Quick filter to also work on other columns

Suggestions and feature requests.
rjut

Quick filter to also work on other columns

#1 Post by rjut » 02.01.2023, 12:13

I have quite a large photo collection. I organize my photo's in folders and add information to be able to select them in a list. I leave the file name unaltered (e.g. A41A0504.JPG) and use the title and subject tags of the JPG files to add information. This information I make visible by activating the title and subject columns in the view.
Currently the quick filter only works on the filename column. In case of my photo collection that is of little use to me.
My request is if the quick filter can also work on the other columns that are displayed in the view. In my case subject and title. It would be even better that when you add a column to a view that you can also indicate if this column should be included in the quick search.
FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 894 64-bit donor, Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Forez

Re: Quick filter to also work on other columns

#2 Post by Forez » 02.01.2023, 15:24

If added, this should get a separate box; named something like Quick Tags Filter or Quick Filter For Tags

And it should have an icon that when clicked would unfold list of tag fields, so that a user could add and remove fields that should be taken into account during searches. This list should be configurable in Settings

But as much I support your idea - I would also strongly suggest you find for yourself some photos handler, some kind tag editor. I myself use Mp3tag for music files and just do not understand, why people even bother using filehandlers or Windows Explorer for managing their music collections
Last edited by Forez on 06.01.2023, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.

rjut

Re: Quick filter to also work on other columns

#3 Post by rjut » 06.01.2023, 10:53

I do also use mp3tag for my music collection. It works very well indeed. I also use exiftool to, every now and then, make a list of all photo tags and export to an excel file. I use this excel file to search for specific data like camera type or lens setting. It is just that I also use FreeCommander a lot when browsing files including my photo's. Because I can see the title and subject tags I thought it would be usefull if the Quick Search would also use those columns to search. I do not see the need for another search bar. For me it could be integrated into the existing search option. Although I like the suggestion that you can select what columns to search through. Also keep in mind that the subject and title tags are present for all file types, not only photo's. So this feature could also be useful for other users that use these tags to add information to their files.
FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 894 64-bit donor, Windows 11 Pro 22H2