Lack of auto-Reload causes blocking of Multi Rename window - a need for Undo button?

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Lack of auto-Reload causes blocking of Multi Rename window - a need for Undo button?

#1 Post by Forez » 08.05.2022, 14:27

I sometimes perform on my files two renaming task in a subsequent matter. These are:

A] Renaming with the usage of Multi Rename > Settings > Pattern > File Name

B] Renaming with the usage of Multi Rename > Profiles

And every time I do so in that particular error [i.e. A ---> B], I am reminded by a pop-up window with an error that the user between the "A" and "B" process has to manually reload the list of files present in Multi Rename window by clicking a particular button. And that requires five tiresome / unnecessary clicks:
1] closing of the pop-up window
2] pressing the Reload button
3] going back to Profiles
4-5] repeating execution of a stored profile

While when working the other way [i.e. B ---> A], there is no pop up window, but still the user has to manually reload the list of files

And so for consideration are:

I] Cannot the Multi Rename window reload itself immediately - be it by default or by setting chosen by a user?

II] Cannot the Multi Rename window reload itself when switching from Settings to Profiles and the other way around - be it by default or by setting chosen by a user?

III] Why spit out an error when the cause for it is obvious - and not just grey out [thus block] list of available Profiles, just like almost the whole Settings tab is made unavailable after pressing in it the Rename button?

IV] Cannot there be a Reload button present also in the Profiles tab?

V] Why not add the Undo option in a form of a button - thus [as I recon] eliminate a need for manual execution of Reload [which serves as a fail-safe]?

All in all I think that in regards to [auto]reloading such stipulated Undo button could replace the need for an obligatory Reload button clicking
Last edited by Forez on 15.06.2022, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Karol

Re: Lack of auto-Reload causes blocking of Multi Rename window - a need for Undo button?

#2 Post by Karol » 08.05.2022, 20:33

I am reminded by a pop-up window with an error
I think, the exact text of the message might help.

Forez

Re: Lack of auto-Reload causes blocking of Multi Rename window - a need for Undo button?

#3 Post by Forez » 15.06.2022, 01:55

Karol wrote: 08.05.2022, 20:33
I am reminded by a pop-up window with an error
I think, the exact text of the message might help.
An error occurred in the application

I am sorry, but what other message did you expect it might have been? The one showed when you try to rename a file which is in use. i.e.

Operation failed

?

And what difference would it make? All in all the issue comes down to the fact of user having to manually Reload the Multi-Rename window - nothing less, nothing more. An error repeatable 100% of the time; definitely not a bug. Just some overlooked user-unfriendliness made during the design of that feature

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 08.05.2023, 23:22

So, can we have auto-reload performed after a Multi-Rename operation?

By default it could be set to OFF thus leave this particular element of FC behaving as it does now