FTP, problem with user Password in 804 beta

Bugs and issues.
Hugo_W

FTP, problem with user Password in 804 beta

#1 Post by Hugo_W » 04.12.2019, 20:14

Hello Marek,

I would like to report a problem that has occupied me for several days. On the PC of a friend there is a strange behavior with the password in FTP.

The problem system:
Win 10 Pro Version 1909 (AMD processor) FC 804 beta portable, mobile phone Samsung S8 Android 9 with "Primitive FTP" as FTP connection.

Description of various variants for FTP connection with FC:
1. Restart FC-> New FTP -> enter data (including username / password) -> connect -> connection o.K.

2. Restart FC-> New FTP -> enter data (including username / password) -> OK button, security message password, window closes, -> double-click
on connection name -> connection o.K.

3. Restart FC-> New FTP -> enter data (including username / password) -> OK button, security message password, close window, -> save settings-> double-click on connection name -> connection o.K. After restarting the FC, the data should actually be stored correctly. But ... ..-> see 4.

4. Restart the FC -> double-click on connection name -> no access to mobile phone
Error message in the window below:
220 Service ready for new user
331 Usename ok, need password for ...
530 530 Authentication failed

This is fully reproducible on this PC, even with other phones or tablets.

In the "FreeCommander.FTP" all data seems to be correct, FtpUserPass = encrypted and therefore not testable for me. I have the assumption that when saving the "FreeCommander.FTP" something happens with the password. As long as the FC is not closed, other devices can be detected and the connections work.

Once the FC is closed and restarted, the password problem always occurs. If the password is reentered in the same session, everything will work again until the next reboot.

Further investigations:
On the "problem PC" the FTP connections on test installations of Total Commander and Double Commander work perfectly.

On my own PC with Win 10 Pro 1909 (Intel) and FC 804 portable the connection works with the same S8 and all other devices without problems as it should.

Where could be the cause? I am at a loss!

Miscellaneous:
I wanted to attach a file, but I can not navigate to the desired file on board and select. Where is the trick?

Hugo

Marek
Author
Author

Re: FTP, problem with user Password in 804 beta

#2 Post by Marek » 04.12.2019, 22:50

Try using the FreeCommander.ftp.ini file from the problem PC on your PC (and vice versa).
With that you could exclude errors in the file.
If antivirus (AV) program is used - do a test with disabled AV.

Hugo_W

Re: FTP, problem with user Password in 804 beta

#3 Post by Hugo_W » 07.12.2019, 18:10

Hello Marek,
thanks for your information. It took a while for me to answer. Shutdown antivirus program was a little bit difficult.
Results:
- Disabling the AV program does not change anything-

- Exchange FreeCommander.ftp.ini between both PC's -> same error remains on problem PC, my pc
with the INI of the problem PC can easily create new FTP connections.

Further investigation:
On my PC -> new download 804 portable, installation on USB stick, new FTP connection entered and setting FTP as a drive, no other changes. Function is normal.
On the problem-PC, the FC started from the same USB stick. The data in the FTP.ini is not saved correctly. If only name, address and port are filled out this data is there. If the field Server-Path is filled additionally the data will be removed from the FTP.ini. I tried that several times.
We stopped the experiments because my colleague did not want anymore.

I noticed something else:
Even with a portable installation, the "Temp path" in "About FreeCommander" refers to a local directory .... AppData \ local \ Temp ... .. outside of the installation folder. Is that OK.?
Best regards
Hugo