Windows 10 compatibility

Bugs and issues.
Huldrich

Windows 10 compatibility

#1 Post by Huldrich » 15.04.2019, 21:57

Do you plan do make FreeCommander fully compatible with Windows 10? There are some oddities. For instance when hovering with the mouse on the close x in the upper right corner or when opening a picture with Photos the next picture in the same folder cannot be opened with the mouse by clicking on > because it does not appear like in Explorer. But above all on high resolution monitors (like 4k) there are oddities as well (very small icons for instance). I tried several adjustments in settings but they don't work satisfactorily.
I like FreeCommander a lot. It's a real alternative to Windows Explorer. Maybe it would also be a great idea to lunch a lite version with less functionality and options, just for everyday users.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

#2 Post by Marek » 18.04.2019, 22:51

For instance when hovering with the mouse on the close x in the upper right corner
Could you explain what problem you have with it?
or when opening a picture with Photos the next picture in the same folder cannot be opened with the mouse by clicking on > because it does not appear like in Explorer
As I know, the same problem have many other programs too. The opinion is that the problem is with Microsoft.
But above all on high resolution monitors (like 4k) there are oddities as well (very small icons for instance).
- Open the properties of the freecommander.exe file in your install folder.
- Change to Compatibility tab
- Set the DPI settings to the optimal value for you (System extended works fine for me)

Huldrich

Re: Windows 10 compatibility

#3 Post by Huldrich » 27.04.2019, 21:54

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

Well normally the x to close an application becomes red when hovering the mouse upon it. In Windows 7 this works flawlessly, in Windows 10 its just flickering... Not a big problem but it may rise fears that other incompatibilities exist.

The > in Photos is just an example. It works when I double click on an image in Windows Explorer so I am not sure if this is a Microsoft problem. Another example are pdfs: double clicking on them in FreeCommander yields a pdf in low resolution on a 200% scaled 4k monitor. If I open it in Acrobat it has 4k resolution. Also opening it in Explorer works flawlessly.

I tried out all combinations in the icon properties (also system extended). Some fonts and icons get right, others not. Especially the fonts in the folder panel is pixelated (low resolution).

The problem is the scaling. I have a 27" UHD monitor, so I need to scale otherwise the icons and fonts are to small. Some applications are not able to scope with this.