Synchronize: Prevent Question Marks or Strike Throughs

Bugs and issues.
CGP

Synchronize: Prevent Question Marks or Strike Throughs

#1 Post by CGP » 18.11.2019, 03:39

Hi. I love FreeCommander. I am using 790a 32-bit public. But here is a new problem that is big for me. I have backups of many folders on many different hard drives. For some reason, the same files in different backups have different dates in spite of the fact that they are identical. When I compare the different backups (by pressing alt-s) with the Date box checked, all the files are listed in both panes and the file names in one pane are struck through. Similarly, if I do the same without the Date box checked, all the files are listed in both panes and all have question marks next to them. I would like to compare the files by name and size, completely ignoring date, and find the files which are different. But some folders I compare have thousands of files. To find the files which are different I have to look through hundreds of screens of file names. It seems to me that the Compare function (which I love and have used often) is broken.

Is there a work around? Can you fix the problem?

Thanks.

jeron

Re: Synchronize: Prevent Question Marks or Strike Throughs

#2 Post by jeron » 08.01.2020, 21:58

Have you found an answer for this?
I have exactly the same issue and I spend time every few months trying to research it.

FreeCommander XE 2019 Build 790a 64-bit donor

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 08.01.2020, 22:10

First - It would make sense to use the current version 810.

If you want the answer:
- Prepare an example with some files
- Make screenshots out of it
- Mark your problems on the screenshot.

jeron

#4 Post by jeron » 08.01.2020, 22:19

I will.
Thank you.

jeron

#5 Post by jeron » 08.01.2020, 22:51

I tried it in my older version and the new version and the results were the same.
If unselecting the "=" in the "Show" settings, would hide the items marked with question marks, then the problem would be solved.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DbG83 ... 7_haZd5UcA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KaZdI ... R1ZiNYilYD

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 08.01.2020, 23:21

The aim of the comparison operation during synchronization is to determine which files have to be copied in which direction in order to get the folders on both sides the same.
Question mark means that with the options set it was not possible to determine the copy direction.
First activate all buttons in the "Show" area.
In "Compare by" box activate Date option (To be sure that the files are the same, you can also activate the "Checksum" option ).
Now click on "Compare" button.
Probably all files have "=" sign - it is nothing to copy.
If some files in the list are with arrows - you can use "Synchronize..." button for starting copy operation.

jeron

#7 Post by jeron » 08.01.2020, 23:52

The problem is with all the question mark items (there can be 1000's of them), it is difficult to see the items that are actually going to be synced so you can scrutinize the list and make sure it is what you want.

Unchecking the all of the items in the Sort Box should yield no visible results in the results.

Why are the question mark items not "=" items?

Karol

#8 Post by Karol » 09.01.2020, 08:06

Have you tried to use "Date" option in "Compare by" box?
Try it first. You should get no question marks if you use the option.

jeron

#9 Post by jeron » 09.01.2020, 17:03

Yes that works to remove the question mark items but the dates don't all match so it adds a bunch of new items to the result set.
I usually go back and forth between selecting and unselecting the ("compare by" -> "date") box so I can remove the question marks and see what the real result set is for the non-date comparison.

Karol

#10 Post by Karol » 11.01.2020, 09:22

If the timestamp of the file is different, it means that the file has been changed. The task of the synchronization is to find and copy such files in the right direction.
If you compare the files on different hard drives and one is formatted with FAT and the other with NTFS, then the times can differ by 2 seconds. In this case use the "Ignore up to 2 sec." Option.

jeron

#11 Post by jeron » 15.01.2020, 17:43

I am only choosing to compare by Name and Size. These are static files and the timestamps are irrelevant.

I need the files to show as "=". They are equal based on my requested criteria. Then I can exclude them from the results view by unselecting the "=" item.

They show as "?" which I can't exclude from the results view.

Karol

#12 Post by Karol » 15.01.2020, 18:07

Timestamps are always relevant for comparing process.
If timestamp is bad for you - use "Checksum" option (takes longer).

jeron

#13 Post by jeron » 15.01.2020, 18:16

Timestamps are not always relevant.
Checksum is not a reasonable option, the files are too large.

If this is really how the software is intended to perform then I will just move on, but it doesnt seem logical based on the options presented.

Marek
Author
Author

#14 Post by Marek » 19.01.2020, 12:00

In the release 811 is possible to use only Name and Size for comparison process.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting for everyone to find out what kind of files you are synchronizing and think that the date or checksum is not important.

CGP

#15 Post by CGP » 22.02.2020, 04:39

Hi again. My forum settings were reset, so I received no email notifications about this thread. I just now saw the replies above for the first time. I changed the settings back.

I upgraded to 810a, but the problem with question marks and strike-throughs remains.

I hope you understand that I consider 2 files to be the same if they have the same names and sizes and are in the same folders. As I mentioned in the first post, for some reason file dates get changed at times when copying or moving the files. So, I want to ignore file dates when comparing folder contents.

I looked for version 811, but could not find it.

Could you explain what the question marks and strike-throughs mean? Files that have the same names, sizes, and dates in the right and left panes have question marks. I don't understand why. Freecommander cannot determine that they are the same? And files that have the same names but different sizes in the 2 panes are struck-through in one pane, but are not shown in red, as I would expect.

Thanks.