Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

Suggestions and feature requests.
Primus

Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

#1 Post by Primus » 22.07.2022, 15:16

It would be good to have toggling of FC window between Maximize and Minimize when clicking on the FC icon in tray.
That is when the FC icon in the system tray is clicked once, it maximizes (if it is minimized) and minimizes (if it is maximized).
This behavior has been implemented with Telegram desktop client.

Forez

Re: Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

#2 Post by Forez » 26.07.2022, 22:15

Primus wrote: 22.07.2022, 15:16 [...]
And also in other programs- but as I have just checked: in a minor part [of what I personally happen to use]

Its a pity that this is not an universal rule of how programs works

Primus

Re: Click on on system tray icon, Togles between Maximize and Minimize of the FC window.

#3 Post by Primus » 01.08.2022, 09:55

Forez wrote: 26.07.2022, 22:15
Primus wrote: 22.07.2022, 15:16 [...]
And also in other programs- but as I have just checked: in a minor part [of what I personally happen to use]

Its a pity that this is not an universal rule of how programs works
No worries. Now that we know the issue is, it's like half solved.
All that has to be done is, code for toggling Window Maximize and Hide to be implemented in the icon click handler.

horst.epp

#4 Post by horst.epp » 01.08.2022, 10:04

That behaviour is standardized but only for icons on the task bar.
From there it also works for the FC.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Primus

#5 Post by Primus » 02.08.2022, 06:41

horst.epp wrote: 01.08.2022, 10:04 That behaviour is standardized but only for icons on the task bar.
From there it also works for the FC.
It'd be good to have it for the Tray Icon as well.
Going to task bar, the behavior is not consistent, because each time the taskbar icon is clicked, launch of a new instance if FC is attempted. If the setting is set to allow only one instance, then a new instance is not launched. But the appearance of the FC Window is not consistence.
Existence of the Tray Icon indicates existence of the FC instance. All that needs to be done is Toggling of Window Show and Hide. This results in a more faster and consistent behavior.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 02.08.2022, 20:14

My opinion, I'm not using system tray for most programs just for the strange and different behavior.

FC tray icon should minimize to tray/restore with single click, without option (start new instance could be in the context menu as option, if needed).

I found few issues and I have some suggestions, I'll create a new topic.

BTW Workaround - When using the option "Allow only one instance", you can use external program to quickly minimize/restore with the multimedia button or any keyboard shortcut.

E.g. With the HotkeyP (free, open source) use the path for the FreeCommander.exe file as a "Command", that's all, just use any keyboard shortcut to start FC - and then minimize/restore quickly anytime, it's possible to use also the shortcut Win+E, no need to use any registry changes. It's possible also to hide FC, change opacity, switch always on top, etc.

Primus

#7 Post by Primus » 09.08.2022, 17:48

Dreamer wrote: 02.08.2022, 20:14 My opinion, I'm not using system tray for most programs just for the strange and different behavior.

FC tray icon should minimize to tray/restore with single click, without option (start new instance could be in the context menu as option, if needed).

I found few issues and I have some suggestions, I'll create a new topic.

BTW Workaround - When using the option "Allow only one instance", you can use external program to quickly minimize/restore with the multimedia button or any keyboard shortcut.

E.g. With the HotkeyP (free, open source) use the path for the FreeCommander.exe file as a "Command", that's all, just use any keyboard shortcut to start FC - and then minimize/restore quickly anytime, it's possible to use also the shortcut Win+E, no need to use any registry changes. It's possible also to hide FC, change opacity, switch always on top, etc.
You have provided helpful suggestions. Thank You !
But I'd think the issue could be better solved my fixing the code of FC, rather than using another utility as a workaround to bring-in the needed functionality.
BTW even HotKeyP toggles between Windows Maximized and Window Hide when the respective Tray Icon is clicked.

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 11.08.2022, 12:44

Primus wrote: 09.08.2022, 17:48 [...]
I'd think the issue could be better solved my fixing the code of FC, rather than using another utility as a workaround to bring-in the needed functionality.
[...]
Yep

Third party programs and various scripts are handy. But there is always a possibility of:
- spending huge amount of time trying to create a workaround
- failing entirely trying to creating a workaround
- having to choose which workaround [for which software] to use and which not on the account of some ill interaction between them
- forgetting just how many workarounds a user utilizes and in what form and / or how they work