Multi Rename window blocks itself at accepting another past-in for its Search and Replace

Bugs and issues.
Forez

Multi Rename window blocks itself at accepting another past-in for its Search and Replace

#1 Post by Forez » 19.08.2021, 15:59

Multi Rename window has in its Settings tab the Search And Replace section [near the bnear the bottom of this tab]. And in it there are Search For and the Replace With boxes. And they used to work A-OK

But unfortunately now when I paste in some data from the clipboard with keyboard shortcut [e.g. CTRL+C + CTRL+V] I cannot repeat that with some other data. If I decide I want to work once again on the same set of selected files, switch to a Panel of FC or some third party software and come back to Multi Rename window from that place with a new data in clipboard, FreeCommandeer will ignore my keyboard shortcut. And then all I can do is:

A] right click in a box and choose Paste from the context menu - thus be annoyed by extra clicking

B] close the Multi Rename tool and open it again - thus loose my selection and time

C] switch back and forth between different windows and constantly check after going back to Multi Rename to see if it unblocked itself - thus waste a lot of time and be extra annoyed

I am using FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 840 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746
Last edited by Forez on 25.05.2023, 22:42, edited 9 times in total.

Forez

Re: Multi Rename window blocks itself at accepting another past-in for its Search and Replace

#3 Post by Forez » 05.12.2022, 18:20

I think this is a confirmation of this bug; viewtopic.php?p=39903

Forez

Re: Multi Rename window blocks itself at accepting another past-in for its Search and Replace

#4 Post by Forez » 30.03.2023, 20:46

This blockade is still happening to me in build 885 64-bit Donor Portable

And what is more it concerns not only using keyboard shortcuts but also hotkeys from HotkeyP- e.g. I click my combination of Forward Mouse Button + Left Mouse Button in order to evoke assigned to it CTRL+V but it is ignored and I have to revert to using a Right Mouse Button menu, from which I can select entry "Paste"

Thus this is not a fault of my keyboards as also this third party macro software is sometimes unable to push through signals to that particular FreeCommander feature
Last edited by Forez on 25.05.2023, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 03.04.2023, 18:21

I still can't reproduce it, perhaps provide simple steps to reproduce, with default settings.

I'm using HotkeyP and the mouse shortcut side button+left button to paste works good in FC Multi rename window.

Take a look at this topic: HotkeyP mouse shortcuts tips

I'm not sure, if all the suggested settings are necessary, but I know the mouse shortcuts caused some problems with default settings, some keys or buttons could stuck, they remain pressed, workaround is to press those keys/buttons twice, log out Windows, or restart HotkeyP, but with the suggested settings from the link above it works good for years.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 06.04.2023, 18:55

Dreamer wrote: 03.04.2023, 18:21 [...]
provide simple steps to reproduce, with default settings.
With FC running with defaults settings? This would no make sense, as I do not run it on its default settings. And as I still do not see a pattern, as it happens only sometimes. And recently after going from using x86 installed to x64 portable it seems, the occurrence if this issue has dropped in frequency
mouse shortcuts caused some problems with default settings, some keys or buttons could stuck, they remain pressed
[...]
[As I have already said it in a different topic:]

For over a month now I have been testing out some AHK scripts in hope of counter-acting blockades of buttons and keys input occurring due to me clicking while using HotkeyP and X-Mouse Button Control. These scripts used various approaches to making sure that physically released button was reconfirmed in Windows as being in its UP state. [So far it seems that I was able to stop HotkeyP from blocking input, but I am not entirely sure yet on what account]
Last edited by Forez on 07.01.2024, 11:49, edited 3 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 06.04.2023, 20:36

Testing with default settings helps to find the reason, you don't have to reset settings, here is the topic with info how to do it:

How to report a bug (Read before posting!) - FreeCommander Forum

I think this is NOT a FC bug, but some issue with HotkeyP or/and AutoHotkey.

Again, try to change the settings in HotkeyP as in the topic from the link above.

If it happens again, you can try to paste to other FC dialog and to other program, e.g. Notepad, to make sure it's not a FC bug.

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 07.04.2023, 00:05

Dreamer wrote: 06.04.2023, 20:36 Testing with default settings helps to find the reason, you don't have to reset settings
[...]
But settings reset to default by themselves: I get white Color Scheme and none of my icons

I cannot use default settings for dozens of days to be sure that this glitch occurs on the account of what is inside my INI files. And even I wee to indule in such wild goose chase- it will still not pin point the exact root of this problem

Dreamer wrote: 06.04.2023, 20:36 I think this is NOT a FC bug, but some issue with HotkeyP or/and AutoHotkey.
I have reported this issue on 2021 08 19; which must have been at least weeks after I must had noticed it. AutoHotkey I have started using in 2022 05. HotkeyP on 2022 08 18, then took some break from it and returned to running with it in 2022 12. X-Mouse Button Control starts on my system in 2023 01 or 2023 02 - but for a month now I do not run it at all, trying co overcome some issues within HotkeyP

So, in concurrence with your theory, the only possibility here is that FreeCommander on its own was the culprit but then it was those other programs that have took over evoking of this glitch and surprisingly only in FC. Although such scenario is possible, it is extremely unlikely

Dreamer wrote: 06.04.2023, 20:36 [...]
If it happens again, you can try to paste to other FC dialog and to other program, e.g. Notepad, to make sure it's not a FC bug.
Such blockades have not been happening in other programs; while changing to some other program and then going back to Multi Rename window often unblocks it
Last edited by Forez on 25.05.2023, 22:47, edited 4 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 07.04.2023, 12:44

Forez wrote: 07.04.2023, 00:05But settings reset to default by themselves: I get white Color Scheme and none of my icons
So you didn't reset the settings and they changed to default themselves, when, after which operations? This is a new issue, so you should report it in a separate topic.
Forez wrote: 07.04.2023, 00:05I have reported this issue on 2021 08 19; which must have been at least weeks after I must had noticed it. AutoHotkey I have started using in 2022 05. HotkeyP on 2022 08 18, then took some break from it and returned to running with it in 2022 12. X-Mouse Button Control starts on my system in 2023 01 or 2023 02 - but for a month now I do not run it at all, trying co overcome come issues within HotkeyP
Are you sure you did not use any software for keyboard/mouse shortcuts when you have that bug in FC?
Forez wrote: 07.04.2023, 00:05Such blockades have not been happening in other programs; while changing to some other program and then going back to Multi Rename window often unblocks it
This behavior means, it's probably not a FC bug, because nothing changed in FC.

Again, please try to use the settings from the link above in HotkeyP, perhaps don't use AutoHotkey for some time, if possible. As I said, I had the same or very similar issue with the HotkeyP from time to time and changing the settings helped.

Forez

#10 Post by Forez » 08.04.2023, 17:04

Dreamer wrote: 07.04.2023, 12:44
Forez wrote: 07.04.2023, 00:05But settings reset to default by themselves: I get white Color Scheme and none of my icons
So you didn't reset the settings and they changed to default themselves, when, after which operations? This is a new issue, so you should report it in a separate topic.
I just did: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13392

Dreamer wrote: 07.04.2023, 12:44 [...]
try to use the settings from the link above in HotkeyP, perhaps don't use AutoHotkey for some time, if possible
[...]
As I said, I already had. And had started using them long after this issue was reported here by me

But I will continue tests of not running other programs, which will take weeks

Forez

#11 Post by Forez » 06.01.2024, 09:54

Although HotkeyP is capable of rarely hanging up most of the input on my system but that is not it- because when HotkeyP does glitch itself, it is [as I just mentioned] almost total: most of the time when this happens I am forced to evoke Task Manager and navigate with keyboard to HotkeyP entry and killing it, while sometimes being able to do it with mouse buttons pressed repeatedly on the Tray icon of it

Thus it is a FreeCommander glitch - and is stil happening in version 900 x64

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 06.01.2024, 12:19

Are you sure it's a FC bug? Could you reproduce it with default settings in FC? Try to provide simple steps to reproduce, perhaps with some examples, with just few files, e.g.:

- select 2 txt files
- press F2
- type "ABC"

Are you using my recommended setting for HotkeyP? I think this could really help. Just the settings and two Macro commands for Mouse 4 and Mouse 5 - move to end of the list.
Dreamer wrote: 03.04.2023, 18:21Take a look at this topic: HotkeyP mouse shortcuts tips

I'm not sure, if all the suggested settings are necessary, but I know the mouse shortcuts caused some problems with default settings, some keys or buttons could stuck, they remain pressed, workaround is to press those keys/buttons twice, log out Windows, or restart HotkeyP, but with the suggested settings from the link above it works good for years.
Please report any issues with HotkeyP in the official forum, here is the link:

https://sourceforge.net/p/hotkeyp/discussion/general/

EDIT: Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the FreeCommander and HotkeyP?

Forez

#13 Post by Forez » 07.01.2024, 12:13

As I already said
Forez wrote: 06.04.2023, 18:55
provide simple steps to reproduce, with default settings.
With FC running with defaults settings? This would no make sense, as I do not run it on its default settings. And as I still do not see a pattern, as it happens only sometimes. And recently after going from using x86 installed to x64 portable it seems, the occurrence if this issue has dropped in frequency
[...]
In other words: I am unable to induce it as I wish - but using now both FreeCommander and HotkeyP in their 64-bit versions has somewhat helped

Running FC with default settings would be almost as much of a burden like changing my Windows 10 to Windows 7 and then running on it on a daily basis

And all I have are those four hotkeys:
● Mouse 5&L ● global paste
● Mouse 4&L ● global copy
● Mouse 5&R ● global cut
● Mouse 4&R ● global undo

I think I will experiment with amount of time set for delaying of mouse buttons and hooks reloading

But all in all: this is not about HotkeyP - as this has been happening before I started using it. Plus there is also this long time lasting bug where I select some items from a folder but end up with all items from it in being loaded up to Multi Rename window [which I surely must have reported a long time ago but I am unable to find it right now]