feature request: Easily switch to Dark Mode

Suggestions and feature requests.
mgroen

feature request: Easily switch to Dark Mode

#1 Post by mgroen » 17.02.2020, 22:07

Feature request; I would like to set FC to work in Dark Mode (same looks as in Windows 10 Dark Mode),
currently using Color schemes but none of them really really match (I'm sorry to say),

also I would prefer for 1 easy setting: Dark Mode on/ off (off meaning switch to default "white mode"). This setting would be placed somewhere in Settings - VIew. Also during FC installation would be asked if the user would like to have Dark mode on or off.

Thanks,

Edit: Even better would be if FC could detect if Windows is running in Dark Mode / Light mode. Depending on Windows setting (Dark/Light / other), FC would adapt its color settings to that.
Same behaviour as Chrome and Firefox currently have: if Windows dark mode is set to on, Firefox/Chrome automatically change their skin on next start. If Dark Mode is disabled in Windows (setttings), then FF/Chrome follow this new setting and change their skins (according to Windows settings). would be great if FC would have this! :)

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: feature request: Easily switch to Dark Mode

#2 Post by Dreamer » 18.02.2020, 21:15

To change the color schemes you can create the color scheme toolbar button, or/and use a keyboard shortcut, to show the color schemes menu, it's still 2-click solution, just a workaround.

Regarding detection of dark/light mode, I'm not sure if it's possible, but most color schemes has words "dark" or "light" in the name, so perhaps it could be used.

Regarding auto-detection, perhaps default light and default dark color schemes could be used, alternatively another menu option/shortcut/toolbar button to toggle last 2 color schemes could be added.

mgroen

#3 Post by mgroen » 19.02.2020, 11:55

+1 for me, regarding auto detection.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 19.02.2020, 22:52

mgroen wrote: 17.02.2020, 22:07 [...]
FC could detect if Windows is running in Dark Mode / Light mode. Depending on Windows setting (Dark/Light / other), FC would adapt its color settings to that.
Interesting idea
mgroen wrote: 17.02.2020, 22:07 Same behaviour as Chrome and Firefox currently have: if Windows dark mode is set to on, Firefox/Chrome automatically change their skin on next start. If Dark Mode is disabled in Windows (setttings), then FF/Chrome follow this new setting and change their skins (according to Windows settings). would be great if FC would have this! :)
But why would you want to switch back to some light / bright themes in any piece of software?

I have only such one adaptive feature implemented - in the usage of the freeware f.lux: as I use computer in the evenings and at nights but get up late I had it set to automatically kill the blue light when the sundown happens and to bring it back but long after the sunrise

As for FC, I use my own dark Color Schema all day and all night long. I suspect that you just do not have the right themes and hardware. I myself had a nice matted 16:9 monitor, but after upgrading to 21:9 I had to deal with a more glossy surface- so it took me some time but I finally found optimal level of blackness in my backgrounds across my systems, including the one I use the most [the FC]. Also, in the same line of thought: you could think about adjusting your workplace- I have seen some pretty stupid set ups of PC monitors on the Internet
Last edited by Forez on 27.02.2020, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

mgroen

#5 Post by mgroen » 20.02.2020, 11:27

Dreamer wrote: 18.02.2020, 21:15 To change the color schemes you can create the color scheme toolbar button, or/and use a keyboard shortcut, to show the color schemes menu, it's still 2-click solution, just a workaround.

Regarding detection of dark/light mode, I'm not sure if it's possible, but most color schemes has words "dark" or "light" in the name, so perhaps it could be used.

Regarding auto-detection, perhaps default light and default dark color schemes could be used, alternatively another menu option/shortcut/toolbar button to toggle last 2 color schemes could be added.
Auto-detection would be +1 for me (if possible +2) :)
Toggle button as you suggest, between dark/white (or last 2 color schemes), would be beneficial and +1 for me as well.

pOpY

#6 Post by pOpY » 24.09.2022, 16:30

+5 for auto detection and selecting the same theme with "_light" or "_dark" in the filename.