How do I increase THUMBNAIL SIZE?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
dsperber

How do I increase THUMBNAIL SIZE?

#1 Post by dsperber » 03.08.2022, 22:44

No obvious way to do this with Settings.

HELP provides no clue, that I can discover.

I would like to increase the size of thumbnails (especially now that there is an ALT+T way to quickly get to thumbnails view) from whatever the default is.

How do I do it? Only through something in INI???

Shouldn't it be in Tools -> Settings -> Thumbnails? Why only a way here to affect spacing between thumbnails, but not to actually specify the thumbnail size??

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: How do I increase THUMBNAIL SIZE?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 03.08.2022, 23:01

FAQ The pictures in my thumbnails view are to small. Can I have bigger thumbnails too?

BTW In the new donor version 873 it's possible to set different thumbnail size for different folders/tabs in Automatic views.

dsperber

#3 Post by dsperber » 04.08.2022, 07:40

Thank you for trying to assist, but I'm afraid that FAQ is essentially incomprehensible to me. I read it, and come away knowing nothing new. Presents "hints" and objectives, but no actual details on how to actually get there.

There are no explicit instructions or recipe provided for specifically HOW to do what needs to be done,in order to accomplish the simple request of getting thumbnails to be other than what appears (based on INI values) to be a default size of 96. If there are more than one way to accomplish the goal, that too is not explicitly shown. An FAQ should provide answers, not just graphics that assume total understanding of what is implied. I'm looking for text-provided solutions, with instructions... like a recipe.

(1) There still is NOTHING IN HELP (of the program, which is the logical place I would go looking for "help") that I can find, that discusses this topic of "thumbnail size".

(2) The picture of the obviously customized "action toolbar" (which of course if NOT what mine looks like) which has that particular button (said to be "to the right of the thumbnails view button" that I have no knowledge of and cannot locate it to be added to my toolbar) which presents a dropdown list of the values for thumbnail sizes I can actually select... well, this looks very promising. I don't really think I need to waste toolbar space to have this button (since I really probably only just want to have a thumbnail much larger than 96 as my standard default, with no real need to have a frequently changed dynamic single-click way to choose from all the available sizes... although that's not a terrible thing to put on the toolbar), but I have no idea WHAT THAT BUTTON IS. The FAQ does not provide specifics on how to add that single-button to produce the dropdown list.

(3) I can see how to add individual buttons to my toolbar in order to change thumbnail size as desired. But I don't know how to "consolidate" all of them into that one dropdown list button as shown on the FAQ. Again... WHERE ARE THE SPECIFIC STEP-BY-STEP TEXT INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT IS SHOWN IN THE GRAPHIC??? Or at least some guidance, that assumes I know something about FCXE if only nudged in the right direction a bit.

(4) The FAQ mentions "you can select the thumbnail size by clicking the small button to the right of the Thumbnails view" button". I have no idea how that "small button" got added. I see nothing named "thumbnails view" in the customization dialog. I have a "thumbnails" button, but it doesn't look like anything in the FAQ. And there is certainly no "small button" to its right, at least by default. If it was manually added through some process... PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO HOW THIS GOT DONE.

Image Image

(5) Toolbar buttons are usually/often shortcuts that are otherwise ALWAYS AVAILABLE from the MENU bar. I would have expected there to be some way to pick those same thumbnail sizes from a list presented through the MENU bar "View" item, and then through a series of mouse motions, clicks, navigations, flyouts, selections, etc. Sure, having the toolbar button to immediately present something is ALWAYS superior to using the multi-step process from the MENU bar, but I would have expected that I could still accomplish the same result (i.e. eventually present the same dropdown list and then I click on the item I want) using the MENU bar method. Once again, absolutely NOT TRUE. There is no way that I can see using VIEW on the MENU bar to accomplish the stated objective.

==>> Why isn't there simply a MENU -> View -> "Thumbnails size" item??? Wouldn't you agree this is really all I am looking for?? I just navigate down to get the flyout, and then click on the desired thumbnail size value. Voila!

===>> Most directly, why doesn't Tools -> Settings -> Thumbnails provide a SETTING for me to set at the absolutely minimum the "default" thumbnail size (from current product 96)... via SETTING??? Why is it obviously assumed I only want to change "thumbnail spacing", but not possibly also "default thumbnail size", on this dialog?? Definitely not right, in my opinion. That is what Settings -> Thumbnails should obviously provide, if you ask me.

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 04.08.2022, 12:20

dsperber wrote: 04.08.2022, 07:40 (4) The FAQ mentions "you can select the thumbnail size by clicking the small button to the right of the Thumbnails view" button". I have no idea how that "small button" got added. I see nothing named "thumbnails view" in the customization dialog. I have a "thumbnails" button, but it doesn't look like anything in the FAQ. And there is certainly no "small button" to its right, at least by default. If it was manually added through some process... PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO HOW THIS GOT DONE.
In the "Define action toolbars" dialog add the button Thumbnails, click on the ".." right beside the Item "Thumbnails" and choose "Use internal popupmenu:" >>> FCPopup_Thumbnails
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

dsperber

#5 Post by dsperber » 04.08.2022, 12:59

ralfso wrote: 04.08.2022, 12:20In the "Define action toolbars" dialog add the button Thumbnails, click on the ".." right beside the Item "Thumbnails" and choose "Use internal popupmenu:" >>> FCPopup_Thumbnails
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! This is EXACTLY the type of "help" I was hoping for. Thank you, thank you.

Note that the graphics shown in the FAQ shown earlier above do NOT correspond to the smaller (26) button size icon I have specified in "Define action toolbars". So naturally my results look a bit different than was expected. But at least I now DO have the "internal popupmenu" second button to the right of the primary "Thumbnails" button, which now DOES allow me to dynamically choose a thumbnail size of my liking.

Image ==> Image

There is very likely no way I would have figured this out by myself, without your concise "recipe". Again, many thanks.

I still, honestly, still do feel that MENU -> View should ALSO present a "Thumbnail size" flyout item, providing the identical choice of thumbnails to select from as appears on this internal popupmenu. This is really no different than why Marek added the two additional items at the bottom of this "internal popupmenu" list (and which is a VERY GOOD IDEA), following the last thumbnail size value: (1) Thumbnails list Alt+L, and (2) Thumbnails details Alt+I, in order to make these very likely alternate presentation requests as easy as possible to invoke. Those two additional values aren't actually thumbnail sizes, but are very relevant to what is probably going through the mind of the user at that moment.

And I still, honestly, still do feel that Tools -> Settings -> Thumbnails should really have a "default thumbnail size" item to set a value of other than the product default of 96, even in the absence of configuring the secondary internal popupmenu button. Even if I never need to change it ever again but just this once, to a new single default value other than 96, it really should be possible through Settings -> Thumbnails I believe.

ralfso

#6 Post by ralfso » 04.08.2022, 18:23

I don't know if setup-version has other settings than the portable version, but in a fresh unzipped portable version there are buttons for thumbnails and thumbnail-size.
So if you don't have this two buttons, I think you've deleted them in the past.
Nevertheless now you have the buttons back.

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/D ... lbars.html:
Here's the description of "Details for a toolbar item" (the "..")
The drop down arrows and the popup menus of the buttons are described a few captions below (Show drop down arrow only).
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545