Slow pagedown in detail view

Discussion and questions - donor version.
mumajs

Slow pagedown in detail view

#1 Post by mumajs » 03.01.2020, 21:47

Hello All,
I dont know if that is bug, or it is as is, but freecommnander XE x64 (latest version, but it was like this probably always) is very slow when going by pagedown in the list of files. I am using detail view. I did a comparison with some other file managers, because sometimes I work also in another file manager and the result is significant. I created 2000 zero size text files in one folder.
Then in every file manager (default settings - fresh instance) I went from first file to the last by holding page down. Below you can see the results.

freecommander - 10,0 second
totalcommander - 1,87 second
altap salamander - 1,6 second
xyplorer - 1,45 second

Every FM was capable to reach end before 2 seconds, but for FXCE it was 10 seconds. Is there anything I can do to improve that? Also in only list view (without details) is freecommander jumping by holding PD for almost 2 seconds.

Thank you,

ralfso

Re: Slow pagedown in detail view

#2 Post by ralfso » 04.01.2020, 00:14

Do you have switched on Folders > "Size of folders" ?
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

mumajs

#3 Post by mumajs » 04.01.2020, 11:46

No, size of folders is disabled. And I am in the folder of 2000 files, there is not any folder inside.

xelite

#4 Post by xelite » 01.05.2020, 07:45

the same problem, and when you click FC icon on windows taskbar to minimize it then click the icon again to restore the window of FC, you can see a black for a while on FC window, then back to normal.

May be FC not using the full graphic power of the operating system.

mumajs

#5 Post by mumajs » 02.05.2020, 14:24

I can confirm I see something similar to what you see when opening freecommander from taskbar. Black not so often but always I can see how the freecommander is showing itself then moving the columns appropriately and so on. I can easily see how it is "painted"

dsperber

#6 Post by dsperber » 04.05.2020, 07:27

mumajs wrote: 02.05.2020, 14:24 always I can see how the freecommander is showing itself then moving the columns appropriately and so on. I can easily see how it is "painted"
Do you have "auto-resize columns" active?

If you do, and you disable that feature and simply manually position your column dividers into fixed locations that are almost always perfectly acceptable and more than large enough, does that affect the behaivor of the symptom you're describing?

xelite

#7 Post by xelite » 25.05.2020, 09:40

after some search and try, I believe the problem is not related to "auto-resize columns". I am using fixed width of column in Details view, which set in View -> Column profiles -> Profile settings...

Freenot

#8 Post by Freenot » 15.06.2020, 23:19

What I'm noticing is that in details view when I scroll up or down quickly, I see the rows of information ghosting on top of each other. As if you cut and pasted the top half of the line over itself in Photoshop many times. Like blur motion, but it's all sharp. It seems like a screen redraw issue.

It does not do this in regular Explorer.

dsperber

#9 Post by dsperber » 16.06.2020, 03:15

I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Using C:\Windows\System32 as the test folder, as it has about 100 folders in it and another about 2900 files, for a total of about 3000 items. I, too, have details view active in my right-pane and Tree active in my left pane. I normally split my screen TOP/BOTTOM but for this test I'm just running un-split with one panel, Tree on left and Details on right.

For this test I'm using an Eizo 24" monitor running at 1920x1200 resolution, 125% display text size, graphics is nVidia GTX1650, Win7 x64 Skylake Lenovo M910t desktop machine. FCXE 819, with window enlarged to almost full screen, showing 40 rows. The test consists of positioning the FCXE display to have the first detail line selected, and then holding down the "page down" key while the display scrolls down a page at a time, re-painting whatever it does in the details pane. Takes about 5 seconds or so to reach the bottom. Then I pressed-and-held the "page up" key to reverse the scrolled display in the details pane until the top line is again reached. Once more takes about 5 seconds.

I took a "screen recording" MP4 of this test. Attached is a ZIP of that MP4, for you to download and play for yourself, to see what is going on for me. No question the complete scrolling process through the 3000 rows (by holding page-down or page-up until complete) takes about 5 seconds in each direction, but is this unexpected?

I don't have the other products you mention that you say "do it much faster". But it's actually slower (more like 7 seconds) to accomplish the same scrolling for 3000 rows using Windows Explorer (again, Win7 for this test). So I can't tell how those other products render the rapid scrolling using page-down/page-up. But of course with FCXE if you simply press the END key you are INSTANTANEOUSLY TAKEN TO THE BOTTOM ROW, which is effectively the same as holding page-down for 5 seconds to reach the same bottom row via scrolling... if that's what you wanted to achieve.

I do not see any hesitation or "black screen" when minimizing the FCXE window (to the taskbar), and then restoring the window (from the taskbar). The window simply animates away, and then animates back. But no "black screen" or any hesitation.

Am I missing something in my reading of your problem description?
Attachments
FCXE_rapid-scroll.zip
(13.82 MiB) Downloaded 466 times

Freenot

#10 Post by Freenot » 16.06.2020, 04:12

dsperber,

Maybe I'm confused, but is your post directed at me or the moderator? I grabbed a screen shot from your video which clearly illustrates the problem I'm seeing and have attached it here.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvMVzm49G-ZrhwiS2du ... 6?e=Rw6N1X

Windows 10 built-in explorer does not do this at all. The text never jumbles up like that.

Disregard if it was directed at the moderator. (And I wish they'd just let me upload images in line.)

Zorkoff

#11 Post by Zorkoff » 16.06.2020, 14:11

I have seen similar scrolling problems when using the Synchronize Folders function with a long list of files in each panel.

When I grab the scroll bar and use the mouse to review the file differences, the RIGHT panel will scroll legibly, but the LEFT panel turns into a jumbled mess.
If I move the mouse down slowly the LEFT panel is closer to legible.

This is true with version 810 through 820 64 bit on Windows 10 1909 (and 1903).

The same is true for version 799 32 bit on Windows 10 1909 (and 1903).

dsperber

#12 Post by dsperber » 16.06.2020, 17:31

Freenot wrote: 16.06.2020, 04:12 dsperber,

Maybe I'm confused, but is your post directed at me or the moderator? I grabbed a screen shot from your video which clearly illustrates the problem I'm seeing and have attached it here.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvMVzm49G-ZrhwiS2du ... 6?e=Rw6N1X

Windows 10 built-in explorer does not do this at all. The text never jumbles up like that.

Disregard if it was directed at the moderator. (And I wish they'd just let me upload images in line.)
No, I was certainly replying to your post. And now that you've confirmed that what I captured in my video is what you've described as a "problem" (although I didn't see the other reported symptom by @xelite, i.e. the "black screen" briefly when minimizing to taskbar and restoring), we're on the same page. When I said I must be missing something my point really was that I don't see where this is a "problem".

There are 3000 rows, and my window is 40 rows tall. That's 75 page-down's, to see all 3000 rows 40 at a time. If I simply tap on page-down, to present the next 40 rows, I see what looks like the functional equivalent of 40 consecutive down-arrow single-line-at-a-time taps. Down-arrow rolls the screen up 1 row, and page-down seems to roll the screen up 40 rows as if I had pressed down-arrow 40 consecutive times but individually. So page-down is really like an animated movie of 40 "frames", each one showing the result of having scrolled down one more row.

My nVidia GTX1650 is very fast, and the typa-matic repeat of holding down the page-down key is also fast, so the "speed of this animated movie" which is scrolling through the 3000 rows in 75 pages of 40 rows scrolled-as-fast-as-possible at a time in 5 seconds means it is simply presenting 15 "pages" of 40 rows every second consecutively for 5 seconds. And each and every row of each 40-row page is different. This is a blindingly fast movie, and things are moving too quickly to be able to stop-and-see any one line. What would you like to see instead?

You're certainly not going to expect to actually clearly see each and every line as it whips up the screen scrolling 40 rows at a time 15 times per second? If you wanted to make out a line you would simply tap page-down once, not hold it down. And if you wanted to get to the bottom of the 3000 rows "instantly", just push the END key and you're there... with no scrolling at all.

Now to be fair, using the Win7 Windows Explorer (I'm just not on Win10 at the moment) I see what you're pointing out, about a difference between what appears on the screen as you page-down through the same 3000 rows using Windows Explorer vs. what appears when using FCXE. No question it is "clearer". But then it also takes about 2 seconds longer to transit the full 3000 rows. I see more vertical space between rows than in FCXE, so my Windows Explorer window has 30 rows not the 40 that FCXE has. So that's 100 pages of 30 rows each, presented in 7 seconds. That's just about the same 15 pages per second, just fewer rows per page and with more white space between rows.

Also, it does look like the page-down effect still looks as if it is happening as 30 consecutive down-arrow individual scrolls, rather than simply refreshing a completely brand new page of 30 brand new rows. There definitely is the appearance of a very fast "scroll". And you're certainly right, that each of the lines seems clearly presented as they rapidly scroll upward. But I wonder if that's the result of graphics hardware and screen hardware, being more successful at rapidly rendering the Explorer lines which are surrounded by much more white space than the FCXE display which actually has much smaller text size on each line as well as "grid lines" between each row. Explorer does not have "grid lines"between rows, which may be very relevant to the rendering anomaly using FCXE.

I'm attaching another MP4 video of the Windows Explorer experiment. And as you've stated, the "ghosting" as you've called it with FCXE certainly doesn't occur. But it also seems to be presenting more slowly than FCXE presents (unless that's just the visual effect of FCXE rows being closer together and having less white space per row). In fact, the highlighted "blue" line actually seems to dance a bit and not fixed on the same line throughout as it is with FCXE.

I will try one more experiment with FCXE, to see if I disable "grid lines" is that makes any difference. But again, I don't really think of this as a "problem" or issue of some kind. Certainly there is something different, but does it actually affect something you wanted to do but can't?
Attachments
Windows-Explorer_page-down_scroll.zip
(8.82 MiB) Downloaded 462 times

dsperber

#13 Post by dsperber » 16.06.2020, 17:40

Nope. Turning off grid lines doesn't affect anything. Still shows the "ghosting".

Might simply be that FCXE is presenting 15 pages of 40 rows (i.e. individual scrolls) per second, which is 600 scrolls (i.e. text on each screen line) per second. In contrast because of the additional white space between rows using Explorer, we're seeing 15 pages of 30 rows per second, which is 450 scrolls. And that allows more time for each row presented on the screen to be "fully rendered" by all software and hardware involved.

Interesting, for sure. But a "problem"? FCXE is simply scrolling 33% faster than Explorer, and the hardware can't keep up.

Freenot

#14 Post by Freenot » 16.06.2020, 19:13

Okay, my last word on the subject—

This visual anomaly shows up when I simply scroll down once with my mouse wheel (my mouse is set to scroll 6 lines at time). Yes, I can see the same effect during normal use. I don't have to be doing a speed test. Sorry, this bothers you so much, but these lines are distracting as heck to me.

I also use a dark theme, so the "white space" theory is out the window. I have a 2080ti and I'm sure my GPU can keep up.

But I didn't mean this to turn into a tit-for-tat argument. I uninstalled it and found a better a solution.

Thanks for your help.