Several improvement suggestions for the Search function

Suggestions and feature requests.
ruudboek

Several improvement suggestions for the Search function

#1 Post by ruudboek » 19.01.2008, 21:55

1. Option to limit the search depth
It would be great if an option would be available that enables you to set the search depth. By this i mean to what subdirectory level freecommander will actually do the search.
This will enable you to get more accurate search results and another advantage will be that the search will also take less time.
This is especially confinient when you have to search within thousends of files and folders.

2. Exact matches
It would be great if an option would be available that makes the search return exact matches only.
This should greatly improve accuracy and search speed.

3. Exclude directories list
It would be great if it would be possible to add a list of directory names, seperated by a semi-colon, that would make the search skip (sub)directories that exactly match the directories in this list.

4. Multi Folder Searching
It would be great if it were possible to define several folders in which the search should take place.
I was thinking of the "browse for folder" dialog in which you can then not only browse to a folder, but in which you can also select multiple subfolders by using CTRL and SHIFT.

5. Drag & drop for the search results window
It would be great if freecommander would be able to support drag & drop for the search results window.
Drag & drop is not only handy for the copying of files to Windows Explorer, but also for dragging the search results to other applications, such as, for example, the destination folder list of the copy tool Limagito.

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 20.01.2008, 20:29

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think 4. should works now. Try to define more folders:
c:\Folder1;c:\Folder2;e:\Folder3

DG

#3 Post by DG » 20.01.2008, 22:49

I would like to request that search be enhanced to show lines that contain hits. As it is, FC shows files that contain the matched string and you have to browse or edit them to see if it's the one you want. By showing the line in the results window, you can see quickly the file(s) you're looking for.

Regards,
DG

ruudboek

#4 Post by ruudboek » 23.01.2008, 00:15

С wrote:About 2: Disable „Add wildcards to file name” in the settings menu of the search dialog..
I tried disabling „Add wildcards to file name” and did a search for folder named ws2. Regrettably nothing was found.
When i then enabled that setting again, it does find it, but regrettably also another folder named ws20. :(
I tried the same procedure by looking for a file instead of folder, and that does seems to work.
So this feature seems to not function in combination with folders.
Marek wrote:I think 4. should works now. Try to define more folders:
c:\Folder1;c:\Folder2;e:\Folder3
That is a nice feature, but it would be a lot easier if you wouldn't have to manually type in all these folder paths.
Adding these folders by selecting them in a browse type dialog or by simply using drag & drop from windows explorer would be infinitely less labour intensive . 8)

This is especially more confinient when you have to add a few hundred subfolders which are all located underneath one specific folder.

omerfree

Also support extending the search function (ALT+F7)

#5 Post by omerfree » 08.02.2008, 18:50

Most important is selecting folders and/or drives (like in TC). so it would be easier to check for all locations.

Also, in todays function, you can browse or type any location and separate each location with ; sign. Yet, when you select one location, then browse again for another location, it deletes the the first location (you can't browse-select-browse-select) locations.

Omer.

omerfree

Feed to list

#6 Post by omerfree » 25.07.2008, 21:17

I'll also add my request for the "feed to list box" option so you can than do some manipulation on the files.
Omer.

omerfree

Feed to list box..

#7 Post by omerfree » 08.08.2008, 08:50

This is really important as other than double clicking a file in the result menu you can do nothing with results.

Usually you want to take the files in the results and than compress them, copy them to other folder, delete them and so on.
Omer.

Uzerr

#8 Post by Uzerr » 08.08.2008, 16:21

you can do nothing with results.
After using TC for long time I've got used to : I click in search and I go to folder where files is located. Now this file is just run.

Offtopic: someone knows how to make fast search like in one of the ways in TC - alt + letter ?

omerfree

Settings > Quick search/filter

#9 Post by omerfree » 08.08.2008, 20:17

Omer.

Uzerr

#10 Post by Uzerr » 10.08.2008, 19:28

Can't find option for that there... sorry... can u be please more specific?

omerfree

Check your messages on the forum

#11 Post by omerfree » 10.08.2008, 19:34

Top of the forum, where you can see 'faq', 'search' etc.
Omer.

defza

#12 Post by defza » 25.11.2008, 14:48

I vote for 3. Exclude directories list.

This is useful when excluding all the .svn folders for example.

Great product,

Thanks.

clanman

Re: Several improvement suggestions for the Search function

#13 Post by clanman » 22.08.2011, 08:21

ruudboek wrote:3. Exclude directories list
It would be great if it would be possible to add a list of directory names, seperated by a semi-colon, that would make the search skip (sub)directories that exactly match the directories in this list.
Was this ever considered for 2009.02b? If not has it by chance been added to the public XE beta?

I have a situation where I have to search tens of thousands of files in thousands of folders for a specific phrase and this option would greatly reduce the time required.
Regards

Clanman
Using FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public on Windows 11

Hercstan

Re: Several improvement suggestions for the Search function

#14 Post by Hercstan » 10.12.2011, 22:11

I use FreeCommander XE.
I like its long vertical left window directory tree.
This would facilitate the search selection of directories immensely.

If more than one directory can be selected from the tree simply using Ctrl+mouseclick in the search function, implementation should not be too difficult.
When selecting the Search function, a popup search-list window for search directories should appear. Click on a dirctory in the directory tree window should place the name of the directory in the list. (or drag-and-drop actions?)
Adding separate search criteria per search list entry, or group entries, or all entries (default), would catch some of the suggestions.
Search in the files of directories and the hierarchy of subdirectories of each directory in the list, should be default. But clicking a button next to an entry should cancel this, so that only the selected directory (list entry) will be searched.
Searching only in file names, or text in the contents of files, should be selectable by an overall search button. This should be irrespective of files being text or not. It should be internally converted to a hexadecimal/octal character search.
Combining search criteria with AND and OR facilites would also implement some suggestions and be very useful.