How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut ?

Discussion, questions and support.
PastorDan

Re: How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut

#46 Post by PastorDan » 19.12.2016, 04:16

If you are using FreeCommander XE, please copy and paste the following code into a text editor and save it as "replace-with-freecommander.reg". Then double click the file to open it and follow the instructions to add to your registry. Now all folders should open with FreeCommander XE. (Note: I had to add the (x86) to get the correct path to FreeCommander XE in Windows 10 64-bit. If you have Windows 32-bit then remove "(x86)" from the last line.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FreeCommander XE\\FreeCommander.exe\" /C /R=\"%1\""

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forez

Re: How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut

#47 Post by Forez » 25.09.2018, 21:55

PastorDan wrote: 19.12.2016, 04:16 If you are using FreeCommander XE, please copy and paste the following code into a text editor and save it as "replace-with-freecommander.reg"
[...]
Similar to that previous solution [https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=6817]
Forez wrote: 11.10.2016, 19:14 [...]
this doesn't work, at least not for uTorrent
[...]
Because
[...]
when double clicking a torrent in uTorrent for the purpose of opening its folder
[...]
sometimes folder is opened via Windows Explorer [sometimes with dozens of second of delay], sometimes a drive is opened in FreeCommander
[...]
However it seems that when clicking a folder or shortcut residing on a desktop, it is opened in FC

So if I was not using uTorrent, this would work form me. But because only via the uTorrent do I open folders not-from-FreeCcommander, these issue is still unresolved for me

Forez

Re: How replace WindowsExplorer for FreeCommander by defaut ?

#48 Post by Forez » 26.09.2018, 18:58

This also has messed up my Windows 7 options for settings: FC tries now to run things like "Screen Resolution" or "Personalize"

ajaxStardust

#49 Post by ajaxStardust » 31.10.2022, 16:37

I just added the original, French to my registry. LOL. and as I was about to freak out when it didn't work, i thanked my morning coffee and remembered that my FreeCommander installation is not located at "C:\\Program Files..."

So, I corrected the following. This is Windows 11 Pro. Works fine for me so far, from five minutes ago. ;)
Thank you.

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander]
@="FreeCommander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\FreeCommander\command]
@="\"C:\\Portable\\FreeCommanderXE\\FreeCommander.exe\" /C /R=\"%1\"" 
For anyone unfamiliar with this sort of thing, the last line in the code above must point to the .exe file for FreeCommander on your own PC.

ajaxStardust

#50 Post by ajaxStardust » 03.08.2023, 04:26

Forez wrote: 26.09.2018, 18:58 This also has messed up my Windows 7 options for settings: FC tries now to run things like "Screen Resolution" or "Personalize"
It took me a while to realize that Control Panel (and others) don't really open. (Of course there are work arounds for that issue)

Has anyone settled on a solution for FreeCommander to "replace" explorer.exe in Win 11, without affecting the CLSID based URL's?

I'm okay with adding e.g. commands as listed here to a "new shortcut" and just place it on desktop/ pin to taskbar. Took me a minute to figure out how to make that work w/out much fuss. Here's a brief screenrec demonstrating the process

but still curious about the former.
thank yoU!
i used to play guitar on stage (jeffsabarese on bandcamp). now i just listen to it on fb2k. :)

Forez

#51 Post by Forez » 03.08.2023, 10:03

Krys wrote: 26.04.2009, 10:58 [...]
how i can fix it to access my control panel entries again?
If you want to access specific elements and not of the Control Panel itself, then check out the GodMode Folder: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13501

Please report back if it works for you

Jay Age

#52 Post by Jay Age » 24.08.2023, 16:34

I was following this thread to replace windows explorer.
Than I realized there is a way better solution described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=7746&sid=7b9ddd859b6603 ... 5413298bf9

Forez

#53 Post by Forez » 25.08.2023, 13:43

It's a pity nobody earlier pointed out in this topic to that swift solution

Thank you for doing so now