Context menu lacks Sort by Date / Time Deleted [when in Recycle Bin]

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Context menu lacks Sort by Date / Time Deleted [when in Recycle Bin]

#1 Post by Forez » 13.08.2022, 17:44

When a user right-clicks on an empty space in main window of Panel then a context menu appears. As a second entry it has a handy sub-menu named "Sort by", which has time-saving shortcuts

Unfortunately when a user is in the Recycle Bin, it does not have a sort order by "Date / Time Deleted" [which sort order I personally often use when I accidentally delete something and have to go to the Recycle Bin in order to find it and rescue it]. I only has a Sort order by "Date/Time" which refers to date and time of items' creation and not their deletions

And thus I propose adding such "Date / Time Deleted" sub-entry, which would:

● revert to previous sort order when user leaves the Recycle Bin [i.e. work like it does now when that sort order is chosen by clicking on a Column named "Date Deleted" when being in a Detailed View mode]

● automatically apply itself when user comes back to the Recycle Bin [i.e. work like it does now when that sort order has been chosen by clicking on a Column named "Date Deleted" when being in a Detailed View mode]

● stay grayed out [i.e. be present but non-clicable] when user is not in the Recycle Bin

● be present and applicable also when user is not in the overall Recycle Bin of the operating system but also in a Recycle Bin folder [accessed through navigating to e.g. D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3797103458-798797042-3558267449-1001]

[I am using FreeCommander version 861 32-bit public on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.746 x64]
Last edited by Forez on 21.03.2023, 20:47, edited 4 times in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Context menu lacks Sort by Date / Time Deleted [when in Recycle Bin]

#2 Post by Dreamer » 13.08.2022, 20:23

Workarounds:

- Use sorting by Date Deleted in Auto views, to switch sorting you can use the context menu or other way, to switch back to "Date deleted" just refresh view (button or Ctrl+R), here is the guide:

FreeCommander XE "not so obvious" settings - Page 2 - FreeCommander Forum

- Use the column header item "Date Deleted", just click it, in details view.

- To quickly find last deleted file use the shortcut Ctrl+End, or the toolbar button.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 24.08.2022, 03:38

Dreamer wrote: 13.08.2022, 20:23 Workarounds:
[...]
- Use the column header item "Date Deleted", just click it, in details view.
[...]
Unfortunately, after having performed this workaround for at hundreds of times by now, for me it is simply very tiresome and annoying

And apparently this cannot be alleviated with a button added to some toolbar, as this peculiar sort order in not available on the list of shortcuts / options: viewtopic.php?t=13004

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 17.03.2023, 18:11

Dreamer wrote: 13.08.2022, 20:23 Workarounds:
[...]
To quickly find last deleted file use the shortcut Ctrl+End, or the toolbar button.
As
Forez wrote: 24.08.2022, 03:38 [...]
this cannot be
[...]
as this peculiar sort order in not available on the list of shortcuts / options: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13004
would not then anyone else benefit also from having new Date / Time Deleted option available in the context menu for Sort order?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 17.03.2023, 21:36

I don't understand what you mean.

Option Ctrl+End and toolbar button Focus newest file is to focus "newest" file, or in recycle bin focus "last deleted" file, just 1 file, not to change sorting.

It's possible to change sorting clicking the column header, or it can be set as default option in auto views, so it will be sorted by date deleted in recycle bin always, automatically.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 21.03.2023, 21:37

Dreamer wrote: 17.03.2023, 21:36 I don't understand what you mean.
[...]
I do not know if we are on the same page her - because what I am talking about is adding of a new Date / Time Deleted option to this already existing sub-menu

It should be visible also when user is not in Recycle Bin, but then it should be grayed out [thus non-selectable at such moment]

And this new feature should also be possible to use through shortcut [an optional and customizable button in the e.g. Address Bar]