Forgetting about doubled Hotkey problem

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Forgetting about doubled Hotkey problem

#1 Post by Forez » 25.03.2023, 13:36

Imagine such scenario [which have just happened to me]:

A user puts a shortcut on Favorite Toolbar X > User applies to it Hotkey CTRL+0, because almost never uses it > Other often used shortcuts user combines with CTRL+1, CTRL+2, CTRL+3 > All hotkeyed shortcuts user keep in that Favorite Toolbar X so that i would be easier o keep rack of them > User decides to stop using Favorite Toolbar X all-together - but just in case decides to keep it > User turns off Favorite Toolbar X > User recreates that shortcut, including hotkey association of it with CTRL+0, on Favorite Toolbar Y > A lot of time passes, the CTRL+0 is never executed as this rarely used shortcut is visibly available on Favorite Toolbar X as an icon > Use rearranges and updates Favorite Toolbars > Before adding to Favorite Toolbar Z a completely new shortcut with hotkey CTRL+0 applied to it user remembers to remove CTRL+0 from Favorite Toolbar X

And here is the problem: if user forgets that a given re-used hotkey has been also repeated somewhere else, such user finds now FreeCommander working in a Matrix style, where despite changes old association somewhow still works

So when double checking for errors the inspection performed of Favorite Toolbar X reveals that original shortcut is not having CTRL+0 attached to it no more. And it is only searching through INI files will user be able to find the leftover [that forgotten originally doubled association]

And so: if a hotkey for shortcuts is already being used somewhere, the least FC could do is to inform about it when picked for a second time. And in a perfect world FC would allow to pick it up only for the same shortcut [i.e. for an entry with the same path]. And also FC would run a check of INI file at every start, to see if a user did no change associations of CTRL+n hotkeys outside of FC [thus omitting its fail-safe feature] - and FC would inform user with a pop-up message of such conflict, listing precisely what and where creates it

Forez

Re: Forgetting about doubled Hotkey problem

#2 Post by Forez » 05.04.2023, 13:16

In short what I am saying is this:

FreeCommander should keep track of all CTRL+1 / CTRL+2 / ... / CTRL+0 hotkeys if they are assigned to shortcuts; and f no block then at least warn user when placing on another Favorite Toolbar of icon shortcut with shortcut assigned to it which is already used elsewhere [informing user where that hotkey is being used]