Stop automatic changing of illegal characters into the _ sign in items names

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Stop automatic changing of illegal characters into the _ sign in items names

#1 Post by Forez » 11.03.2023, 13:19

As apparently this is currently impossible [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13206], I hereby kindly request adding for users ability to define just how exactly illegal characters pasted to names of files and folders should behave

Currently they are all replaced with

Code: Select all

_
sign. The problem with this I have is that I use it solely as a replacement for

/
sign in my naming scheme. And that I have to do it manually in FreeCommander [while in e.g. Mp3tag I have written an Action that translates / replaces this and other substitutes when I copy a filename to the Title tag of a media file]

And so, the basic change that could be implemented would be a choice in Settings of either being prompt always if an illegal character is being tried to be inserted in name of an item or automatically replacing it with the "_" sign [i.e. the current behavior]. While the more advanced upgrade would allow users for:
● defining a replacement sign for a given illegal character
● defining a replacement sign for all of the undefined [i.e. remaining] illegal characters
● choosing if a pop-up question should appear if any illegal character was about to be saved in the name of an item
● choosing if a pop-up question should appear if any undefined character was about to be saved in the name of an item
And such pup-op window should contain:
● a preview of name after performing re/naming operation [like in window of the Muli Rename feature], but with [preferably defined by a user] colors indicating characters in question
● button for accepting translation
● buton for cancelling re/naming operation
● buton for cancelling re/naming operation and automatically opening of entry in Settings where user can define he above listed option
● [plus maybe] a clear [vertical?] list of defined and undefined translations / replacements; and / or of chosen rules options [not so needed if there will be available that above / last button]

Forez

Re: Stop automatic changing of illegal characters into the _ sign in items names

#2 Post by Forez » 16.03.2023, 01:33

Forez wrote: 11.03.2023, 13:19 [...]
[like in window of the Muli Rename feature]
This feature should of course also succumb to all those Settings proposed by me [thus the Options menu in this Muli Rename feature should by slightly reworked]

But as it is a tool for bulk renaming with many definable on the spot options, it should be possible to override already chosen options in main Settings with temporary translations / replacements. Yes- it could be done with just using Search for and Replace with boxes - but adding another tab between Settings and Profiles called something like Illegal Characters Rules would be in my opinion one more improvement

And maybe this new tab would be the place where users could define [or only redefine] their permanent substitutes?

Forez

Re: Stop automatic changing of illegal characters into the _ sign in items names

#3 Post by Forez » 06.04.2023, 18:23

I see that in version 886 [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 315#p40658] a new option has been added:

Tools > Settings > File / folder operations > Rename / Create > Rename > Replace illegal characters with defined character

When it is left empty it adheres in a minimum way to what I had in mind - but I also see now that this
I have to do it manually in FreeCommander [while in e.g. Mp3tag I have written an Action that translates / replaces this and other substitutes when I copy a filename to the Title tag of a media file]
[...]
was not stressing enough the reasoning behind my proposition

The problem with this new update is that it only makes able to replace all illegal characters altogether with just one and the same sign or asks user for manual intervention. So ultimately, for example, I would like to set an automatic replacement of not only

\
to

_
but also of

:
into

while also setup of getting prompted when

>
or

<
would be used, as I do not have in my naming system replacement signs for them at all [and would want them just automatically removed]

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 17.04.2023, 17:32

I see that in version 886 [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 315#p40658] a new option has been added:

Tools > Settings > File / folder operations > Rename / Create > Rename > Replace illegal characters with defined character

which when left empty adheres in a minimum way to what I had in mind - but I see now that this
I have to do it manually in FreeCommander [while in e.g. Mp3tag I have written an Action that translates / replaces this and other substitutes when I copy a filename to the Title tag of a media file]
[...]
was not stressing enough the reasoning behind my proposition

The problem with this new update is that now FC is able: to replace all illegal characters with just one and the same sign, or to remove all illegal characters and put nothing in their place, or to ask every time the user for manual intervention. But I myself would like for example to set an automatic replacement of not only

\
to

_
but also of

:
into

while also setup getting prompted when

>
or

<
would be used, as I do not have replacement signs for these last two [and as being irreplaceable I would want to OK them on the spot to be omitted / removed]