Multi Rename - Rename Files from Clipboard

Suggestions and feature requests.
sdaughtry

Multi Rename - Rename Files from Clipboard

#1 Post by sdaughtry » 27.04.2021, 03:20

I am requesting a feature found in Directory Opus that is extremely useful (but apparently rare among file managers or file renaming utilities): after selecting files/folders and sending them to the MultiRename window have an option to rename the selected files/folders from the Windows Clipboard.

The new file/folder names are typically copied from a text file to the Clipboard; the Directory Opus version renames the files sequentially from the clipboard. I assume that Directory Opus is searching for a carriage return in the Clipboard to extract each filename to a queue and then loop through the queue to complete the file rename operation

I used to use Magic File Renamer (a great utility but not updated in years) to complete this same file renaming sequence that Directory Opus can do w/a droplist several hundred times a month with files downloaded from the Internet - the filenames are generic and the legit filenames are stored within an accompanying text file. This is a real timesaver and something that would add functionality to FreeCommander that is exceedingly scarce within the File Manager/File Renamer utility categories

Forez

Re: Multi Rename - Rename Files from Clipboard

#2 Post by Forez » 22.05.2021, 16:19

+

stephen147

Re: Multi Rename - Rename Files from Clipboard

#3 Post by stephen147 » 15.11.2021, 15:53

There is a new feature in the multi rename dialog under File>Rename from text file.

The only trouble is I don't know how to get it working.

Edit: Got it working in the end. See: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 620#p37620
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.