Select items with middle mouse button

Discussion, questions and support.
Forez

Select items with middle mouse button

#1 Post by Forez » 04.08.2022, 20:34

Note: Topic split from another topic, it was off topic.
Dreamer wrote: 02.08.2022, 20:14 [...]
E.g. With the HotkeyP (free, open source)
[...]
Do you happen to use or know about a such program - but for mouse buttons? That would allow for example to use middle mouse button in FC as if user was left clicking with CTRL being pushed down?

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

#2 Post by Dreamer » 04.08.2022, 20:51

HotkeyP works with mouse too, it's not so complex as AutoHotkey for example, but it's much easier to use.

What exactly do you need too assign to middle mouse button, is it related to system tray, or you want to select items in the file list with the middle button?

Forez

Re: Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

#3 Post by Forez » 05.08.2022, 18:45

Yes- AutoHotkey is what I have many problems with. Its just too complicated / time consuming

I want to add files in various programs to selections with my Middle Mouse Button. So far I managed to achieve that with AutoHotkey in Mp3tag - but still with some glitches. And so I am looking for a program that could allow me to do that in an easy way

I have checked this HotkeyP- but it does not seems to be able to have such functionality
Last edited by Forez on 02.01.2023, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

H.Seldon

#4 Post by H.Seldon » 05.08.2022, 19:22

[quote=Forez post_id=39298 time=1659638057 user_id=7503]
[quote=Dreamer post_id=39272 time=1659464085 user_id=4]
[...]
E.g. With the [url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/hotkeyp/]HotkeyP[/url] (free, open source)
[...]
[/quote]
Do you happen to use or know about a such program - but for mouse buttons? That would allow for example to use middle mouse button in FC as if user was left clicking with CTRL being pushed down?
[/quote]

X-Mouse Button Control
www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 05.08.2022, 20:04

Forez wrote: 05.08.2022, 18:45I want to add files in various programs to selections with my Middle Mouse Button.

I have checked this HotkeyP- but it does not seems to be able to have such functionality
It's easy, create this command, tested:

Hot key: Mouse M (just click with middle button within the field next to "Win")
Command: Macro to active window
Parameters: \ctrl.\lbutton FreeCommander.exe

BTW Workarounds:
- It's possible to use option "Select with right mouse button" if using NC-mode.
- Another option, in NC-mode, "By click on item icon" - "Select item".

Forez

Re: Select items with middle mouse button

#6 Post by Forez » 11.08.2022, 12:32

Forez wrote: 05.08.2022, 18:45I want to add files in various programs to selections with my Middle Mouse Button.
[...]
HotkeyP
[...]
does not seems to be able to have such functionality
Dreamer wrote: 05.08.2022, 20:04 It's easy
[...]
Well, now it does seem easy

Unfortunately using this has a drawback of blocking the usage of MMB for closing of a Tab with. Is there away to limit this functionality only to Panels?
Dreamer wrote: 05.08.2022, 20:04 BTW Workarounds:
- It's possible to use option "Select with right mouse button" if using NC-mode.
Unfortunately this robs users of the context menu

Dreamer wrote: 05.08.2022, 20:04 - Another option, in NC-mode, "By click on item icon" - "Select item".
Now that is a better option, because it keeps the access right click menu - but on the other hand it requires from users to aim precisely for icons. And for me personally this is a no-go, because I need to be able to select items when using only a mouse - which happens when I am laying on a bed thus with my head being afar from the monitor

H.Seldon wrote: 05.08.2022, 19:22 X-Mouse Button Control
www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm
I will try this one later on. Its always good to have a backup option
Last edited by Forez on 23.08.2022, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 11.08.2022, 20:38

HotkeyP has some options to use a keyboard/mouse shortcut only in some parts of the window, but that parameter is the same in FC for file panel and tab panel, so it can't be used.
Another way is to use more commands for middle button, but it cause some other problems.
You can still hold the right button to show the context menu.

There are still the other options, to close the tab you can use double-click, tab bar X button, tab X button.
Forez wrote: 11.08.2022, 12:32I need to be able to select items when using only a mouse - which happens when I am laying on a bed thus with my head being afar from the monitor
It's OT, but you could try the mouse shortcuts, I'm using they (with the HotkeyP only), they are very useful, not just for FC, for example:
- side buttons + wheel
- side buttons + left/middle/right buttons
- right button + wheel
- right button + left/middle button
- combinations for wheel tilt (if available)

I'm using just mouse to: switch tabs, close tab, refresh, back/forward, switch window (alt+tab), change volume, mute, play/pause, seek audio/video, zoom, copy, paste&go.

Anyway, if you want more help with these non-FC shortcuts, it's better to use the HotkeyP "forum":

https://sourceforge.net/p/hotkeyp/discussion/general/

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 12.08.2022, 03:29

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38 HotkeyP has some options to use a keyboard/mouse shortcut only in some parts of the window, but that parameter is the same in FC for file panel and tab panel,
[...]
How do you know this?
Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38 so it can't be used.
So... if were to try coming up with a script in AutoHotkey for such selection [or in any other software like that XMouseButtonControl], I would surely end up facing the same problem?

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38 Another way is to use more commands for middle button, but it cause some other problems.
I can image all the chaos in the end on the account of discovering more and more places / features where issues would manifest in relation to that. So this is another no-go

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38
You can still hold the right button to show the context menu.
Yes, It seems that I can: but with a ~0.5-1.0 second delay - i.e. I have to hold down the RMB for a moment. Is that normal - or is this perhaps another manifestation of this old issue https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35302 ?

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38 There are still the other options, to close the tab you can use double-click
Now such change I could accept. I need to think about it

Dreamer wrote: 11.08.2022, 20:38
Forez wrote: 11.08.2022, 12:32I need to be able to select items when using only a mouse - which happens when I am laying on a bed thus with my head being afar from the monitor
[...]
try the mouse shortcuts
[...]
not just for FC, for example:
side buttons
[...]
combinations for wheel tilt
[...]
Now that I need to rethink. And compare how HotkeyP works in comparison to AutoHotkey scripts that already use
Last edited by Forez on 02.01.2023, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 12.08.2022, 20:05

With the AutoHotkey there would be probably the same problem, but I'm not 100% sure.

Right click delay when using the right button for selection is normal and intended.

Just read the HotkeyP Help, it's quite easy to understand, how the program work.

Here is the hot key, command and parameters to close the active tab in active panel in FC with the mouse shortcut right + middle button:

Code: Select all

Mouse R+M
Macro to active window
\ctrl.\W FreeCommander.exe

Forez

#10 Post by Forez » 23.08.2022, 00:51

Dreamer wrote: 12.08.2022, 20:05 [...]

Mouse R+M
Macro to active window
\ctrl.\W FreeCommander.exe
Long story short: because more commands were blocked in / around FreeCommander than I anticipated, I ended up using

Mouse M&R
which forces me to remember that in FC Middle Mouse Button will only "act as an activator" while the selections itself must be performed with Right Mouse Button - but on the plus side this hotkey does not disrupt my workflow etc.