Problem Using Converter to Search for Text in PDF Files

Discussion and questions - donor version.
cbthomas

Problem Using Converter to Search for Text in PDF Files

#1 Post by cbthomas » 06.01.2021, 06:18

I recently upgraded to the Donor version of Free Commander; however, I have not been successful in configuring the Converter to be able to search for text within PDF files. I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer in solving this problem. I am providing the following information you may find relevant.

--I tried to configure the Converter on both my laptop and my desktop, without success. The desktop and laptop are both 64-bit machines running Windows 10.
--I used the following instructions to configure the Converter; these instructions are from the FreeCommander FAQs, the "FAQ - Search" section at this link:
https://freecommander.com/en/faq-search ... f-for-text

"For this example (Office files: docx, xlsx), you need do download, unpack and set up the converter tool. To do this:

Download the xdoc2txt tool from this page (it’s in Japanese, scroll down or search for “zip” to find the download link)
Unpack the xdoc2txt.exe file to your drive (e.g.: C:\Programs\xdoc2txt)
Open the FreeCommander and the Search files/folders dialog (Ctrl+F)
Switch dialog to “Converter” tab
Click the button “Add new row” (or the “Insert” key)
Add these items into the Filter field: *.pdf;*.doc;*.docx;*.odt;*.xls;*.xlsx
Add the path to the xdoc2txt tool file, e.g.: C:\Programs\xdoc2txt\xdoc2txt.exe
Add the Parameters: “%ConvertSourceFile%” >%ConvertTargetFile%
If you copy this text into the program via the clipboard, then re-enter the characters ” using the keyboard.
Select the checkbox for the actual Filter"

--Here is a sample error message I get when trying to search using the Converter after following the above instructions for configuring it:

[function: CreateDOSProcessRedirected] Function failure

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

cbthomas

Re: [Solved] Problem Using Converter to Search for Text in PDF Files

#2 Post by cbthomas » 08.01.2021, 03:45

I've figured out the solution to this problem: the xdoc2txt.exe file must be in the same folder as the installation folder for the FreeCommander.exe file, as shown below. Before discovering this solution, I had the xdoc2txt.exe file in a different folder than the FreeCommander.exe file. Everything is working properly now; I can search for text within PDF files.

C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe
C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\xdoc2txt.exe

In case this information might be helpful to others, I arrived at this solution by doing a Google search on "xdoc2txt.exe". One of the results of this Google search was the item "xdoc2txt.exe File Download & Fix For All Windows OS" at this link:

https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/xdoc2txt-exe/

In the discussion on the website at the above link was this comment:

"The above paths are the common paths where this file is located, but does not mean that it must be stored in the above paths. The file should be stored in the actual installation path of the software."

Odamn-Ete

Re: [Solved] Problem Using Converter to Search for Text in PDF Files

#3 Post by Odamn-Ete » 07.03.2021, 12:24

cbthomas wrote: 08.01.2021, 03:45 I've figured out the solution to this problem: the xdoc2txt.exe file must be in the same folder as the installation folder for the FreeCommander.exe file...
Hey cbthomas,

The above is not true. I have installed xdoc2txt.exe in its own directory and it works like a charm.

If you putting the xdoc2txt.exe in the same folder as FC solves any problems you had, that's good. I'm just mentioning that it is not a must.

Best regards,

cbthomas

Re: Problem Using Converter to Search for Text in PDF Files

#4 Post by cbthomas » 08.03.2021, 03:41

Odamn-Ete -- Thanks for the helpful clarification, that although putting FC and xdoc2txt.exe in the same folder solved my problem, doing that may not be necessary for some other users to get FC to work properly. Have a good week. -- cbthomas

Timon

#5 Post by Timon » 09.03.2021, 15:18

If you want to find text in Office xml (docx, xlsx, odt), there is no need to download, unpack and set up the converter tool. In Search files/folders dialog in ' Search in: ' select checkbox ' Search in Office xml (docx, xlsx, odt) ' ( it appears only after you type some text in 'Containing text:' )

cbthomas

#6 Post by cbthomas » 06.09.2021, 23:09

Timon -- Thanks for the suggestion. -- cbthomas

peter_altherr

#7 Post by peter_altherr » 22.06.2022, 17:57

hello all, i am struggling against an error message while trying to use xdoc2txt.exe 2.20 for full text search within freecommander xe 2022 build 872 64-bit donor in a folder containing pdf files. when i start a search it seems the converter is doing its job and rips all plain text from every pdf into a temporary txt-file for each pdf. when i open these temporary files in notepad++ everything seems to be fine. plain text according the content of the source pdf. but no file hits in the search list but the tab search protocol has one entry per converted txt file an it tells "File is corrupted". i have no idea what's wrong. any clue is very welcome :-) thanks peter

Marek
Author
Author

#8 Post by Marek » 22.06.2022, 20:49

The 64-bit version does not need a converter to search for text in the PDF files.

cbthomas

#9 Post by cbthomas » 23.06.2022, 00:32

Peter -- Did you try making sure the FreeCommander.exe file and the xdoc2txt.exe are in the same subdirectory, such as:

C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe
C:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\xdoc2txt.exe

As noted above in my 07.01.2021, 21:45 entry, this solved my problem with getting an error message resulting from my searching for text within PDF files when using the Converter. As my 07.03.2021, 21:41 entry above notes, thanks to the comment by Odamn-Ete I am aware this solution might not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I hope it might work for you, if you haven't yet tried this strategy. Good luck!

peter_altherr

#10 Post by peter_altherr » 23.06.2022, 12:01

Marek wrote: 22.06.2022, 20:49 The 64-bit version does not need a converter to search for text in the PDF files.
thank you marek, yes indeed the most simple fix. i just have unchecked the converter and text search in pdf works perfect :-)

peter_altherr

#11 Post by peter_altherr » 23.06.2022, 12:06

cbthomas wrote: 23.06.2022, 00:32 Peter -- Did you try making sure the FreeCommander.exe file and the xdoc2txt.exe are in the same subdirectory, ...
thank you for that hint, but did not fix it. same behavior as before. but i can live with mareks solution although being able to full text search of all xdoc2txt supported formats would be nice.

horst.epp

#12 Post by horst.epp » 23.06.2022, 17:52

The xdoc2txt is terrible slow even on fast systems
and also doesn't catch a lot of PDF text entries (filled out formular fields for example).
Mareks x64 version is fast but has the same problem with some PDF content.

I use Everything search tool and let it index the content of PDFs.
and use the Windows search indexer for large amount of content.
In both cases I use a script to feed the Everything search results into an FC file container.
This is the fastest way if any PDF iFilter is available in the system.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

cbthomas

#13 Post by cbthomas » 23.06.2022, 19:27

Peter -- I'm glad Marek's solution is one you feel you can live with. I'm sorry what I suggested didn't work for you. Have a good day.

cbthomas

#14 Post by cbthomas » 23.06.2022, 19:44

"#12 Post by horst.epp » 23.06.2022, 10:52

The xdoc2txt is terrible slow even on fast systems...."

horst.epp -- Sounds like a helpful idea to use the Everything search tool; thanks for the suggestion.