Deleting some of many files deletes content of the whole folder [RESOLVED]

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Forez

Deleting some of many files deletes content of the whole folder [RESOLVED]

#1 Post by Forez » 24.11.2021, 11:43

I use a software that automatically creates pre-defined backup copies. The copies look for example like

Audio clips 2021-04-12 13-56.zip
Firefox Profile 2021-07-17 20-00.zip
Savegames DOOM 2020-09-22 23-40.zip

All of them I store on one drive dedicated for backups, in few sub-folders of the main folder. For example

Audio
Profiles
Saves

Those sub-folders sometimes have also another level of sub-sub-folders with backups done by hand. Usually they look for example like

2020 12 30
2021 10 17
2021 11 25

This drive is a SSD 2"5 Samsung 870 QVO 4TB and has less than a year. I am its first and only user. And I have set in my Windows 10 for it a Recycle Bin for it in size of well over 300 GB

And here is the problem: sometimes when I select in FreeCommander some of those zip files, press the delete key and confirm their movement to the Recycle Bin- I get an error from FC saying that I am unable to access some sub-folder which I did not even select. And after that all content of sub-folder is gone, as if I had selected all of items

In other words, the executed removal of only some of the ZIP files is blocked because FC for whatever reason wants to access sub-sub-folders that are residing in the same sub-folder as the selected ZIP files. And I am force to cancel the operation, as retrying it does not work and a firstly such sub-sub-folder was not my target at all. And after cancellation FC shows totally empty sub-folder. And on top of that the Recycle Bin does not contain neither any of ZIP files or of sub-sub-folders

I know that this sounds like a fairy tale but it has already happened to me at least 3 times. So it was not some kind of one time fatal error but a manifestation of a peculiar bug. The only pattern I notices was the fact, that the overall number of ZIP files was always in hundreds and their overall weight was counted as dozens of GB

But as I said, my Recycle Bin has plenty of space available. I also clear it regularly and thoroughly [with an usage of a script and sometimes with third party software, just to make sure that items with very long names are not stored in it on the account of operating system not being able to remove them and lying about Recycle Bin being empty]

And like I also said, I do not attempt to remove all of the ZIP files but only some picked by hand - and yet all of them [along with sub-sub-folders] disappear

Does anyone encountered something similarly weird, at least in version 840 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746? Or in Windows 10 but outside FreeCommander, most likely in Windows Explorer [as it probably governs the Recycle Bin]
Last edited by Forez on 18.06.2023, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Deleting some of many files deletes content of the whole folder

#2 Post by Marek » 24.11.2021, 19:04

I would recommend to use the current beta version https://freecommander.com/en/downloads/. The version is very stable.
It would be good to know:
- used selection type (normal or NC) https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Selectitems.html
- used delete method (Use Window, Use Freecommander) https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/S ... neral.html

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 28.04.2022, 20:21

Since upgrading to version 860 32-bit Public over 4 months ago and then to 861 32-bit public over two months ago, this issue has not manifested itself yet

Only time will tell if its gone or just waiting to strike again when doing some manual disk cleanup

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 18.06.2023, 18:26

So it seems that another year has passed and this awful glitch has not occurred again, despite me doing many mass-cleanups, as I do no recall such event

So I think I can call this as being closed case, as whatever it was is now somehow fixed

Forez

Re: Deleting some of many files deletes content of the whole folder [RESOLVED]

#5 Post by Forez » 13.10.2023, 19:06