Can you use File Compare to compare 2 Word documents?

Discussion and questions - donor version.
ccamardella

Can you use File Compare to compare 2 Word documents?

#1 Post by ccamardella » 04.08.2023, 18:08

I couldn't find instructions specific enough that I could understand. I know it's me, but, I tried to point to the Word EXE as the program in Settings > Programs> Compare Files, but it is not working. I used parameters "File 1" and "File 2" from the dropdown, then highlighted two word files in the directory. When I click on File > Compare files, I continue to get the same error of "Please define external program: Settings->Programs->Compare files"
Has anyone ever been successful with this? Thanks!

Karol

Re: Can you use File Compare to compare 2 Word documents?

#2 Post by Karol » 08.08.2023, 10:28

After activating the menu item "File → Compare files..." or the shortcut "Ctrl+Alt+V" the content of two selected text files is compared
As the help say - with this function you can compare only the text files. DOCX are not the text files.
You can try to convert docx to txt and then compare.

Timon

#3 Post by Timon » 15.08.2023, 10:27

Use WinMerge to compare word, excel and many other types of files without any convertion

Filter (you can select any file extensions, that you want to compare, I use the following): *.rtf;*.docx;*.docm;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.pptx;*.pptm;*.doc;*.xls;*.ppt;*.sxw;*.sxc;*.sxi;*.sxd;*.odt;*.ods;*.odp;*.odg;*.wj2;*.wj3;*.wk3;*.wk4;*.123;*.wri;*.pdf;*.mht;*.eml;*.dll;*.exe;*.dat
Program: C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
Parameters: %FileCompare1% %FileCompare2%

Just now compared 2 doc files and it works fine (of course, just text is displayed, without design, as it is in the Word file)

To compare all other file types I use PSPad

ccamardella

#4 Post by ccamardella » 20.11.2023, 18:36

Hi Timon:
I just now see that there was a reply to my thread.
Thank you! It works!
Timon wrote: 15.08.2023, 10:27 Use WinMerge to compare word, excel and many other types of files without any convertion

Filter (you can select any file extensions, that you want to compare, I use the following): *.rtf;*.docx;*.docm;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.pptx;*.pptm;*.doc;*.xls;*.ppt;*.sxw;*.sxc;*.sxi;*.sxd;*.odt;*.ods;*.odp;*.odg;*.wj2;*.wj3;*.wk3;*.wk4;*.123;*.wri;*.pdf;*.mht;*.eml;*.dll;*.exe;*.dat
Program: C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
Parameters: %FileCompare1% %FileCompare2%

Just now compared 2 doc files and it works fine (of course, just text is displayed, without design, as it is in the Word file)

To compare all other file types I use PSPad