How to create hard links in FreeCommander?

Discussion, questions and support.
Free4all

How to create hard links in FreeCommander?

#1 Post by Free4all » 23.10.2020, 19:16

Two related questions:

1. How can one create hard links in FreeCommander?

2. The English language strings file contains "57072=Create hard link if possible - copy operation", so it seems possible, but I'm not seeing that string used anywhere in the UI. Where is it used?

Marek
Author
Author

Re: How to create hard links in FreeCommander?

#2 Post by Marek » 23.10.2020, 22:59

2. The English language strings file contains "57072=Create hard link if possible - copy operation", so it seems possible, but I'm not seeing that string used anywhere in the UI. Where is it used?
- Set copy operation to execute by FreeCommander
- Set "Use Vista method for all drives"
- In copy dialog check the "Settings" tab

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 15.11.2020, 02:32

Thanks Marek.

Is the "Vista method" still a good idea to use with Win7 and Win10?

What does "Vista method" really mean? Should we rename it?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 15.11.2020, 15:40

Yes, you can use the "Vista method" in Windows 7, 8, and 10.

I agree it could be confusing for users, which name you suggest? It works in Vista and higher, so perhaps:
- Vista and higher method
- Vista+ method
- Vista/7/8/10 method
- New method
- New Windows method

For text above the drop down menu perhaps add all versions:
- Vista/7/8/10
- Windows Vista/7/8/10

pontiacbandit

#5 Post by pontiacbandit » 21.11.2020, 00:08

As far as I'm aware FreeCommander itself doesn't support that, but I use the Link Shell Extension for that. It integrates neatly into the right click menu and drag & drop functionality of the Windows explorer and thus can be used just the same via FreeCommander.

The only bummer is that FreeCommander doesn't display some icons properly. For instance, my Windows Explorer uses an altered icon for junctions but in FreeCommander they look just like ordinary folders.

Free4all

#6 Post by Free4all » 26.12.2020, 16:35

pontiacbandit wrote: 21.11.2020, 00:08
As far as I'm aware FreeCommander itself doesn't support that, but I use the Link Shell Extension for that. It integrates neatly into the right click menu and drag & drop functionality of the Windows explorer and thus can be used just the same via FreeCommander.

The only bummer is that FreeCommander doesn't display some icons properly. For instance, my Windows Explorer uses an altered icon for junctions but in FreeCommander they look just like ordinary folders.
Thank you for the recommendation. Hopefully FreeCommander will be able to do this by itself in the future. Feel free to file a bug report regarding the broken items both here and on Link Shell Extension's site. I'm not sure at this time where the issue reported lies.

Free4all

#7 Post by Free4all » 26.12.2020, 16:36

Dreamer wrote: 15.11.2020, 15:40 Yes, you can use the "Vista method" in Windows 7, 8, and 10.

I agree it could be confusing for users, which name you suggest? It works in Vista and higher, so perhaps:
- Vista and higher method
- Vista+ method
- Vista/7/8/10 method
- New method
- New Windows method

For text above the drop down menu perhaps add all versions:
- Vista/7/8/10
- Windows Vista/7/8/10
Thanks Dreamer. In my absence, I see the strings file was updated, so that is good.

What does this method really do, as compared to the "non-Vista+" method?

gggirlgeek

#8 Post by gggirlgeek » 26.01.2022, 18:29

Free4all wrote: 26.12.2020, 16:35
pontiacbandit wrote: 21.11.2020, 00:08

Thank you for the recommendation. Hopefully FreeCommander will be able to do this by itself in the future. Feel free to file a bug report regarding the broken items both here and on Link Shell Extension's site. I'm not sure at this time where the issue reported lies.
Anybody figure something out yet to get the overlay icons for reparse points to show? It's important for me because it has caused a lot of trouble when I didn't realize a duplicate folder was a symlink. Makes things hairy when trying to clean up many drives.

Is there a colored folder or font option possibly? Do I need to uninstall Link Shell Extension?
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable-mode, donor)