FC folder tree jumps when windows file system active in another process

Bugs and issues.
travelgirl

FC folder tree jumps when windows file system active in another process

#1 Post by travelgirl » 23.04.2022, 18:53

FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public
Windows 10, 10.0.19044.1645 (64-bit)

when the underlying file system is active (disk head read-write activity), freecommander can decide to change the active explorer tree's display location to the file tab's root. as frequently happens, i may be trying to copy / move files with FC, or simply locating a file in a specific directory, and can be interrupted by the change in the explorer tree. this can cause files to be moved/copied/deleted to/from the wrong folder.

freecommander environment - multiple folder tabs locked, two trees (upper, lower) visible. scroll bars visible on both trees.
1 open folder with MANY subfolders
2 scroll to a deeper subfolder (make sure the scrollbar moves), and select that subfolder
3 start a dos batchfile that will make file system requests (copy/move files, for example)
4 back on freecommander, watch as the tree (eventually) returns to the tab's root

i cannot say for certain simple read events cause the problem, but i'm reasonably certain write events and (usually) changes in directory or (perhaps?) opening a new batchfile using CALL or START will cause FC to lose its place. it's as if FC was monitoring file activity (it should, by default), but each time another process's file activity registered (file copied, folder changed using batchfile), the FC tree's current location was lost in favour of the batch's location). if there is no activity happening outside FC, the problem does not happen. i only notice it because i do major automated backups daily that talk to multiple drives on multiple machines locally and over a network.

backup settings available on request. could probably also make a video displaying change, though that might be more "interesting" :)

Marek
Author
Author

Re: FC folder tree jumps when windows file system active in another process

#2 Post by Marek » 25.04.2022, 22:17

Could you please send me your settings, BAT file (I would like to see what kind of operations is used), video?

travelgirl

Re: FC folder tree jumps when windows file system active in another process

#3 Post by travelgirl » 25.04.2022, 23:50

i can't see a way to attach text or zip files, so examples appear here.
one of the sub-files:

Code: Select all

@echo off
   pushd ..
   m:
   cd \tools\explorer\robocopy
   robocopy m:\m "D:\.g.191\Music\-- working" *.* /job:M:\Tools\Explorer\robocopy\defd.rcj  /purge
   popd
   @echo on
---
a small portion of a larger batch:

Code: Select all

@"F:\SkyDrive\code\gammadyne timer.exe" /reset > nul
   @"F:\SkyDrive\code\gammadyne timer.exe" /nologo /q /n
   netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
   ========
   call m:\tools\explorer\robocopy\fixac m
   regedit /s "F:\--c--users--travelgirl--backup\Dialog TypedPaths (Home).reg"
   @rem	if p is connected, make this backup
   @vol   p:   >nul 2>nul
   if errorlevel 1 (
       @echo Five Second Wait Here Means P Not Plugged In
       timeout 5 >nul
       goto Continue1
   )
   @echo  ===================================
   @echo  ..    copy to P
   @echo  ===================================
   robocopy m:\   p:\_M_   *.* /job:m:\tools\explorer\robocopy\defd.rcj /purge
   call m:\tools\explorer\robocopy\dMusicToP.bat
   ========
   :Continue1
   @rem	sync -f
   chkdsk m: /F /X
   :End0
---

as you can see, i'm constantly going into and out of other batchfiles, following named logic blocks, talking with system utilities like sync, chkdsk, regedit, and robocopy, and eventually making the local copy sync with a networked volume on the same ethernet... i don't recall this being a problem with the 2009 FC; i think i've been using 2022 XE for a few months now.

it's not a life/death issue, but it is consistently annoying if i'm doing anything on FC while the batch is running...