Implementing alphabetical order for file formats of Viewer / Quick Viewer feature

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Implementing alphabetical order for file formats of Viewer / Quick Viewer feature

#1 Post by Forez » 22.07.2022, 02:13

Under the

Tools > Settings > Viewer > Viewer [BUTTON] > General [TAB] > as Media:
Tools > Settings > Viewer > Quick Viewer [BUTTON] > General [TAB] > as Media:

there is this list of file formats that are to succumb to whatever user chooses for

Tools > Settings > Viewer > Viewer [BUTTON] > Multimedia [TAB]
Tools > Settings > Viewer > Quick Viewer [BUTTON] > Multimedia [TAB]

as the go-to player for files selected in FreeCommander when the feature Viewer [F3] or Quick Viewer [CTRL + Q] is activated

The default order / list is this

Code: Select all

.avi.mpg.mpeg.mpe.mpv.mp3.mp2.mp1.m1v.m2v.mpv2.mp2v.mpa.m1a.m2a.asf.lsf.lsx.ivf.wav.mid.midi.rmi.kar.aif.aifc.aiff.au.snd.mov.qt.3gp.3gp2.3g2.3gpp.ra.rm.ram.rmvb.rpm.rt.rp.smi.smil.roq.asx.m3u.pls.wvx.wax.wmx.wmv.wma.wmp.wm.cda.ac3.dts.vob.ifo.d2v.fli.flc.flic.mka.mkv.ts.tp.tpr.pva.aac.mp4.ogm.ogg.divx.vp6.m4a.m4b.vqf.ape.mpc.flac.flv.dvr-ms.wtv.
i.e. nonalphabetical. It seems that great developer first wanted to keep the formats grouped - first video ones and then audio ones - but forgot to keep that up and just added new ones at the end of list. Such concept [if it was intended] could however hoped to be good good only for vastly experienced media people who know what file format to look for in what group - but in reality it was doomed from the beginning, because e.g. MKV is not a format but a container, thus can host either video, audio or both

And so, in the light of this containers issue, it is even more logical to keep this list in the alphabetical order; i.e.:

.3g2.3gp.3gp2.3gpp.aac.ac3.aif.aifc.aiff.ape.asf.asx.au.avi.cda.d2v.divx.dts.dvr-ms.flac.flc.fli.flic.flv.ifo.ivf.kar.lsf.lsx.m1a.m1v.m2a.m2v.m3u.m4a.m4b.mid.midi.mka.mkv.mov.mp1.mp2.mp2v.mp3.mp4.mpa.mpc.mpe.mpeg.mpg.mpv.mpv2.ogg.ogm.pls.pva.qt.ra.rm.rmi.ram.rmvb.roq.rpm.rt.rp.smi.smil.snd.tp.tpr.ts.vob.vp6.vqf.wav.wax.wm.wma.wmp.wmv.wmx.wtv.wvx
I also have extended this list with few other media formats that I know of:

.3g2.3gp.3gp2.3gpp.aac.ac3.aif.aifc.aiff.ape.asf.asx.au.avi.cda.d2v.divx.dts.dv.dvr-ms.f4v.flac.flc.fli.flic.flv.ifo.ivf.kar.lsf.lsx.m1a.m1v.m2a.m2ts.m2v.m3u.m4a.m4r.m4b.m4cd.m4v.mcf.mid.midi.mka.mks.mkv.mov.mp1.mp2.mp2v.mp3.mp4.mpa.mpc.mpe.mpeg.mpeg2.mpg.mpv.mpv2.mxf.ogg.ogm.ogv.pls.pva.qt.ra.rm.rmi.ram.rmvb.roq.rpm.rt.rp.sap.smi.smil.snd.tp.tpr.tta.ts.vob.vp6.vqf.wav.wax.wm.wma.wmp.wmv.wmx.wtv.wvx
although they might not be read / recognized by VLC now - but the intention behind such fuller list is to make it future-proof

Such default alphabetical order should also be implemented for the remaining fields available at

Tools > Settings > Viewer > Viewer [BUTTON] > General [TAB] >
Tools > Settings > Viewer > Quick Viewer [BUTTON] > General [TAB] >

i.e.:
- as Text
- as Image
- as Windows preview
- as Internet/Office

And of course during an upgrade of FC whatever order is already chosen in Settings of a user, it should stay the way it is - i.e. not be overwritten with a default one, whatever it might be

If you Marek are interested in doing those re-arrangements, I can rework those lists for you to save you some time. I used the sort feature in Notepad++ for this, as to not make some mistakes

Forez

Re: Implementing alphabetical order for file formats of Viewer / Quick Viewer feature

#2 Post by Forez » 05.12.2022, 17:43

Forez wrote: 22.07.2022, 02:13[...]
I can rework those lists
[...]
I have dug into the issue of acquiring lists of all kinds of various file formats from many sources- and buried myself with literally thousands of extensions
Last edited by Forez on 13.03.2023, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: Implementing alphabetical order for file formats of Viewer / Quick Viewer feature

#3 Post by Forez » 13.03.2023, 18:18

Forez wrote: 05.12.2022, 17:43 [...]
I have dug into the issue of acquiring lists of all kinds of various file formats from many sources- and
[...]
Finally here they are:

https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12994