > Settings > Select items > Colors > Selected item active list > Draw border
Tools > Settings > Select items > Colors > Focused item active list > Only border
Tools > Settings > Select items > Colors > Focused item inactive list > Only border[/b][/i]

and changing

Tools > Settings > Select items > General > Full row select

does not seem to do anything now. And also during my tryouts the Hot item was very useful, but it seemed that it was either this feature - or the ability to draw [when holding only Left Mouse Button down] selection area of items from any place in a Panel [and not just from an empty space in a set-up where empty space means occupied virtually by an item rest of its line, despite its name being shorter than names of others in a given column], except when the mouse pointer is hovering directly over a name of an item

So is it possible to bring, with such set-up as above, the highlight of the folder to which I drag items? Or do I have to go back to using Windows colors?

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 30.08.2022, 20:16

So is it possible to bring, with such set-up as above, the highlight of the folder to which I drag items?
I have found now the possibility to highlight the folder. It is implemented for the next release.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 05.12.2022, 16:39

Marek wrote: 30.08.2022, 20:16
So is it possible to bring, with such set-up as above, the highlight of the folder to which I drag items?
I have found now the possibility to highlight the folder. It is implemented for the next release.
Any news on the new public release?

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 01.01.2023, 19:44

In the now available version 880 32-bit public I experience seeing a nice highlight of a folder - or to be precise: highlight of the whole line. And so this is a great upgrade, as this serves now as a visual indication to where a drop of items will happen

However: I am still not forced to drag items all the way to right over the name of folder. In other words: dropping them merely anywhere within the line of a [now highlighted] folder will move them to that folder instead to the parent folder. And that is potentially dangerous, as the user might not notice such "wrong" relocation of drgged items