During cutting and pasting of files between programs one of them gets blocked [RESOLVED]

Bugs and issues.
Forez

During cutting and pasting of files between programs one of them gets blocked [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by Forez » 12.06.2022, 16:13

I have this issue when:

1] in some other software I tell it to open selected file in FreeCommander

2] I cut the file out from FC

3] I go back to window of that other program [because I want to use it to open another location from it within FC] - and it gets blocked to the point where usually I have to re-open that other software, if switching between currently other various open windows does not help

This happens rarely and I think never on the first time when performing such operation - it seems that the longer I work, thus more such repeated operation perform, the more often that other software gets blocked [and I need to reset the system to stop my workflow being interrupted]

In my recent setup only two things have been changed FreeCommander from 860 32-bit Public to 861 and that other software from a 32-bit version to a x64

And thus my question is: does anyone else have experiences recently a similar issue - in a combo of using FC with some other file-handling related issues. Because if not, then that would point out clearly to that other software as being the culprit

My operating system is Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746
Last edited by Forez on 25.05.2023, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

Re: During cutting and pasting of files between programs one of them gets blocked

#2 Post by Forez » 25.05.2023, 22:56

It seems that after changing also FreeCommander from x86 to x64 version of it this annoyance no longer occurs

sfgs97

Re: During cutting and pasting of files between programs one of them gets blocked [RESOLVED]

#3 Post by sfgs97 » 01.06.2023, 19:15

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're explaining in step 3. However, since you asked about "other file-handling related issues" in combo with FC, I've experienced the following:

If I copy a file in Windows File Explorer and then close that window, it won't paste into FreeCommander. It will only paste if explorer is left open. Before gaining access to this forum, I reported this bug to Marek via email and he replied back saying that's normal between all file manager programs. I replied explaining in my experience that hasn't been the case with any managers but FC. It doesn't happen with XYPlorer, FileVoyager, or several others I've tried in the past. With them it definitely is possible to copy a file from Windows File Explorer, close explorer, and then still paste the copied file into all those other file managers. Unfortunately, he never replied back. I wasn't disrespectful in any way but maybe he still got mad anyway that I provided unequivocal proof that other file managers definitely can paste a file copied in explorer even if all explorer windows have been closed first. Furthermore, since then I've even discovered that if 2 instances of FreeCommander are open and you copy a file in one, then close that one, you can't even paste it into the other instance of FC that has been open the whole time. Clearly there are copy/paste issues with FreeCommander that do not exist either with Windows File Explorer or various other alternate file managers. I sincerely hope this gets fixed one day in order to bring FC into functional equivalence with explorer and other file managers... I would be happy to donate if it does. But, honestly, I see no reason to do so if I provide multiple verifiable examples of there being a problem with FC that doesn't exist with other file managers but nevertheless that information gets ignored. Maybe Marek has been so busy for the past several weeks he didn't even have a spare few seconds to click reply and say he'd look into it. Maybe... but it would have been nice to acknowledge my effort to bring it to go the extra mile to bring the issue to his attention and explain it further by simply take a few seconds to say he'd investigate further when time allowed. Anyway, hopefully this additional info sheds some light on your issue. Otherwise, if you can explain step 3 another way, I'll try to help further.

Forez

Re: During cutting and pasting of files between programs one of them gets blocked [RESOLVED]

#4 Post by Forez » 03.06.2023, 12:07

Well, that is a bummer that indeed is happening with the latest portable builds of both 32-bit and 64-bit versions

I have never noticed it only because of my personal habit of no closing whatever I am using unless [in case of file-handlers] I do get to see content from one successfully been moved / copied to other
Last edited by Forez on 09.06.2023, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

sfgs97

#5 Post by sfgs97 » 07.06.2023, 18:55

Forez,

Thanks for confirming this file copy/paste problem also occurs in the 64 bit version. I'm not sure why Marek declared this is normal behavior in all other file managers when it definitely does not occur in any of the multiple ones I've tried. Indeed, out of everyone I know, absolutely no one has experienced this problem in any file manager whatsoever other than FreeCommander. I sincerely hope Marek will acknowledge this reality, at least to himself, and resolve in FC. I genuinely think FC is the best file manager I've ever used (and I've recommended it to others) but this is undeniably a serious problem that is not occuring in Windows File Explorer or any of the top tier alternate file managers myself and others have tested. Therefore, I hope it gets fixed so FileCommander will become even greater.

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 08.06.2023, 20:04

If I copy a file in Windows File Explorer and then close that window, it won't paste into FreeCommander. It will only paste if explorer is left open.
Unfortunately I have tested not the same file manager as yours and the behavior was the same as in FC.
I have checked, that after closing FC the Clipboard is empty - this is the cause why you can not paste saved items.
Currently I don't know why the clipboard is cleared (probably Windows make it).
I need to investigate further.

sfgs97

#7 Post by sfgs97 » 09.06.2023, 13:23

Marek wrote: 08.06.2023, 20:04
If I copy a file in Windows File Explorer and then close that window, it won't paste into FreeCommander. It will only paste if explorer is left open.
...I have checked, that after closing FC the Clipboard is empty - this is the cause why you can not paste saved items...
FC is not closed. I will expand upon what I said above... If I copy a file in Windows File Explorer and then close that File Explorer window, it won't paste into FreeCommander. It will only paste if Windows File Explorer is left open. During this entire time FreeCommander is open, it is not closed.

Windows is not clearing the Windows clipboard. I have confirmed this many times. So have others. That is why I also explained this situation does not occur with any other file managers tested. For example, if a file is copied in Windows File Explorer and that File Explorer window is closed, the file can still be pasted into XYPlorer, FileVoyager, and other file managers. Additionally, it can also be pasted into another Windows File Explorer folder if Windows File Explorer is opened again. That is because in all these situations, the file remains in the Windows clipboard.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. If I can answer any questions or do any testing towards fixing this problem in FreeCommander, feel free to ask. I am happy to help. Thanks for continuing to develop and improve FC.

Marek
Author
Author

#8 Post by Marek » 10.06.2023, 20:37

FC is not closed. I will expand upon what I said above... If I copy a file in Windows File Explorer and then close that File Explorer window, it won't paste into FreeCommander. It will only paste if Windows File Explorer is left open. During this entire time FreeCommander is open, it is not closed.
OK, please try to add the following line in the freecommander.ini in the section [Form] :
CopyPasteInThread=0

This should work, but for really big files you have to wait for the operation to finish to continue working.

sfgs97

#9 Post by sfgs97 » 10.06.2023, 23:14

Marek wrote: 10.06.2023, 20:37 OK, please try to add the following line in the freecommander.ini in the section [Form] :
CopyPasteInThread=0

This should work, but for really big files you have to wait for the operation to finish to continue working.
That solves the problem. Thank you!!! For anyone else who might come across this thread in the future when seeking a solution to this issue, you might find the following helpful:

At least in the portable version, there are 2 copies of freecommander.ini
The first one I found (in App\DefaultData\settings) and edited (as instructed above) didn't help. But then I found another one (in Data\settings) and adding the line above to it did resolve the issue. Therefore, that one definitely needs the edit but if that alone doesn't work then make the edit to both.

Marek
Author
Author

#10 Post by Marek » 11.06.2023, 13:28

At least in the portable version, there are 2 copies of freecommander.ini
Currently used freecommander.ini you can always find under Help->About.
For changing in the freecommander.ini:
- check the location under Help->About
- close FreeCommander
- make changes in the freecommander.ini with a text editor
- start FreeCommander

Forez

#11 Post by Forez » 12.06.2023, 10:38

I works now also for me, afer adding that line to the INI file

This should be made the default behavior in the next release

horst.epp

#12 Post by horst.epp » 12.06.2023, 18:45

sfgs97 wrote: 10.06.2023, 23:14 At least in the portable version, there are 2 copies of freecommander.ini
The first one I found (in App\DefaultData\settings) and edited (as instructed above) didn't help. But then I found another one (in Data\settings) and adding the line above to it did resolve the issue. Therefore, that one definitely needs the edit but if that alone doesn't work then make the edit to both.
Thats not true for me, if you always had the portable version.
On my system, which always had the updated actual portable x64 FC version,
there is only one FreeCommander.ini on the whole system (checked with Everything).
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

sfgs97

#13 Post by sfgs97 » 12.06.2023, 19:07

horst.epp wrote: 12.06.2023, 18:45
sfgs97 wrote: 10.06.2023, 23:14 At least in the portable version, there are 2 copies of freecommander.ini
Thats not true for me, if you always had the portable version.
On my system, which always had the updated actual portable x64 FC version,
there is only one FreeCommander.ini on the whole system (checked with Everything).
I have always had the portable version; I have never had the installed version. And I absolutely have 2 copies of freecommander.ini in the 2 locations indicated. Furthermore, Marek has already commented that "Currently used freecommander.ini you can always find under Help->About." This further comfirms it is possible to have 2 versions. I'm not sure why my portable version has 2 copies and yours only has 1 other than I'm using the 32 bit version and you indicate you've always only had the x64 version. Perhaps that's the difference. In any case, I am satisfied with my post since obviously it is possible to have 2 copies and for anyone else who had 2 copies it could be helpful info to be aware of this possibility and know where both are located.