826 - "The system call level is not correct" Error

Bugs and issues - current donor version.
Free4all

826 - "The system call level is not correct" Error

#1 Post by Free4all » 10.08.2020, 05:41

FC 826 64-bit Donor portable - W7

File operations are set to use Windows.

When moving a file from one folder to another, receive the error:
"The system call level is not correct"

See attached image for error.

After some testing, I determined this to be a result of the destination pathname being too long.

In addition to fixing the error, it would be great if FC had functionality to show the pathname length of every filesystem object. That way, you could enable flat/plain view, and sort by pathname length to see when things are getting close to MAX_PATH.

When a resultant pathname will be too long, perhaps FC can warn, but give the option to temporarily use internal routines to copy/move/rename as a 1-off remedy.
Attachments
fcerr.png
fcerr.png (18.73 KiB) Viewed 11669 times

Karol

Re: 826 - "The system call level is not correct" Error

#2 Post by Karol » 10.08.2020, 07:29

- Switch to details view
- Shift+F1
- Add/Remove columns
- Add new column "Length of the path"

For me - no problem with long paths if using file operation option "Use FreeCommander".

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 10.08.2020, 15:17

Thank you for the tip regarding the "Length of the path" column. That's very useful.

Interestingly, according to that column, I have a bunch of files with pathnames over 256 characters, which I think I renamed or moved using FC. Not sure why FC didn't generate an error then. Any thoughts? :?:

Years ago, I set FC to use Windows file operations. I don't remember all the reasons, but I think the logic was that Windows is very reliable for copying files (and folders), so why mess with a good thing? Reliably moving/copying/renaming files and folders without error is the #1 function of any file manager, and I didn't want to risk something going wrong by using non-Windows file operations.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 23.06.2022, 23:06

Free4all wrote: 10.08.2020, 05:41 [...]
[...]
And what did you do to get rid of this error?

Long story short, after executing some complicated and messed up BAT script a folder was created on my C drive that could not be moved, deleted or even renamed or hid with an attribute; because of that "system call level is not correct", sometime refereed in other programs as "incorrect path" or just simply ignored. I could only copy it within a parent folder - thus create another unmovable folder. And for me every neat trick / software failed but one; as only in 7-zip 19.0 x64 was I able to first rename it and then delete it. [And this wasn't the first time that 7-zip managed to do what others programs could not]

My setup is Build 861 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64

Free4all

#5 Post by Free4all » 05.08.2022, 16:22

Forez wrote: 23.06.2022, 23:06
Free4all wrote: 10.08.2020, 05:41 [...]
[...]
And what did you do to get rid of this error?

Long story short, after executing some complicated and messed up BAT script a folder was created on my C drive that could not be moved, deleted or even renamed or hid with an attribute; because of that "system call level is not correct", sometime refereed in other programs as "incorrect path" or just simply ignored. I could only copy it within a parent folder - thus create another unmovable folder. And for me every neat trick / software failed but one; as only in 7-zip 19.0 x64 was I able to first rename it and then delete it. [And this wasn't the first time that 7-zip managed to do what others programs could not]

My setup is Build 861 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64
I haven't tested it in a while, but as far as I know, FCXE still has this issue.

What I did to work around the issue was to find all files/folders with long pathnames and manually reduce the length of the pathname. I found an effective way to do this was often to reduce the length of the names of folders, as the folder name is used as part of the pathname for each file. Thus, changing a single folder name will reduce the pathname length for all items within it (and everything nested within it).

Of course, this wasn't ideal, as often I really needed data mentioned in the long folder names. I wound up creating a bunch of "readme" plain text files to store the details that were lost when shortening each folder name. Another alternative would be to use alternate streams, but I'm not a big proponent of alternate streams.

As far as which program/technique I used to perform those rename operations... I don't quite remember (I'm sorry). I think I might have booted into a command prompt and used the ren and move CLI commands to get the job done.

I hope this helps you.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 05.08.2022, 18:40

Thank you for the info
Free4all wrote: 05.08.2022, 16:22 [...]
What I did to work around the issue was to find all files/folders with long pathnames and manually reduce the length of the pathname.
[...]
Next time try using this simple Registry hack

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

It supposedly unblock the 260 characters limit for paths. But for me it worked only to some extent: I still cannot exceeds that overall limit- but [long story short] it does allow me for creation of longer extensions-less files through a BAT script that I use. And apparently this inability is a well known problem; e.g. https://community.mp3tag.de/t/maximum-p ... h/42047/14

There is also an alternative method of removing that limit through the Local Group Policy Editor: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/ that I have not tried

Free4all

#7 Post by Free4all » 06.08.2022, 12:48

Forez wrote: 05.08.2022, 18:40 Thank you for the info
Free4all wrote: 05.08.2022, 16:22 [...]
What I did to work around the issue was to find all files/folders with long pathnames and manually reduce the length of the pathname.
[...]
Next time try using this simple Registry hack

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

It supposedly unblock the 260 characters limit for paths. But for me it worked only to some extent: I still cannot exceeds that overall limit- but [long story short] it does allow me for creation of longer extensions-less files through a BAT script that I use. And apparently this inability is a well known problem; e.g. https://community.mp3tag.de/t/maximum-p ... h/42047/14

There is also an alternative method of removing that limit through the Local Group Policy Editor: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/ that I have not tried
Thanks for the tips. The challenge with the 260 char limit is ensuring that every tool you use is compatible with exceeding it. And then, of course, making sure that when you create backups that no problems develop with your recovery tools. For these reasons, I tend to stick within the 260 char limit except for very specific situations where I know everything will work correctly. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. Similar to not being able to use colons (:) or slashes within filenames. I've been using technology for decades, so I understand the history of why such limits and restrictions exist, but I frequently wonder how much time people who are new to technology spend trying to perform seemingly simple tasks like using a colon within a filename (and scratching their heads wondering why such a simple task just won't work in Windows).

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 06.08.2022, 17:19

Thanks for your tips