feature request: implement activation by hovering for icon "up one level"

Suggestions and feature requests.
mgroen

feature request: implement activation by hovering for icon "up one level"

#1 Post by mgroen » 20.02.2020, 12:49

Having set hover to 100 ms,

in the panel,
files are activated by hovering (OK),
but icon for up one level is not activated by hovering over it.
see screenshot:

https://postimg.cc/Q9TfxtRV

Thanks,

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: feature request: implement activation by hovering for icon "up one level"

#2 Post by Dreamer » 20.02.2020, 22:20

Confirmed with default settings, in 813.

It works good with NC-Mode, so perhaps it's a bug - or just a different / Windows behavior?

Anyway, you can try the NC-Mode, at least as workaround, it's a bit different, it has some useful features, you can select item with Insert and Space...

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 20.02.2020, 22:27

It works.
The '..' item will be never selected only focused.

mgroen

#4 Post by mgroen » 21.02.2020, 11:49

Marek wrote: 20.02.2020, 22:27 It works.
The '..' item will be never selected only focused.
Thats current behaviour, right?

So, can this be a "valid" feature request? "This" meaning auto activation of the ".." just by hovering over it?

edit: also tested with NC mode. Makes no noteable difference to me.
Also, I would like to add to the feature request, that I'd also like to work this for "normal" folders (not just the ".." (up one level)). Forgot this to mention in the original message - but to make it clear I will make separate feature request for that.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 21.02.2020, 20:28

mgroen wrote: 21.02.2020, 11:49edit: also tested with NC mode. Makes no noteable difference to me.
Also, I would like to add to the feature request, that I'd also like to work this for "normal" folders (not just the ".." (up one level)). Forgot this to mention in the original message - but to make it clear I will make separate feature request for that.
Hm.. it works good here, with NC-mode - try to press the Apply button and restart FC if needed.

When I move a cursor to [..] item, folder or file, these items are focused. Of course, if you move a cursor away too slow, it will focus another item, try to test it with higher Hover time value, like 500 ms. Also you need to move a cursor right over the item name. You can try to use the option "Full row select".

mgroen

#6 Post by mgroen » 22.02.2020, 13:47

Dreamer wrote: 21.02.2020, 20:28
mgroen wrote: 21.02.2020, 11:49edit: also tested with NC mode. Makes no noteable difference to me.
Hm.. it works good here, with NC-mode - try to press the Apply button and restart FC if needed.

When I move a cursor to [..] item, folder or file, these items are focused. Of course, if you move a cursor away too slow, it will focus another item, try to test it with higher Hover time value, like 500 ms. Also you need to move a cursor right over the item name. You can try to use the option "Full row select".
Some clarification: What I mean is actual "activation" of the function [..] when it is hovered over by mouse pointer. In my situation the [..] becomes focused as well when hovering over it, but not activated. I still have to actually click. NC on or off makes no difference.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 22.02.2020, 18:26

Still can't reproduce. I'm not sure what you mean by "activation", try this:

- enable nc-mode
- restart FC
- enable quick viewer with ctrl+q
- set hover time to 500
- move a cursor to any file, e.g. image
- quick viewer show the image
- move a cursor to [..] item
- quick viewer should show the text with info about the root folder, path, content, size, created, attributes

If it's not changed like this in your case, try it again with default settings.

BTW you don't have to use quick viewer, also the status bar info should be changed.

mgroen

#8 Post by mgroen » 22.02.2020, 18:31

Dreamer wrote: 22.02.2020, 18:26 Still can't reproduce. I'm not sure what you mean by "activation", try this:

- enable nc-mode
- restart FC
- enable quick viewer with ctrl+q
- set hover time to 500
- move a cursor to any file, e.g. image
- quick viewer show the image
- move a cursor to [..] item
- quick viewer should show the text with info about the root folder, path, content, size, created, attributes

If it's not changed like this in your case, try it again with default settings.

BTW you don't have to use quick viewer, also the status bar info should be changed.
Correct. I get exactly what you say. But I would like to see actual moving up one level while [..] if hovered for more then 500 ms. So go up one level if [..] is hovered over 500ms in this case.

Thats what I mean with activation. Thats what this feature request is about. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Of course it should be setting, so that current behavour (displaying text about folder, path, content, size etc) can be preserved for users who want it.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 22.02.2020, 18:55

OK, thanks for clarification.

Anyway, I think it would be hard to use - and with the folder, I think you suggested too, it would be even more confusing, path would be changing on cursor movement...

mgroen

#10 Post by mgroen » 22.02.2020, 18:58

Dreamer wrote: 22.02.2020, 18:55 OK, thanks for clarification.

Anyway, I think it would be hard to use - and with the folder, I think you suggested too, it would be even more confusing, path would be changing on cursor movement...
Yes but with large hovering time you can set it for approx. 1000 ms this would prevent to much openings of files/folders.

you can also think about implementing 2 hovering times: first one for opening view in the Quick viewer, second hovering time for opening the folder / activating [..] . You see what I mean?