"Change to the last active tab" item, button, shortcut

Bugs and other issues or requests which have been resolved.
Dreamer
Site Admin

"Change to the last active tab" item, button, shortcut

#1 Post by Dreamer » 03.01.2020, 21:56

The option "With click on the active tab - change to the last active" is useful, but it has some issues, moreover, option "go to locked path with double click on tab" can't be used with this feature.

Not just for these, I suggest to add this existing feature as a standard menu item, toolbar button and keyboard shortcut, as "Change to the last active tab".

Marek
Author
Author

Re: "Change to the last active tab" item, button, shortcut

#2 Post by Marek » 05.02.2020, 21:53

This function was improved in 813. Please check again.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 05.02.2020, 22:58

It works different in 813.

Tabs are not switched on first click from inactive window or to inactive panel, but in these cases it doesn't work at all.

It works while the focus is on active panel, but if the focus is changed to other panel, it doesn't work - and if I switch to another window and back to FC window, it doesn't work either.

First click should just activate the FC window / actual panel, second click on tab, or click on tab after the panel is active the option should work.

It looks, there is some delay too, just less than a second. *

* OK, so it looks the delay is on purpose, double click to "go to locked path" works now, this is nice, also closing tab - if activated works now.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 05.11.2020, 21:07

Dreamer wrote: 03.01.2020, 21:56I suggest to add this existing feature as a standard menu item, toolbar button and keyboard shortcut, as "Change to the last active tab".
I really miss a keyboard shortcut to switch between last 2 tabs.

In Firefox Ctrl+Tab switch between last 2 tabs and it's really useful.

In FreeCommander there is no way to switch to last used tab when using keyboard, I have to use mouse, or switch between many tabs with shortcuts and then switch many tabs again, to go to previous tab.

Please consider to add at least the keyboard shortcut to switch to last used tab.

alf5000

#5 Post by alf5000 » 08.11.2020, 17:07

Dreamer wrote: 05.11.2020, 21:07 I really miss a keyboard shortcut to switch between last 2 tabs.

+1, I'm really missing this feature in FCXE.
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 08.11.2020, 19:18

Are you sure?
In my Firefox Ctrl+Tab works the same way as in FC - go to the next TAB.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 08.11.2020, 20:10

I'm not sure if it's a default option, I have this option enabled:

"Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order"

If Ctrl+Tab is used quickly, it switch between last used tabs, when holding Ctrl and then press Tab, preview panel is shown.

I tried the shortcuts in Firefox, Chrome and Edge and all these programs use alternative shortcuts Ctrl+PageUp/Ctrl+PageDown to switch to previous/next tab, probably by default. These shortcuts switch tabs also in Windows dialogs, e.g. in file Properties dialog.

It's not important, if Ctrl+Tab or another shortcut would be used for this option in FC, while it would be customizable, but I really miss the option to switch between last used tabs with keyboard, currently I need to manually switch between all opened tabs, which is not comfortable, especially if I have to switch between these 2 tabs many times.

BTW Some users suggested also direct shortcuts to switch to 1st, 2nd, 3rd... tab, these would be useful too, often I need to switch to 1st tab. If shortcuts like Shift+Alt+Number would be added, another option for tabs could be added - "Add tab number to tab title", so the tabs could be switched directly - faster, with keyboard.

vodoomoth

#8 Post by vodoomoth » 20.11.2022, 19:23

I'm wondering if this is ever coming to FreeCommander. See Ctrl+Tab cycling through the most recent tabs

Once again, I've come to ask for this feature, did a search before posting, and realized that I had already asked about it.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 20.11.2022, 19:57

It was implemented in 833:
New action added - Change to last active tab (Ctrl+PgUp)
This shortcut can be changed to Ctrl+Tab, I'm using this shortcut too, to switch tabs in order I'm using Ctrl+PageUp/Ctrl+PageDown.

Toolbar button to switch to last active tab can be assigned too.

It is already implemented, topic closed.