Undo option of Multi Rename has misleading name and unnecessary closes window

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Undo option of Multi Rename has misleading name and unnecessary closes window

#1 Post by Forez » 24.07.2022, 23:07

The Multi Rename feature [available after pressing of CTRL + M] in its window under the

Command > Undo

gives users an ability to correct a mistake by undoing renaming process that has been just performed. But in my opinion it works wrong - or it is just named incorrectly and another option is needed aside from it

Because what it it does is not just an undoing of renaming - but it also performs a closing of that whole window. And thus a user potentially not only wastes time for a re-opening of Multi Rename, but also for writing from scratch an expression that was present in

Pattern > File name

and cause an unwanted effect. To me personally this happens often, as I select hundreds of files consisting of a name and a number, write down an expressions that re-uses the same name but changes a number - but I forget to take into account how counter & sorting works and thus end up with an error saying that a file [with some number] already exists. So right now that current behavior of obligatory closing of window is very annoying - and I can view it as time saving only for someone who in a particular situation wants to ditch the renaming entirely or come back to it only much later on

And so it would more time saving if this Undo would stop closing the Multi Rename window - or- [even better] if it would be renamed to

Command > Undo & Close

and be accompanied from thereon by new / old

Command > Undo

entry that would not execute closing, but would just revert the renaming and leave the

Pattern > File name

as it was before clicking the Rename button done by a user