Linked tabs

Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Linked tabs

#1 Post by Dreamer » 07.01.2023, 21:08

Often I'm using the same 2 tabs, 1 in the left panel and 1 in the right panel, multiple 1+1 combinations, to copy or move the items between them.

With mouse it's not so hard to manually select these tabs, but with keyboard it's not so easy, especially with lot of tabs.

My suggestion is the option "linked tabs", it could be for "Tab Properties".

Not sure, how to do it, with the path, tab number, perhaps just a single number, 0 could be "disable linked tabs", 1 could be tab linked with the tab in the other panel, with the same number.

We could just type 1 to tab A in the left panel and type 1 to tab X in the right panel - and if we'll select tab A in the left panel, tab X would be automatically selected in the right panel - and vice versa, the same with number 2 and tabs B and Y.

Tab number could be used not just for linked tabs option, but perhaps also for direct keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs, which was requested already, default shortcuts could be Ctrl+Alt+1 - Ctrl+Alt+0 (0=tab 10), these shortcut should be customizable.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Linked tabs

#2 Post by Marek » 10.01.2023, 20:26

Often I'm using the same 2 tabs, 1 in the left panel and 1 in the right panel, multiple 1+1 combinations, to copy or move the items between them.
Have you checked favorites for the job?

Favorite item can define paths for active und inactive list (or right and left list).
The shortcut can be assigned too.
I could extend the feature to search existing tabs first. If a path from the favorite item is already open in a tab, then the tab would be selected.
This could also be used to select tabs using the keyboard.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 10.01.2023, 22:51

That could be a workaround, but for keyboard shortcuts only, for me.

I'm not using Favorites (just Favorite tools), using the favorites tree would require more space, which would be redundant and duplicated, since I have those paths opened in the tabs already.

Favorites have more issues compared to the tabs:
- small icons
- no custom icons
- complicated using with keyboard (excepts the direct shortcuts)

Sometime I'm using mouse only, sometime keyboard only and I'm used to clicking to the tabs, by icon only, so the keyboard shortcut would be nice, but when clicking to tab, it would be working differently.

Another problem could be, that if the path is opened in the other panel, it would be still opened in the other panel? If the same path is in both panels, which tab would be opened?

BTW I see, that new view modes are missing in Favorite items - View - drop-down list.

I'm using the Favorite tools and the shortcuts Ctrl+1... for the folders/paths - could you make these to automatically focus the opened tab in active panel here?

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 11.01.2023, 21:22

could you make these to automatically focus the opened tab in active panel here?
I think, it will be possible.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 14.01.2023, 11:03

Dreamer wrote: 07.01.2023, 21:08 [...]
and if we'll select tab A in the left panel, tab X would be automatically selected in the right panel
[...]
I would suggest this to be implemented only if a user could turn on and off such behavior