some file format #3
I propose expanding this to
Folder
File
Shortcut
some file format #1
some file format #2
some file format #3
i.e. adding to it a universal File entry, which when chosen would pop-up a window with empty fields for the name and extension of file

This would allow to create files in a given location of any format without a need of:
● copying and then renaming of existing file in a desired format
● choosing to create e.g. TXT file and the renaming its extension
● creating an extension-less file and the adding to it a desired extension
● choosing within some program to create a new file

In other words I am advocating for on the spot and in any location quick and simple ability to make any new files

Karol

Re: New file creation mini-tool

#2 Post by Karol » 11.12.2023, 15:41

Creating file with any extension: Shift+Ctrl+N

Forez

Re: New file creation mini-tool

#3 Post by Forez » 16.12.2023, 18:29

#1] This evokes window entitled FreeComannder with description
Create new text file
It should be named Create new file

and its description should inform users, that not writing a dot will some content following it will result in creation of TXT file

#2] Aside from this: I would like for this option to implemented in the shell menu of FC

#3] As it comes out: this feature is already implemented in the shell menu. Or to be precise: some other version of it - because when used its window is also entitled FreeCommander but the text in it says
New file: Text Document @X
where X is the name of folder in which user has executed the initial right click needed to navigate to this option. So its no wonder that it is only now that I thought about trying to overwrite extension, despite being told as always by the description that it will be Text Document that will be created

To sum up: what I had proposed in this topic is already present - but it lacks proper description and name, despite having been added to FC twice with some differences. Thus they should be reworked and merged into one and the same - or the opposite: be kept as two features [but still with more informative descriptions]