How well is the search within PDF files plugin?

Discussion, questions and support.
mgroen

How well is the search within PDF files plugin?

#1 Post by mgroen » 08.03.2020, 21:48

I need a good tool to search contents within a bunch of PDF files. Not looking for search for file name, but actually search in the contents of these pdf files for a specific word (term).

I thought this is possible with a plugin but only with a pro version of FC, right?

Since I am considering donating for FC, I am curious how well is the search within PDFs in the pro version? (I can't test it yet because I don't have the pro version).

Is it well designed?
Is it reliable?

Will searching within Pdf files (contents) ever be standard functionality in FC?

Thanks,

Marek
Author
Author

Re: How well is the search within PDF files plugin?

#2 Post by Marek » 08.03.2020, 23:14

The search function (within PDF files) use the text converter program xdoc2txt.exe
You can see and test how it works in the viewer https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Converter.html.
If the search function has to search for a text in a pdf file, then it first converts the pdf file into a text file and then the search is carried out in the text file.
You can download xdoc2txt and make self the conversion.
FC only automates the conversion and searching in the text files.

mgroen

#3 Post by mgroen » 11.03.2020, 09:52

Marek wrote: 08.03.2020, 23:14 The search function (within PDF files) use the text converter program xdoc2txt.exe
You can see and test how it works in the viewer https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Converter.html.
If the search function has to search for a text in a pdf file, then it first converts the pdf file into a text file and then the search is carried out in the text file.
You can download xdoc2txt and make self the conversion.
FC only automates the conversion and searching in the text files.
I tried to download xdoc2txt, by clicking on the link on the help page, but the link is unreachable (dead link).

Is there anyway you can send me the program in dm?

thanks,

mgroen

#5 Post by mgroen » 11.03.2020, 11:11

Thanks!

I tried it, and it works well :)

but, if FC needs to first convert every pdf it needs to search, prior to the search in the txt format, in every searched file.... how will the performance be??
for example, I need to search for one term in let say 1000 pdf files in 20 folders.. will it be handled without crashes?