Change inaccurate terms for manipulating Panels and add option to set Left / Right Panel to 25%

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Change inaccurate terms for manipulating Panels and add option to set Left / Right Panel to 25%

#1 Post by Forez » 05.07.2022, 20:19

[The numbers are added for easier following of changes, while the >>n<< denotes entirely new entries]

Under the right click menu for Splitter user see shortcuts for

#1 Split horizontal/vertical
#2 dual/one panel
#3 Same folder
#4 Swap
------------------------------------
#5 Split 0/100%
#6 Set active panel to 25%
#7 Set active panel to 50%
#8 Set active panel to 75%
#9 Split 100/0%
#10 Settings...
#11 Define action toolbars

In my opinion the they should be re-named and [in the right click menu] rearranged to, and also expanded to:

#2 Single / Dual View *
#1 Horizontal / Vertical Mode *
#4 Swap Panels
#3 Clone** Active Tab
#5 Split 0 | 100%
#n Split 25 | 100%
#n Split 50 | 50%
#n Split 75 | 25%
#9 Split 100 | 0%
#6 Set Active Panel to 25%
#n Set Inactive Panel to 50%
#8 Set Active Panel to 75%
#n Set Inactive Panel to 50%
#10 Settings of Splitter
#11 Define action toolbars

Please take notice of where and how in the above proposition are used signs >>/<< and >>|<< [and also of pauses and capitals]. Note also that clear divide between three areas, with every one >>------------------------------------<< standing in for one horizontal Separator line. Important is also the ditching of option #7 in its entirety, because it would just double the function of the new >>Split 50 | 50 %<< entry. As for the * caveat, I propose using either View or Mode for both of these entries. And in case of ** caveat instead of Clone also term Copy would be proper. And #10 has more precised description because it does evoke options for all toolbars - while its current name suggests it does, especially that it sits just above entry #11 which has plural form; i.e. toolbars

The most profound change I hereby propose is [in the second sub-menu] to account for the current lack of option for choosing which Panel is to be enlarged on the basis of its fixed position - because the current system relays only on the Active / Inactive Panel approach. And those old options [thrown down by me to the third sub-menu] could even be viewed as obsolete if my approach based on Left / Right distinction gets implemented, and as such could be after a year or two completely removed [with that time span serving as an transition state for old time users, so to provide an "explanation" for them withing FreeCommander itself, thus avoid wasting time by them on looking for answers to question "wasn't there something else here?" and "how I am suppose now to change the size of my Active Panel that happens to be Left?"]

Forez

Re: Change inaccurate terms for manipulating Panels and add option to set Left / Right Panel to 25%

#2 Post by Forez » 31.12.2022, 20:21

Forez wrote: 05.07.2022, 20:19 [...]
#5 Split 0 | 100%
#n Split 25 | 100%
#n Split 50 | 50%
#n Split 75 | 25%
#9 Split 100 | 0%
[...]
I see that this portion of my suggestions have been implemented in version 880 32-bit public. Great

So now I am looking forward for other voices supporting my other ideas concerning this menu - or suggesting alternate takes