"Numbering" items with letters new Counter feature for Multi Rename tool window

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

"Numbering" items with letters new Counter feature for Multi Rename tool window

#1 Post by Forez » 06.07.2022, 03:09

I propose adding a new kind of Counter for the Multi Rename feature: a one that would use letters in alphabetical order

I sometimes denote groups of files not by the

same name + number

but by

same name + letter

and sporadically also by

same name + letter + number

or

same name + number + letter

An so, in the Pattern field this last example could / would look like

Code: Select all

[n] [c] [l]
or

[n] [c] [cl]

As to how it should work, i.e. count and then re-name files and folders? Just like the normal counter - but with a caveat of "stopping" after the 26 item in a situation when user selected more than 26 of them. Then it should spit out an error about trying to name a file in a same way as a one created just a moment ago. Such messages already are shown when inadequate settings are chosen for the current Counter feature

But to accommodate individual needs and local variants, 26-lettered English alphabet could be the default one - while user could also choose an option of adding and defining own version. There should be some kind of quick switch allowing for going back to English version however. Or even an access to a drop down holding a list of user defined alphabets and those provided by the developer with every FreeCommander release and those created by the FC community [in form of some INI file or files]. After all a Japanese user might want for whatever reason to insert Norwegian letter

Å
and decide later on, that it should go before

A
and not after it - while not even knowing that in Norwegian alphabet that

Å
sign is literally [pun intended] the last letter

And also users could choose to go beyond just 1 letter designation and choose 2, 3 or 4; thus allowing for creation of not just "Sample Name A" up to only "Sample Name Z", but going beyond that- i.e. stating with "Sample AA", thorough "Sample AZ", then "Sample BA" and through "Sample BZ" to "Sample CA", all the way to "Sample ZZ" [in a situation when number of letters chosen was 2]. The Microsoft Excel uses for its columns and rows such naming scheme

And if such combination of [c] [l] / [l] [c] would be too complicated to implement, or too prone to user errors, then it could be used exclusively - a user would always write down only the old [c] parameter but could switch what kind of counter is to be applied somewhere on the right side of the Multi Rename window, where the settings of current counter reside

There should also be an option specifying, if the letters are to be written in lower case or IN CAPITALS. Or even which letter should look how, thus allowing for combinations like "Sample Name Aa" or "Sample Name zZz"

zootsuit

Re: "Numbering" items with letters new Counter feature for Multi Rename tool window

#2 Post by zootsuit » 24.01.2023, 02:00

I have gigs of photos sorted by <name> <number> - <letter> - <number>. I have to enter the third- and fourth-level indicators myself. After <letter> hits "z" I add the normal numbering. I'd be glad if FreeCommander had this kind of scheme as a standard option.