FC not refreshing. FC problem? or Win10 problem?

Bugs and issues.
fc_fzx

FC not refreshing. FC problem? or Win10 problem?

#1 Post by fc_fzx » 20.03.2023, 18:15

I have FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 840 32-bit public.
It's been working like a charm for a while, but lately, I've seen some odd new problems.
Problem #1: It doesn't update the drive list when I plug in a thumbdrive. In the past, my thumbdrive, as drive I:, would pop up almost immediately. Now it doesn't at all. I can get to the drive by climbing up the folder tree to show all the system drives, and it's there. But it doesn't show up at the top.
Problem #2: It's not showing all the folders or files when new stuff is added in real time.

So, basically, it's not refreshing, even after I hit the refresh button over and over.

This could very easily be a Windows 10 thing, because Win10 has started falling apart lately, no doubt from deliberately built-in "flaws" timed to encourage people to move to Win11. Or, it's just a crap operating system. (Which we've all known for a while.)

In either case, I think if we can figure out why FC is not working, it can diagnostically point to the larger problem with Win10.

Ideas?

Forez

Re: FC not refreshing. FC problem? or Win10 problem?

#2 Post by Forez » 21.03.2023, 21:23

I too have been experiencing staggering various issues related to auto-refreshing of content in Panels, lately noticing even some new ones

But in my case I attribute them [the new ones] to having switched from using Build 880 32-bit Public to version 885 64-bit Donor Portable

But now that you have mentioned possible secret pushing down Windows 11 down the throats' of users- I myself use Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64 [which I am unable to update due to some bug]
Last edited by Forez on 10.08.2023, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

Foxfan20

#3 Post by Foxfan20 » 09.08.2023, 09:28

I am also experiencing a similar problem.

W11 Pro,22H2, 64-bit, FC 892 Donor

I have started using Cryptomator, which (long story short) allocates a drive letter to each encrypted/decrypted vault. For example, I have a Cryptomator folder/vault "MYVAULT" in my OneDrive folder on my C: drive. When I use Cryptomator to unlock and reveal the vault (and thus the contents, now decrypted, as if a normal folder), it automatically allocates a drive letter e.g. Y:, X: and so forth to mount as a virtual drive.

Cryptomator offers a few mounting options for Windows, including WebDav, WinFSP and "Automatic", and I have tried all with FC, but without success.

Interestingly, the only other programme on my system that uses its own selected mounted virtual drives, to browse its system image backups, is Macrium Reflect. When I go through a Macrium routine, similar to the Cryptomator, it will allocate a drive letter for the image, which I can then browse as if its the original disk. In this case, FC will show the Macrium-allocated drive perfectly, and immediately.

The new Cryptomator drive will immediately appear in Windows File Explorer, both as folder contents and also listed under This PC>Devices and Drives, which is the equivalent of the drives panel in FC, and can be manipulated there. However, it will not appear at all in FC, despite refreshes and a restart, and the Cryptomator drive/folder/contents cannot be viewed in FC.

This is a problem, as I want to unlock and reveal my Crptomator vault (folder) on drive X: in one window, add files from Documents or whatever in the other window, and then lock the Cryptomator vault, which dismounts the drive and exits.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 10.08.2023, 02:20

Forez wrote: 21.03.2023, 21:23 I too have been experiencing staggering various issues related to auto-refreshing of content in Panels,
[...]
https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13460

As for strictly volume related issues: quite often when I connect my photo camera, phone, thumb-drives and SSDs [all through USB] they do not show up. But [long story short] suspect that in my case the culprit is my stupid motherboard and / or [in case of camera and phone] my hardware being old

skevil

#5 Post by skevil » 24.08.2023, 03:38

I've also been experiencing issues with refresh (both auto or manual Ctrl+R) not working at all for certain folders; I haven't spent much time testing which folders work or don't work but so far it seems like the size of a folder's content is a common trend among the folders that refuse to refresh but I'm not sure if it's related to the folder's absolute size or the number of files stored in it. I first noticed this issue when trying to change column sorting in an affected folder—the little sort symbol at the top changes direction but the view simply refuses to refresh to reflect the new sorting even when trying to manually refresh. I suspect this may have started after my most recent upgrade as I also noticed several issues related to Favorite Items that I'd never encountered before.

I'm inclined to believe this is a FreeCommander problem rather than something Windows-related since the issue is affecting a wide range of different versions of both Windows 10 & 11.