844 - No thumbnails in FC and Windows Explorer for png, jpg...

Discussion and questions - donor version.
Dreamer
Site Admin

844 - No thumbnails in FC and Windows Explorer for png, jpg...

#1 Post by Dreamer » 06.03.2021, 21:43

It's strange, I tried to remove some cache files, as it was in the link from you, thumbnails were not removed, then I used disk cleanup, removed thumbnails.

I just don't have any thumbnails now, in FC and WE.

In FC 840 old thumbnails are shown, just the new thumbs are missing.

In XnView all thubmnails are shown, old and new.

I can't restart PC now, I'll try it later...
FC Screenshot_03062021_214227.png
FC Screenshot_03062021_214227.png (17.78 KiB) Viewed 11483 times

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: 8443 - No thumbnails in FC and Windows Explorer for png, jpg...

#2 Post by Dreamer » 07.03.2021, 00:04

After the PC restart:

840 - old and new thumbs are OK
8443+ - old and new thumbs are broken

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 07.03.2021, 23:41

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

I have to wait 5-20 minutes until the thumbnails are loaded!

I can't test bugs, I'm waiting 15 minutes for loading xnview.exe thumbnail, I tried to copy this one file to a new folder, no other items are there and the thumbnail is not loaded. Then I opened 840, copied the path there and the thumbnail was loaded instantly.

Working on new icons is hard, I have to open XnView MP for each folder, copy path there, if I want to see the thumbnails, they are missing in WE too.

It's really frustrating. :(

What about this bug:

8443+ - Task manager thumbnails bug - FreeCommander Forum

I think all these bugs are related - missing thumbs, missing columns, fc exe not closing correctly.

Right now one folder with png files, thumbnails were finally loaded, I changed tab to other and back, and thumbnails are missing again - it's the SAME behavior as with columns!

EDIT:
Marek wrote: 06.03.2021, 17:07I do not know, I've also seen folders that were correct in FreeCommander and incorrect in Windows Explorer.
I have not tried but may be help to clear Windows thumb cache: https://neosmart.net/wiki/clear-thumbna ... _Windows10
If you want to reproduce few bugs I reported lately, you can try it too, it should be on HDD with thousands of folders, files, images, videos, mp3s...

What I did was:

How to clear the thumbnails cache in Windows 10
Method 1 - here just some files were deleted, not all, even if I started FC as admin - bad thumb background bug was not fixed after this.
Method 2 - after disk cleanup bad thumb background bug was fixed and all problems with no thumbs, no columns and task manager started.

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 08.03.2021, 16:03

I have tried Method 2. No problem, first time I view thumb in one folder is a bit slower.
What about AV program? Have you tried to deactivate it?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 08.03.2021, 21:20

What about Method 1? Perhaps it's an Explorer bug, I'm not sure, I will be searching for a solution...

I'm using just the Defender, tried to disable real time protection and cloud protection, still the same - moreover, I can't exit FC now, clicking the X does not work, no dialog, no freezing, had to kill it in task manager.

Then I tried to disable real time and cloud protection, start FC, old icons thumbnails were loaded instantly, new icons thumbs not leaded, then I enabled real time protection after a minute, don't want to be without protection too long.

I think that some other background operations are blocking active panel thumbs or columns loading.

After closing 4x fc exe in task manager, I started FC, no thumbs in both panels, few minutes, then I started XnView Classic, thumbs loaded instantly, started XnView MP, thumbs loaded instantly, same path, same icons. - In both XnView programs embedded thumbs and thumb cache was disabled before opening, so thumbs were loaded newly from files.

Strange thing is, that I opened recycle bin tab, I had columns, then switched to another tab and back and columns are missing, how is it possible? - I restarted FC and I have the columns in recycle bin - tab switch and no columns again.

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 08.03.2021, 21:52

Have you tried to start FC as admin?
It seems - all operations in FC started in thread are blocked.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 08.03.2021, 22:13

Started as admin, still the same, but...

When I started 8443+ with default settings, all icons are loaded instantly!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 08.03.2021, 22:42

OK, with the settings from backup it works, I'll try to find the file or option which causing the problem...

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2021, 00:03

OK, it's the FreeCommander.lay.ini file, I can send you this file if you want, it's not the first time I have a problem with this file, became corrupted.

I found something within this file:

Code: Select all

Caption=-
Path=C:\Programs
PathLastUsed=C:\Programs
DetailedView=Movies
This is strange, it's wrong, I didn't use "movies" view for programs, perhaps "lock view" option caused it, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I guess this could cause all the recent problems, while thumbnails view is active, option from columns view for "movies" could be used and it's trying to load metadata from the files, which doesn't exist, I'm using columns "length" and "frame height" for "movies" column profile. Is it possible - that this could block loading of thumbs?

After the FC restart - with lay file from backup thumbnails are loaded instantly, but - when I switch tabs quickly, it's broken again, also if I just open Settings and press OK.

After FC exit, kill exe, restart FC, thumbs are loaded, switch to other tab and back 3 times and they are broken again. This is strange, I tried it 5x, switch tab quickly, slowly, with shortcuts, with mouse click, when I switch to other tab and back once, twice, no problem, thumbs are lost when I switch it third time, always! :shock:

EDIT: I deleted all column profiles, all auto views, all items, restarted and the same issue - switch tab 3x and thumbs are lost.

Now I deleted all layouts, restarted FC, still the same, 3x switch and thumbs are broken.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2021, 00:19

I can reproduce it with default settings:
- ended all fc.exe processes in task manager
- removed all files from SettingsTest folder
- started fc with default settings, these parameters:

Code: Select all

/N /NewIni=%FcSrcDrive%\Programs\!Misc\Settings\FreeCommander\SettingsTest\FreeCommander.ini /NoPlugins /ShowHidden /Lng=English /size=800x600
- tab1 - changed path to folder with png icons 64px
- tab2 - opened new tab d: - list view
- tab1 - changed view to thumbs
- switch to tab2, tab1 first time
- thumbs are ok
- switch to tab2, tab1 second time
- thumbs are ok
- switch to tab2, tab1 third time
= thumbs are broken

FC 8443+

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2021, 19:49

Problem solved itself today.

It was really strange, I deleted 1000+ files from recycle bin and also about 10 000 files, mostly for testing, images, it was yesterday and after that I still had those problems, it was solved today.

Anyway, it was weird, I had the humbnails with default settings, but 3x switch tab and they were lost again, also after 3x F12+Enter, and I tested it on 2 different disks, it was the same on both.

Closed.

Also other reported bugs look fixed, I'll add reports later, I hope it will stay OK.