Recycle Bin is re-read every time a tab is closed

Bugs and issues.
Forez

Recycle Bin is re-read every time a tab is closed

#1 Post by Forez » 12.06.2022, 20:42

Before I describe the bug I must explain, that below by Recycle Bin I will mean that which opens when for example in the right Panel after clicking on a Favorite icon / shortcut with the Parameter set to

Code: Select all

-T -C -R=::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
And other caveats are:

1] That Recycle Bin holds big amounts of items [like 2500+] which are reported as having all together weight of 45 GB

2] The items are spread across multiple devices because [this] user is using 4 SATA SSDs and 2 M.2 NVMe installed in the PC

3] User's files when deleted are moved to Recycle Bin and not deleted for good. [Yes, I know it is not for good unless the space they occupied was overwritten with new data]

4] User has chosen to use in FC option

Tools > Settings > File / folder operations > General > Delete > Use Windows

And now the bug:

If the user has many tabs opened and [this is important] the last active one happens to be Recycle Bin, then when user executes

Close all folder tabs

or

Close all tabs in both panels

features, then after such clean-up [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12836] the last active tab that will be left after this will be the Recycle Bin. Unfortunately during that process the tabs are apparently closed on a one-by-one basis - and because of that the user has to wait for FreeComamnder to end that whole chain of events. And when a user has significant amount of deleted stuff, then this can take a significant amount of time [see my caveat A - and maybe also caveat B dictates the needed time]

And either this re-reading of Recycle Bin is the bug - or - it was an intended behavior but the bug here is that automatic closure of tabs executed in a one-by-one matter

Either way I propose herein that the Recycle Bin nor any other folder should be ever re-read when it is shown in a tab and when at the same time some other tabs are being closed. And also I propose that a selection of items in such shown tab should not be cancelled when other tab was just cancelled - because this is also some unnecessary annoyance that currently occurs

I am using FreeCommander 861 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746
Last edited by Forez on 09.04.2023, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: Recycle Bin is re-read every time a tab is closed

#2 Post by Forez » 08.01.2023, 17:44

Forez wrote: 12.06.2022, 20:42 [...]
And now the bug:
[...]
This unnecessary re-reading of folders is still happening in the new version 880 32-bit public

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 09.04.2023, 16:53

But apparently it is not happening in version 887 64-bit Donor Portable

So, has this been fixed for good - or is it just "fixing" itself when performed in x64 version of FC?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 09.04.2023, 17:59

Since you have so many items in the recycle bin, tip for you, try to use one file container tab as a fake recycle bin, just drag the items to this tab, I'm using this way sometimes, when I plan to delete some files later, but I can't move them to recycle bin. Just the option "sort by "date deletes" will be unavailable for file container. You can create even multiple file container tabs and sort "deleted" items like this, if needed.

You can move any files from file container to recycle bin, or delete permanently or restore - just by using button "remove", so it will be removed from file container, and it will be preserved in its original location.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 09.04.2023, 19:51

Interesting ideas

But with the amount of various files that I download, create, copy temporarily and backopy for longer periods of time I would be shortening life spans of my SSDs and NVMes- because as a use of multiple volumes I would need to use one fake Recycle Bin for all of them to not complicate things

As for using Container- it would interfere with how I handle in my music alone and not just in Mp3tag

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 09.04.2023, 20:36

Forez wrote: 09.04.2023, 19:51I would be shortening life spans of my SSDs and NVMes- because as a use of multiple volumes I would need to use one fake Recycle Bin for all of them to not complicate things
I don't think so, file container does not change or move any files or folder, just the item path is added to file container file list, it's like a text file with different extension, you can even open it in internal viewer or notepad.

Using file container, item's original name and path is not changed - if moving the item to recycle bin, item's full path is changed, also if the item is restored, so perhaps using file container could be even better.

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 24.04.2023, 20:28

OK, but unfortunately
Forez wrote: 09.04.2023, 19:51 [...]
it would interfere with how I handle in my music alone and not just in Mp3tag