How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut ?

Discussion, questions and support.
tempofc

Re: How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut

#31 Post by tempofc » 31.12.2011, 17:55

Even if it's an old topic, I think you might like the following solution to make Free Commander almost the default explorer without having to change anything in the registry.

I'm using the software AutoHotkey and simply make shortcuts to suit my needs. For example, Win + g opens Google Chrome, Win + e opens Excel, Win + # opens a calculator, Win + c opens Free Commander, etc. It can disable or override Windows shortcuts (Win + e would normally open Windows Explorer).

You can also integrate other useful commands such as emptying the trash can (I use Win + Del for this), maximizing the size of a window, pasting texts (when I type Win + s, it pastes the signature I use the most in my emails), replacing texts (when you type "btw" it can automatically become "by the way") or special characters (I use Ctrl + Shift + 1 to make "¡", Ctrl + Shift + 6 to make "¿" and others to use French quotation marks « ») and quite a lot of other things actually.

You can also combine a couple of commands together. This is the code I use to open Free Commander in full screen with Win + c :

Code: Select all

#c::Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe"
Run "C:\Users\something\Documents\maximize.ahk"
Return
Here's what maximize.ahk contains so you won't have to look for it anywhere else (it's in a separated file so you can quickly refer to it as a command in your script):

Code: Select all

; 2011-04-30
; from http://xahlee.org/
; A toggle. maximize current window, or restor size if already maximized.

#NoTrayIcon
WinGetPos, winWidth, winHeight, , , A  ; "A" to get the active window's pos.
if ( winWidth == -8 and winHeight == -8) {
WinRestore, A
} else
{
WinMaximize, A
}

ExitApp
Using this technique, you could create a file for every software you use that requires special attention. For example, you could want to create a file called GoogleChrome.ahk and by refering to it in your script (Run "C:\somewhere\GoogleChrome.ahk"), you could open it in full screen with specific tabs.

Of course, you can choose almost whatever you want as a shortcut. The documentation page will be a must read to better use this nice software :). Once you've set up each of your shortcut (which only takes about 15 minutes), the software can be launched at startup, deactivated when you want or reloaded in real time to update your "script" (just modify the default one that comes with the software: it's easy and works like a charm the first time you try it => just right-click on the software icon in the notification area and click on "Edit This Script" in the menu).

Hope you'll find this interesting and even useful to you :P. Have a nice day!

RickyTrouble

#32 Post by RickyTrouble » 13.11.2012, 16:37

I want to replace Windows Explorer to FreeCommander XE (which is really a good software :)) by default but the tips given here do not work with me.
How do I do that?

thank you :)

RickyTrouble

#33 Post by RickyTrouble » 27.11.2012, 08:10

someone found how to do?

minsik

#34 Post by minsik » 22.05.2015, 14:40

Any new wisdom on replacing Windows Explorer in Windows 8.1 64 bit with FreeCommander XE ??
I tried all combinations inc REGedit 5 type files but when double click the "this pc" desktop icon wont open or else just opens explorer.

thanks.

horst.epp

#35 Post by horst.epp » 23.05.2015, 18:54

minsik wrote:Any new wisdom on replacing Windows Explorer in Windows 8.1 64 bit with FreeCommander XE ??
I tried all combinations inc REGedit 5 type files but when double click the "this pc" desktop icon wont open or else just opens explorer.

thanks.
The following .reg works but doesn't change "This PC" and "Control panel" away from Explorer.
This 2 settings should not be changed for certain reasons !

You have to replace the path to FC for your environment
Be careful to preserve the double slashes in this !!!
======================================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\open\command]
@="c:\\Tools\\FreeCommander\\FreeCommander.exe /C \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command]
@="c:\\Tools\\FreeCommander\\FreeCommander.exe /C \"%1\""
===========================================

The following reg file reassings all back to explorer:
=====================================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
@="none"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="none"
=====================================
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Ivkosky

#36 Post by Ivkosky » 21.07.2015, 11:44

Hi, I am not really a PC expert - could you please let me know how to change the registry entries as per the post above (or maybe in a different way) for Windows 7 64-bit, so that I can use FreeCommander as default when e.g. opening downloaded files through Firefox?

Thanks!

horst.epp

#37 Post by horst.epp » 23.07.2015, 12:17

Ivkosky wrote:Hi, I am not really a PC expert - could you please let me know how to change the registry entries as per the post above (or maybe in a different way) for Windows 7 64-bit, so that I can use FreeCommander as default when e.g. opening downloaded files through Firefox?

Thanks!
Copy the entries above between the === lines into filename.reg and doppel click this file in Explorer or FC
This works for Windows 7 x64 to
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67

Ivkosky

#38 Post by Ivkosky » 23.07.2015, 12:27

horst.epp wrote:Copy the entries above between the === lines into filename.reg and doppel click this file in Explorer or FC
This works for Windows 7 x64 to
Ok, now I see why it didn't work - I didn't change the location of FreeCommander (mine is not under c:\\Tools, but c:\\Program Files...). It works now, thanks.

JWvL_software

Replace Explorer Shell in Win7 to FreeCommander XE by R-Clk

#39 Post by JWvL_software » 14.08.2015, 21:07

:!: :!: :!: This method will not work for Windows 7 :!: :!: :!:

:!: :!: :!: Instead it must be added in the Right-Click Context Menu
for the Control Panels to still work :!: :!: :!:

I have moved this to: http://www.forum.freecommander.com/view ... f=2&t=6817

..R-Click Context Menu
..R-Click Context Menu

horst.epp

Re: Replace Explorer Shell in Win7 to FreeCommander XE by R-

#40 Post by horst.epp » 23.07.2016, 16:17

JWvL_software wrote: :!: :!: :!: This method will not work for Windows 7 :!: :!: :!:

:!: :!: :!: Instead it must be added in the Right-Click Context Menu
for the Control Panels to still work :!: :!: :!:

I have moved this to: http://www.forum.freecommander.com/view ... f=2&t=6817

FCXE1.png
As explained my settings above do not touch the Control Panel at all
and they definitely work on Windows 7 !
If you cant understand just don't use it.

Forez

#41 Post by Forez » 11.10.2016, 19:14

JWvL_software wrote: :!: :!: :!: This method will not work for Windows 7 :!: :!: :!:
[...]
http://www.forum.freecommander.com/view ... f=2&t=6817[/color]
Well, for me this does nothing
horst.epp wrote:As explained my settings above do not touch the Control Panel at all

Well, for me this doesn't work, at least not for uTorrent: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7566&p=24423#p24423

Because all I ended up with was a chaos, when double clicking a torrent in uTorrent for the purpose of opening its folder. Sometimes uTorrents spits error saying "application not found", sometimes folder is opened via Windows Explorer [sometimes with dozens of second of delay], sometimes a drive is opened in FreeCommander. And what's more, Computer from desktop is still opened by Windows Explorer and not FreeCommnader

As for the
wkrekik wrote:This .reg file didn't work for me. I don't no why but I have found another way :

1. In freecommander : Settings-->Shell menu-->Add FC to context menu : tick folders and drives
2. Control panel--> folders options --> file type--> Go to Drives or Files folders, click on advanced, then set Freecommander as default.

So if the straightforward .reg file solution doesn't work for some reason, you can try this alternative one
9 years later in FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 32-bit public beta and Windows 7 x64 those options do not exist

horst.epp

#42 Post by horst.epp » 12.10.2016, 19:25

Forez wrote:
[...]
horst.epp wrote:As explained my settings above do not touch the Control Panel at all

Well, for me this doesn't work, at least not for uTorrent: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7566&p=24423#p24423

Because all I ended up with was a chaos, when double clicking a torrent in uTorrent for the purpose of opening its folder. Sometimes uTorrents spits error saying "application not found", sometimes folder is opened via Windows Explorer [sometimes with dozens of second of delay], sometimes a drive is opened in FreeCommander. And what's more, Computer from desktop is still opened by Windows Explorer and not FreeCommnader

As for the
wkrekik wrote:This .reg file didn't work for me. I don't no why but I have found another way :

1. In freecommander : Settings-->Shell menu-->Add FC to context menu : tick folders and drives
2. Control panel--> folders options --> file type--> Go to Drives or Files folders, click on advanced, then set Freecommander as default.

So if the straightforward .reg file solution doesn't work for some reason, you can try this alternative one
9 years later in FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 32-bit public beta and Windows 7 x64 those options do not exist
uTorrent has nothing to do at all with the Windows Explorer shell registry entries which are discussed in this thread.
It seems you have no glue at all about the topic and you should not try registry changes which you don't understand.

Forez

#43 Post by Forez » 19.10.2016, 20:32

horst.epp wrote:
Forez wrote:
[...]

As for the

uTorrent has nothing to do at all with the Windows Explorer shell registry entries which are discussed in this thread.
It seems you have no glue at all about the topic and you should not try registry changes which you don't understand.
No

Apparently it does to some extent, if sometimes I get a reaction from FreeCommander when clicking in uTorrent

And trying, even when not understanding, have given me throughout the years many changes in registry, that make my Windows more user firendly. And I haven't found other solutions

jazz albert

#44 Post by jazz albert » 07.11.2016, 23:30

As for the

TragusInfantigoRx Drugs
9 years later in FreeCommander XE 2016 Build 716 32-bit public beta and Windows 7 x64 those options do not exist[/quote]
It seems you have no glue at all about the topic and you should not try registry changes which you don't understand.[/quote]No

Apparently it does to some extent, if sometimes I get a reaction from FreeCommander when clicking in uTorrent

And trying, even when not understanding, have given me throughout the years many changes in registry, that make my Windows more user firendly. And I haven't found other solutions[/quote]

Is it done or not yet!
Last edited by jazz albert on 09.11.2016, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Forez

#45 Post by Forez » 08.11.2016, 14:31

jazz albert wrote: [...]
/quote]

Is it done or not yet!
I think you misquoted my post