Text sharpness between versions

Discussion, questions and support.
Clutch Cargo

Text sharpness between versions

#1 Post by Clutch Cargo » 17.02.2023, 22:58

I have been a user of the original FreeCommander for years and years. I recently updated one of my displays from 1080 to 1440. What surprised me was when I moved the FreeCommander panel to the 1440 display the text became noticeably blurry, yet when I moved it back to the 1080 display it was nice and sharp. I would have thought the opposite.

So I decided to look at your newer FreeCommander XE and noticed it was extremely sharp now on the 1440 display but not as sharp on the 1080!?

No complaining but curious as to why? Did you guys code FCXE to work with higher resolutions? Is that why I am seeing the differences? Anything I can change to make the original FC sharper in 1440? I know what you guys will say... "just use the newer version". But I wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks for such a useful app,

Clutch

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Text sharpness between versions

#2 Post by Dreamer » 17.02.2023, 23:51

Screenshots could help.

Why are you using old version, do you mean 2009 version? The current version 2023 has so many improvements, it's like a different program now.

Are you testing 1080p resolution on 1440p monitor? If so, it can't be sharp, it's not native resolution.

If you're using 1080p resolution on 1080p monitor, or 1440p on 1440p and it's not sharp, check the system scaling option, it should be 100% if possible, it's the best option.

In the Settings > View > Icon sets - use just "native" sizes, "scaled" sizes could be blurred or not 100% sharp.

Clutch Cargo

Re: Text sharpness between versions

#3 Post by Clutch Cargo » 18.02.2023, 19:08

Thx for the quick reply. Yes, I am still using the 2009 version. I-know, I-know, ut as the saying goes "if it ain't broke... and I have been very happy with it for many-many years. It's only when I purchased a 1440 display (I have a 3-across display setup), did I see such a difference. I was testing both types of displays in their native resolutions. It's just a simple slide FreeCommander back and forth across both displays to see the difference. Mt natural instinct was to assume that when I slide FC from the 1080 display to the 1440 display it would actually become sharper because or more/smaller pixels. I took a couple of screenies to post here but they both were sorta worse so not going to labor on this.

In short, my question really was "do developers have to re-code their apps to handle display resolutions or is that left up to MS Windows?"

I have since d/l FC XE. It's certainly nice and will spend some time to get acquainted with it. If I decide swap out the remaining two displays with 1440's I will update to FC XE.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.