Color Configuration

Discussion, questions and support.
GiantWaffle

Color Configuration

#1 Post by GiantWaffle » 22.07.2009, 23:11

I don't see any way to change the colors in the background. I don't see any way to do that and it says the help file is missing, so I can't look there. :)

All I see is like an individual folder line and stuff like that. There is a background color for "Flat View", whatever that is, but when I turned that on, it shows like every file in my computer or something and as soon as I click on a folder in the tree, it goes back to the way it was, thank God. :)

So is there a way to do this? To change the background colors?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 23.07.2009, 01:10

Yes, it is possible. Check this quide from granny:

http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=2053

GiantWaffle

#3 Post by GiantWaffle » 23.07.2009, 01:13

Dreamer wrote:Yes, it is possible. Check this quide from granny:

I'll check it out, thanks! :)

GiantWaffle

#4 Post by GiantWaffle » 23.07.2009, 04:39

Dreamer wrote:Yes, it is possible. Check this quide from granny:

Thanks for providing the document. I did go through it, but saw nothing that would handle what I was looking for. I just wanted to make the active panel a different color, but I saw no setting for that and it wasn't mentioned in the document. The strange part is, she has two examples at the end of it, that show a setup with a different color for the active panel.

Thanks again though.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » 23.07.2009, 14:14

GiantWaffle

#6 Post by GiantWaffle » 23.07.2009, 14:52

Actually, that makes both panels that color, not just the active one.

I am trying to make the active panel and the inactive panel two different colors, so that I know at a glance which one is active.

ralfso

#7 Post by ralfso » 23.07.2009, 17:33

Like granny wrote on Page 7 of his guide you can define different colours for left and right panel but not for active/inactive.

Notes ---
Tree and File List can have completely different settings. You can even manually edit the INI file to have different settings in left and right panes!

freecommander.ini:
[Form]
Color-dirViewLeft=8454143
Color-dirViewRight=12910532
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

GiantWaffle

#8 Post by GiantWaffle » 23.07.2009, 18:59

ralfso wrote:Like granny wrote on Page 7 of his guide you can define different colours for left and right panel but not for active/inactive.

Notes ---
Tree and File List can have completely different settings. You can even manually edit the INI file to have different settings in left and right panes!

freecommander.ini:
[Form]
Color-dirViewLeft=8454143
Color-dirViewRight=12910532
I understand and thank you. But the only thing I care about, is making the active pane a different color than the inactive pane. Too many times, I think I'm in one pane and I end up changing the wrong one. It happens to me every day and it's annoying.

But thank you for a great program. Unfortunately, I have to stop using it, since it doesn't have this ability and since it keeps putting all of my file names into lower case when I go to compress files. It takes up way too much of my time to have to keep going through each file name in each box that pops up and does triple the amount of time it takes me to do things and since I deal with sometimes hundreds of zip files per day, that's a lot of extra time! :) Plus, my key combos selections won't stick.

The best that anybody came up with, was that it's because I'm running it in a 64 bit OS. But every time I ask programmers about 64 bit versions, they tell me it doesn't matter. Oh well. :)

I think I'm just going back to Windows Explorer. It did the job and it didn't give me any trouble. Dual panes are nice, but every file manager I have tried over the last two weeks, spending most of each and every day dealing with them, has had some major, glaring issue (different for each, but obvious and glaring) and so, it's just not worth it, because nobody wants to change it, or they can't. It's always one or th other. So what's the point? Should I go back to a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine w/4GB of RAM, just to make a file manager happy? Don't think so. :)

Anyway, thanks again, but I'm done.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss » 23.07.2009, 20:18

Can't you just make the background folder path of the active panel a different color?

GiantWaffle

#10 Post by GiantWaffle » 23.07.2009, 23:03

joby_toss wrote:Can't you just make the background folder path of the active panel a different color?
No. Any color you set is going to be that color in that pane all the time and when you switch to the other pane, it is whatever color it is. The colors are set, even if you make the two panes two different colors.

To have the active pane be a certain color, means that the color goes to whatever pane you do and is different than the color in the pane you're not in.

This is common function. About half the file managers do it and half don't, when you turn that option on and set the active and inactive background colors.

If you mean to do it manually each time I switch panes, huh??? Not! :)

Plus there's the issue of it putting all of the Zip file names "name.zip" in lower case when I go to zip files up and having to manually edit the file names to put the caps back in, even though it's using the folder name, which has caps where needed.

Thanks for trying, though. I appreciate it. :)

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss » 23.07.2009, 23:57

Mine looks like this (color switch is automatic):

As for the zip related issue...I guess it really is annoying for you.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 24.07.2009, 00:24

GiantWaffle wrote:Actually, that makes both panels that color, not just the active one.

I am trying to make the active panel and the inactive panel two different colors, so that I know at a glance which one is active.
OK, got it now... It has been requested already, please add your support here:

http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=308

GiantWaffle

#13 Post by GiantWaffle » 24.07.2009, 00:43

joby_toss wrote:Mine looks like this (color switch is automatic):

As for the zip related issue...I guess it really is annoying for you.
First of all, thank you for going through the trouble of making that screen hot for me. I appreciate your kindness. :)

However (you knew that was coming), I really don't pay that litle bar much mind. I'm working on so many things at once and I need to be able to just look quick and not have to "look for", you know what I mean?

Like, "HERE I AM, STUPID!". :)

That little bar is handy for most people, but it just doesn't even get noticed by me in most cases. :) I'm flipping back and forth too much and need quick glimpses and quick attacks on each app. :)

Thanks again though. If Free Commander ever does this and comes out with a 64 bit version, which is the only thing I can think of causing th "lower case" problem as someone (maybe you( said it probably was, then I will certainly abandon Windows Explorer again and install and use it! I'd even make a donation! :)

But in the mean time, it isn't a 64 bit util (I forget why the author (is that you?) said it couldn't be done. Maybe he programs it Delphi or something?

Whatever the case, there are many things that I will miss about Free Commander. IMO, with the two exceptions noted, it was the best file manager out there, hands down!

Funny enough, I did find that there are two things that I really miss by having a 32 bit OS and that is a good firewall with app based filtering and having a plethora of choice in file managers. :) But I can't change my OS and lose performance, especially with 4GB of RAM and a 64 bit CPU. :)

Thanks again. You've been extraordinarily patient and because of that (and of course how good FC is), I guess I will leave my profile active, in case the author ever does make a 64 bit version and I'll keep watching for it. :) I'd really like to have it! :)